Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Toilet flush ball rotates as soon as pedal is depressed

2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J.

The toilet flush ball begins to rotate as soon as I depress the foot pedal. Water does emit into the toilet but will not collect as the ball is partially open.

Is this something that needs to be adjusted?

In all other aspects the toilet works quite well.

Thanks
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

On my toilet, lifting the flush lever fills the bowl without opening the valve, pushing down on the lever opens the drain valve and runs the water.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks.

Mine is different. You push down a little and the water runs but the ball does not turn. Once there is sufficient water in the bowl, depressing further turns the ball.

I just half filled the fresh water tank with bleach water to sanitize and was running the water in each output until I smelled bleach.

I wonder if there might still have been air in the toilet line (although I don't recall hearing air or seeing sputter).
Old 10-05-2017, 01:55 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It would help to know the make and model of the toilet. On some, there is a flush valve kit that can be replaced that might cure your problem. Or perhaps the foot lever is not actuating the valve properly.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Something doesn't sound right. Are you sure that lifting the pedal doesn't add water to the bowl? Is this a new to you RV? If not, is this a new development?

The fact that (according to your first post) the ball starts moving as soon as you press the pedal makes me believe it is working as designed, and there is a different way to add water without opening the ball.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Toilet is a Thetford Aqua-Magic. I am not sure of the exact model.

The operation is the foot pedal depressed 1/2 way is supposed to release water then full depression flushes (ball rotates).

The rig is not new to us.

Here is the situation:

I sanitized the fresh water tank and lines using 1/4 cup bleach and 1/2 full freshwater tank. Ran the water through the lines until I could smell bleach.

During this flushing of the lines, I did the toilet as well. This is when I noticed the water not necessarily starting when the pedal is 1/2 depressed but rather the ball seeming to turn almost immediately.

I suppose the situation could be the water line to the toilet still had some air in it and thus water did not come right away. But I did try a number of times and although water did come out, the ball seemingly turned immediately rather than after 1/2 depression.

Maybe I am just being paranoid.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman View Post
Toilet is a Thetford Aqua-Magic. I am not sure of the exact model.

The operation is the foot pedal depressed 1/2 way is supposed to release water then full depression flushes (ball rotates).

The rig is not new to us.

Here is the situation:

I sanitized the fresh water tank and lines using 1/4 cup bleach and 1/2 full freshwater tank. Ran the water through the lines until I could smell bleach.

During this flushing of the lines, I did the toilet as well. This is when I noticed the water not necessarily starting when the pedal is 1/2 depressed but rather the ball seeming to turn almost immediately.

I suppose the situation could be the water line to the toilet still had some air in it and thus water did not come right away. But I did try a number of times and although water did come out, the ball seemingly turned immediately rather than after 1/2 depression.

Maybe I am just being paranoid.
Go here: Parts for Thetford RV Products | Thetford

ID your particular model, find the flush valve part # and see if you can find it for a better price on the web, even Amazon. If you have never had a problem with your toilet till now it has served you well. They are not a big deal to replace and should not cost more than $35, if I recall correctly.

Rick Y
Old 10-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

You might check to see if the bolt that secures the water valve to the toilet shell has gotten loose and moved so that you have your problem , I believe on this particular Thetford there is short connecting rod from the ball valve assembly to the water valve and the two parts are separate. FYI on my Thetford, to fill the bowl with water after a flush I depress the pedal much less than halfway to get water flow without opening the ball valve.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

OK here is the situation...

The Flush Pedal is attached to a cable which runs to the back of the toilet where it is attached to a link rod. The link rod is attached to a mechanism which has 2 detents.

When the rod is in one detent it activates the water valve.

As the pedal is pressed further, it extends the cable which pushes the link rod such that it progresses to the second detent.

Then the ball is rotated.

When the pedal is released the rod is pulled back to the first detent and is ready for the next flush.

If the rod is not periodically lubricated at the end which engages the detents, the rod can (and in my case did) stay in the second detent. Thus no water but immediate ball rotation.

Needless to say this is not documented anywhere. I am sure mine has not been lubricated since manufacture.

So a simple fix - if you can get to it.

In our commode room I am just too big (6'1" 250 lbs) to fit in the area let along get my arms and hands back there.

So I contracted it out.

Lubricate the rod end which engages the detent with a small bit of grease (not silicone or WD-40 sprays) on a toothpick. Not much needed at all. Then pull the rod back to the first detent. It helps to have a magnifying mirror so you can see what is going on.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Chiliman, thanks for posting this fix. I have been having the exact problem and it has been driving me crazy. Now I know what my next project is. I also have a spray attachment next to the toilet that is not working so I will have to check that out while I fix the fill issue.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Got to admit that I've lubed a lot of things like the steps and doors but never really thought about lubing the toilet!!
Maybe somebody should compile all these weird items and write a book?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Chillman this write-up is excellent. I can't feel those detents very well with my foot, and sometimes end up dumping my carefully made toilet full of water. Have to start filling over again. Irritating toilet!

My question is this - could the toilet be removed to lubricate this rod, or would that be a lot of work? Could I make the detents more positive? Is a new seal required when removing?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2018, 07:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Regarding the toilet sprayer/cleaner, in my case the first one I had was clogged with minerals apparently from deposits.

A soak in white vinegar (in my case a few hours) cleared the deposits. If you are not in a place where you can remove the spray head it can also work by just sitting the sprayer in a container of white vinegar with the hose attached.

Hopefully this will work for you. If not new spray heads can be found in any hardware and it is easy to replace.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Regarding removing the toilet. I suppose that could be done but that seems rather radical and I imagine a fair amount of work.

The detents are not that positive I have to agree. However, I think as the rod loses lubrication the feel becomes less apparent. So maybe it is time for yours.

There is a shroud around the base of the toilet (in my case). It is fairly flexible and as I recall held together by a bungee cord like arrangement.

The actual procedure is really quite simple but in my commode area there is not much room making it a challenge. I certainly would recommend getting one of those little mirrors which are on an extendable pole which can also be propped up if you plan on doing this yourself. Then a toothpick and a very small dab of even a medium duty lube will get the rod lubed.