Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-03-2020, 05:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

14 Vista 35F Slide out wiring Harness routing

I have tried to determine the routing of the wiring harness from the slide controller to the slide motors. I see from diagrams that the wiring has 2 harness, one for each motor. My controllers are each (2 slides) located in the basement, one on each side of motor home. Question:
1. How are the wiring harnesses routed from controller?

2. Are they routed straight up to under the slide then up the slide walls to the motors? (Under the slide some how and then up)

3. Or are they routed along the inside of the walls (edge) of the basement and then up to the slide walls?

I can't seem to find how they are routed once the leave the controller. I have even removed the metal end plate in the large slide basement so I could see the controller.

We suspect that the problem may be in the harness connection to the motor. (Broken)

Before I start this project with or without my repair shop I would like to know what to expect.

Since both are Lippert slides I have sent an email to see if they know how Winnebago routed the wiring harness on each slide.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated as I am trying to get this work completed before month's end since we have a trip planned and the slides are not working properly.

I am hoping that I do not have to get under the slide to route the harness.

The picture show the wiring directly behind drivers seat coming from some place and going up the slide wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Slide Harness.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	174136  
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Seems like they have not done us any favors on slide info on the drawings, so consider this to be an "idea" that needs to be checked?
I have the 31KE vista and thought I need to access the slide motor at one point. I was told (unverified!) that the wiring goes up each corner to the motor located near the top of the column on each end, with one set running along the bottom outside trim to get to the far end.
I was prepping to remove the corner trim outside, but before doing that I found the slide was just somewhat jammed due to wife and I both working at the same time. We let the jacks down at the same time we were moving the slide! Not good!
So I have not verified this and drawings show me nothing for your question.
I see you have found drawings for some info, so does it help any if you try to access the motor wiring at the controller to test for continuity to the motor? Or more logical to try removing the trim to see the motor?
Trim in yellow is what I was told to access motor:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	174137  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Richard: I think you are correct. But how do you get to that location? My repair guy says some RV are routed along the inside of the basements and then straight up the slide (Yellow).....And some are straight up from the controller to the bottom of slide and then split to each side in the Yellow area. I also FYI today have been checking pricing for the motors. Much less on Amazon or E-Bay than Winnebago Parts. However, the wiring harness I can't find any place but the Winnebaro Parts.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

That's where the drawings leave us a total blank as they do not show the slideout at all as if there was a huge hole in the wall! What I see seems to be missing anything to do with motors or wiring to get them powered.
My "desperate situation" thinking was that the wiring is less prone to being open along the path than at either end, so getting to the motor might give you a short enough connecting cable to check it plugged in, etc.
I was told the motors are just inside the trim strip and near the top but I never got that far to verify.
Looking at the picture, does the wiring go under part of the slide which moves, so that there would be a point to wear right at the edge? I don't have a point like that and my control is high on the wall opposite side of the RV.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Slide

Maybe this will help
Old 07-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Well, that is interesting. Now I'm wondering if the slide on my Winnebago is the same design or if there is actually access from the outside? The fellow I talked to did mention the screw and said once it was out, the motor would just pop up if a screwdriver was pressed under the motor to pry up. But I don't know because much of what this Coachman had looked very like the parts I have seen from the inside of my slide. I have about four inches on the left side to access things and there is the rubber seal and mine was hanging loose at the top. That might say somebody had been in there to work on something and When reattaching the seal, I did have the wires like this shows.
If there is a gap left in the top portion of the and the slide were out, it would certainly be much easier to access the motor with lots more room when working from outside. But that gap may only be in my mind and not in the metal!!!!

EDIT: Just by chance as I was wondering if there was a difference in designs, a second U'tube came on and it does show a totally different approach and this little lady does it in a different way and from the outside as she shows a way to open the slide!

Looking at the two, one being the guy who appears to be working at a shop and this being a pure amateur but very dedicated, The lady seems to be better at the repair!
Give me nightmares when I think about taking things to a shop!
The shop had told the lady it was definitely a wiring harness defect but it turns out to be wiring but a simple solder job to fix!
Old 07-04-2020, 06:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Richard

Have you seen this?

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001773.pdf
Old 07-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

WOW! That looks like a great find. Now the question is whether we each have the current model as this is written for or an older model. Quick read, I don't find what year this was written but certain to have lots of good info that has not changed.
The big picture looks like it has lots of good ideas for moving the slide (jog) but then it depends on where each controller may be located. Nice would be if the controller is not someplace that it is covered by the slide but I know some are l;ike on the slide bottom. That leaves using the jog being no help or if one motor is not working, that side is not going to move.
That's where knowing what to do and the manual not helping much gets me!
Interesting note? found this at the bottom:
The contents of this manual are proprietary and copyright protected by Lippert Components, Inc. (“LCI”).
LCI prohibits the copying or dissemination of portions of this manual unless prior written consent from an
authorized LCI representative has been provided. Any unauthorized use shall void any applicable warranty.
The information contained in this manual is subject to change without notice and at the sole discretion of LCI.
Revised editions are available for free download from lci1.com.

Maybe our best first move should be to always call and ask for help?

Thanks for sending it along as I will copy it to store in my file---just in case it's a cold snowy night and Christmas eve when things go wrong.

Correction:
This is revision 08-07-2018! down at bottom left corner.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Have a Sunstar 2018 32YE. Had to replace the motor for the front slide last year. Need to take trim off from the inside. You’ll see the power wire run from top to bottom. Slide stopped working on our annual snowbird trip. Motor was all rusted on top. New motor has a protected sheath over it.
Dalep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:58 AM   #10
Happy Camper

My 2015 Sunova 35G's passenger side slide has a flexible cable trough located in the cargo area under the slide. It's hidden behind a metal panel that protects the flexible trough under the center of the slide. The flexible trough extends and retracts with the slide
fkempf216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out, wiring