Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-12-2023, 12:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2017 View 24G brownout during a toilet flush

In my '17 View 24G, when I flush the toilet, the current draw causes a major brownout, which in turn resets some of the appliances. Having to restart a DVD just because of a nature call is getting frustrating.

Any advice?

Further info...I bought used, in fantastic condition. House batteries were not full of water when I checked. I filled with distilled water.

Could the house batteries be the culprit?

Brownouts occur regardless of shore power or on-generator.
Bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 02:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Brown out is a rather strange way to put it IMO. If there is an electric flush boost on the crapper then most likely it is drawing far too much juice. If this were not the case then every time the pump came on opening a tap there would be power drops.
Best bet is to find a diagram of the setup and see what uses power then isolate what is causing an over draw.
If you are running on shore power and the problem persists then it is on the 12 volt circuit side not the shore power.

Could be something as simple as a sticking solenoid valve on a power flush style toilet causing the issues. High pressure flush toilets can be a little tricky to deal with.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:25 PM   #3
Site Team

I don't think the View comes with a power flush toilet, but some models do have a macerator in the dump system.

Does the "brownout" occur whenever you run water? Or just when you flush the Toilet? Does it do this on shore power or just when on battery power?

The macerator shouldn't run except when you are dumping the Gray and Black tank. There is a "Waste Pump" switch in your Wet Utility compartment if you have a Macerator. Not all models do - I don't see one mentioned in the View Operator's Manual for the 24G model View. Unless you are dumping your tanks the gate valves should be closed and that "Waste Pump" switch set to off.

It does draw plenty of power and since you mentioned the batteries then it could just be weak house batteries.

If you get the brownout anytime you use water - then perhaps it's the water pump that's causing the dip in voltage?

Best to figure all this stuff out as soon as you can.

Here's the image of the Waste Pump switch in your Operator's Manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 4.26.58 PM.png
Views:	26
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	186321  
Old 06-12-2023, 04:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Looking at the parts catalog here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

It indicates there were two different builds for that year, early as shown by having a 1 as the 7th digit of the RV serial number or a 2 for the later build.
But both seem to show a macerator stool.

My first thought was that any single item that drew the 12VDC battery power down enough to call it a brownout would be likely to trip a breaker or fuse. But if both the macerator on the stool as well as fresh water pump both start at the same time, that may change the issue.

A bit more info on the DVD and what is powering it? Is it a 110 AC and is it working through an inverter when it has to reset? If it is 110AC from shore power, that confuses things but if it is using the 12VDC to "make" 110AC, that leans toward a batttery supply issue.

Some small tests may help sort it.
One would be to let us know when and how it happens. What do you mean by brownout? I assume the lights go way down? Check that!

Then a way to sort is to note if it happens when you are plugged in and should have good reliable AC as well as DC power from the converter.

One big point to keep in mind for future is that batteries that run dry are often damaged and may need to be replaced sooner rather than later. Going by a parts shop like Auto Zone might be a good place to get a free load test done as a pretty reliable way to judge their value?

Maybe something like the stoool is drawing far too much current but that is not a big one for me as it would be expected to trip a breaker or fuse.
Dirty/corroded cables can really cut the power to things
Possible the batteries are not holding a good charge and working things off the inverter are pretty quick to point out any of that trouble.

More info needed!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 12:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all the help. The event only occurs when the macerator kicks in. I'm taking the rig to Batteries+ today for a check.

No waste pump on the '17 24G.

From Morich:
"A bit more info on the DVD and what is powering it? Is it a 110 AC and is it working through an inverter when it has to reset? If it is 110AC from shore power, that confuses things but if it is using the 12VDC to "make" 110AC, that leans toward a battery supply issue."

The above is exactly my thought.

I'll update once I know something.

Thanks again, owners.
Bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 03:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

With the new info we can get a bit closer to some info.
One place I checked for the DVD player, is not showing it as such but it may be working off an outlet and just not labeled for me to notice. Perhaps you can spot the locations better to see if it would be off or through the inverter?

Main electrical drawings here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

Moving on past that to the 110AC portion, find the inverter but no info on DVD here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000182319.pdf

Sheet 4 bottom right shows the inverter and what is powered from it. Maybe a check there for what you might spot that I'm missing as I find no mention of DVD??
But that is pretty much guessing and you may do far better!

My first thoughts once past old/ bad batteries is corrosion as it is so common. RV seem especially prone as we may let them set for so long between trips. Things that set often go downhill faster than using them, so a good look at any battery connections, even past the cables on the posts, is often a good shot.
One that can be easy to miss and does the same things as a bad connection on power is the negative/ground cable. It is often one that runs down over the back of the battery rack to a spot on the frame. That spot is also where it gets lots of water, dirt and everything that is not good for keeping things clean!

Some other bits of info that "might" help if you get into chasing cables around is this drawing for the location and how some cables are run. Not my favorite type to try to read but maybe some use?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000181387.pdf

Also winnebago does use a tape on the ends of things like battery cables to help ID them, both on charts and the cables.

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery cable ID.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	186330

I may send more info on drawings than you need or want but I figure it is easy to get it off the screen, if no good!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I would disconnect the batteries or turn them off at the switch and try the system on ac to dc straight power. If flushing the toilet still causes a serious voltage drop then most likely it is the macerator starting to fail. I have heard of macerators bogging down with cloths and other stuff that accidentally gets dropped down the john. It is a frequent problem in houses that have macerator /lift pump systems to septic systems or to sewer which require a holding lift pump system for the sewer system. Never much fun to fix but a common problem to say the least.

The RV should be designed to work the 12 volt system without batteries as long as AC power is available to the rig. We ran our trailer for a while without batteries when the old ones gave up the ghost.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet, view