Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-19-2022, 09:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

330 Cat Diesel Randomly shutting down

I have an '03 Journey with the 330 Cat diesel.

I took my family on our first trip of the year after winterizing. Not a long trip, about 600 miles round trip. I had a mainly full but not topped off fuel. I did put diesel Stabil in it when I winterized it. The engine batteries went bad over the winter as I had not pulled them and charged them so I got two new Die Hard batteries and the coach started up and ran perfectly.

Somewhere in GA, I topped off the fuel at a QT when I had about a quarter tank left and about 100 later ran into some issues. The engine would die randomly. it seems to die especially under deceleration. The speed of the coach would often restart the engine with no input from me. Twice in traffic, it would not start and I had to coast to the side of the road and restart it after multiple attempts.

It really does feel like it is fuel related. Perhaps the fuel grew a fungus or had water accumulate but it was at the top so there were no issues till new fuel got dumped on the top and mixed it? Or, maybe the diesel at QT was contaminated? Either way, we made it home safely and I am at about 1/4 tank of that fuel left. The generator seemed to run fine on it. and it seemed to run better after a rough patch with only one more shutdown in the last hundred miles (vs every 5-15 minutes).

Before taking it somewhere, what should I be checking? We have a longer family trip coming up in a month and I want it to obviously not strand us.
Maddmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 05:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We had a 2003 36 foot Journey a few years back and loved it but was just too much RV for 2. Anyway if you are anywhere near Gaffney SC take it to the Freightliner RV service center there!

We lived near Knoxville TN and I would take ours there every year for the the oil change which those need yearly regardless of miles due to the oil cooled turbo charger unit and they also have a great 3 or 4 year rotating maintenance schedule for every chassis they make. It costs around $1000 a year to visit them but it was money very well spent. Ours just purred with no issues.

Sometimes hard to get on their schedule but that's all they do is RV chassis there. They have electric hookups you can use the night before for free. Absolutely the best place to get service you can trust. Join the Freightliner Owners club and get 10% off.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

On a side note we always used Pilot Flying J or Loves due to the fact of the high turnover of fuel at those places so you know it's clean and fresh. I'd avoid stations that had one or two pumps off to the side. I'm sure I paid more. Plus I prefer using the truck lanes when getting fuel just easier to maneuver around. I may have added some sort of fuel stabilizer once or twice in the 8 years we owned it. I just always kept the tank full when parked. Maybe faulty logic but it worked for me :-)
Old 04-24-2022, 05:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I am not sure where you are in the process but it does sound like FP issue. there is a list of low hanging fruit to do first.

First off I would replace the fuel Filter(s) Mine rig and many have two, One on the motor passenger side and a water separator that is normally accessible and visible at the rear of the rig. I would first drain some fuel from the water separator and see what you get. that my be informative.

next i would change out the filter in the side of the motor, its normally a smaller filter and its the important one. If possible i would get and use only Cat filters, they are the right spec for your motor and cheaper that NAPA.

If that does not resolve your problem there is a fuel pressure regulator at the back of the head (facing the front of the coach) you can put a fp gauge there to see what your PSI is. Lastly if your rig has a hand pump on the fuel filter that is on the motor, that pump can fail and allow air to enter the system and they have known to fail I keep a spare they are about 70.00 from Frieghtliner. I would start there and see what you find.

Report back so we know if you found it or what you found.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My best internet diagnosis is fuel filters. My C7 acted the same way. I changed both filters - primary and secondary. and the problem was gone. I also installed a priming pump next to where the secondary filter is. I bought the genuine Cat primer. I works great to prime the filters and the engine starts and purrs like a Cat!
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

While fuel delivery is my first suspicion, and I would certainly rule out clogging of the first fuel filter rear of the engine, I would like to point out another possibility.

Since you changed the batteries, I have to point out that some kind of an intermittent connection could cause the engine to die randomly. Depending upon the time you were driving at you may not have noticed lights going out or dimming.

I'm not saying that this is the most likely concern with your intermittent engine failures, but it could be a cause and I wanted to point it out.
Mongobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Do turn off a Diesel you stop fuel flow, is it possible that the solenoid is normally closed and when you turn on ignition the opens the solenoid? and possibly a bad connections there?
Old 04-25-2022, 12:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmart94 View Post
Do turn off a Diesel you stop fuel flow, is it possible that the solenoid is normally closed and when you turn on ignition the opens the solenoid? and possibly a bad connections there?
Actually, I was thinking that messing with the cables, and possibly their connections in the battery bay, could cause an intermittent connection which would cut off the "ignition" 12VDC.

It is unlikely, but has a non-zero probability, and given my experience with equipment, diesel engines and 20 year old equipment, I might try to somehow monitor my "ignition" 12V line when driving around.

Based upon the symptoms, I would first be chasing the first fuel filter, and perhaps cutting it open to see if there was algae build-up.

But if out for a drive, attention to 12V display lights might be in order, if there is another failure. If that happens, I would first do a cleaning of the connections at the battery, and the various connections near the battery. I am not as concerned about the battery posts, because there was no description of difficulty cranking the engine to get it started.

Hopefully the cause is found quickly, and we find out what it was.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for your input. I will try the filters and check the batteries. I did notice when I changed out the batteries that one of the cables seemed to be rubbing against the chassis. Maybe it rubbed through and is causing an intermittent ground?

Where is a good on-line source for the Cat filters and water separator? I should order some to keep on hand.

My next trip is in about three weeks so I need to figure it out before then.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The secondary fuel filter can be ordered directly from CAT. you can enter your engine serial number to get the correct one. You will need to get the OEM primary fuel filter/water separator from Freightliner as it was part of the chassis build. You will need the VIN and they can look it up.

Just as an aside, I keep both serial numbers in my phone so I always have them available.
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I am not sure where you are in the process but it does sound like FP issue. there is a list of low hanging fruit to do first.

First off I would replace the fuel Filter(s) Mine rig and many have two, One on the motor passenger side and a water separator that is normally accessible and visible at the rear of the rig. I would first drain some fuel from the water separator and see what you get. that my be informative.

next i would change out the filter in the side of the motor, its normally a smaller filter and its the important one. If possible i would get and use only Cat filters, they are the right spec for your motor and cheaper that NAPA.

If that does not resolve your problem there is a fuel pressure regulator at the back of the head (facing the front of the coach) you can put a fp gauge there to see what your PSI is. Lastly if your rig has a hand pump on the fuel filter that is on the motor, that pump can fail and allow air to enter the system and they have known to fail I keep a spare they are about 70.00 from Frieghtliner. I would start there and see what you find.

Report back so we know if you found it or what you found.

So, I'm just starting to play with this today.

I drained the oil/water separator and there was no water in it. I checked the batteries and they are all well connected so no issue there.

I pulled out the bag of manuals to figure out where the fuel filters are and I found the box ends. It and it looks like the previous owner used Wix filters. Is that a bad thing?

Also, I can't seem to find the engine serial number. I even crawled under the coach. I have the Vin and chassis serial number but not the Cat serial number.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmike View Post
So, I'm just starting to play with this today.

I drained the oil/water separator and there was no water in it. I checked the batteries and they are all well connected so no issue there.

I pulled out the bag of manuals to figure out where the fuel filters are and I found the box ends. It and it looks like the previous owner used Wix filters. Is that a bad thing?
Allot of people use Wix filters with no problems. My rig came with a Wix for the rear mounted primary filter, but had the CAT 2 micron filter on the engine.

Happy hunting.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

After a Google search and got ahold of Daimler to get the serial number.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Call the 24/7 freightliner number with you vin number they should be able to get you the information you need. I like wix filters
Old 05-06-2022, 12:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

So, I must be losing my mind as I removed the rear bed and the two access panels but I can't find the filter on the engine. How can I be missing a large yellow filter? Underneath, I easily find the oil filter but I can't seem to find the fuel? In addition, I'm also looking for the place where I should be greasing the fan pulley while I'm in here.

You tube videos are either of boat engines or of people talking about how to replace without actually showing where it is like this one.

The Cat manual is no help either. Any clues on this? I assume it is not an OEM cat filter as the yellow would make it easy to see. Is in on the left, right, front, or back?

Thanks again!
Old 05-06-2022, 12:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Here is a video of what I'm seeing.

https://youtu.be/_VZ8AK3Ep3E
Old 05-06-2022, 01:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

look in the back from outside. mine is remotely located between the radiator and the grill
Old 05-06-2022, 01:58 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winne fuel filter.PNG
Views:	38
Size:	854.1 KB
ID:	182762  
Old 05-06-2022, 02:02 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmart94 View Post
here

Thanks! I know my oil water separator is back there but I did not remember seeing the secondary filter. It is raining cats and dogs right now but as soon as it blows over, I will check.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:05 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Maybe im wrong about what im seeing, I pay a shop to service mine, just assumed it was fuel filter.

Tags
cat, diesel