Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Drones

How many folks fly drones after setting up camp? Trying to get a feel for how popular this is...

JD
JDHarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHarrin View Post
How many folks fly drones after setting up camp? Trying to get a feel for how popular this is...

JD
We have one for work. I’ve brought it along, but not deployed it yet. Many parks do not allow drones. A guy was flying one the other day next door to us. Flying over people—not cool.

Be careful if you fly yours at the beach. Seagulls are very territorial and have tried to take mine down out over the ocean several times. Scary...
Old 08-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yet another reason to bring my shotgun. /jk
Old 08-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I find my drone of very little use as I have no practical business use and it gets way too scary when new folks are around. I just do not trust folks to have good sense about what I'm doing and get all these weirdos who insist I must be peeking or invading their privacy without their even looked at how poor the resolution if I'm not nearly knocking them down and there tends to be folks who want to just cause trouble like catching it or sending their dogs out. Kid should not run out to catch it as it comes down!
Much of the world is no longer a civil, thinking, group so it is just more trouble than it's worth.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
Veteran & RV Owner

I have a DJI Phantom 3 that I used a few times while in the RV. The problem with flying drones are the numerous restrictions to flight. Most state and national parks prohibit them. It is not a good idea flying one over an RV Resort due to safety considerations.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Drones are getting more and more restrictions put on and lots of it seems to be a reaction to the number of people who feel they have to hide to do whatever it is they are doing!
In trying to figure something of interest to do with a drone, I once spotted some type of animal working along a cliff face in the woods and thought I might get something of interest by flying up higher and closer to it. About ten minutes in, a couple came raging out of the woods, threatening all kinds of harm if I didn't stop watching them!
Which brings up what they were doing or with whom if they did not want to be seen!
Too many "varmints" of too many kinds for me.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Drones are getting more and more restrictions put on and lots of it seems to be a reaction to the number of people who feel they have to hide to do whatever it is they are doing!
I think it's more just that they're annoying when you're out trying to relax, sort of like generators and jet skis, but not nearly as bad.

On the other hand I was once out hiking in a Cascades wilderness area and had some Air Force fighters go overhead practicing their low altitude maneuvers. That was shockingly extreme, but not really annoying. Saw the same camping at Bumping Lake.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Not in state or national parks and a lot more places. Most people find them annoying. Save your money or keep it at the home that doesn't move.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I bought a cheap one a couple of years ago, played with it for a while and it's been sitting in a cabinet ever since. At the time I was even watching podcasts on building one.

Now I have no interest in the and I wouldn't want one buzzing around my campsite. In my opinion, if one is a good idea for you, such as for photography, you will have already decided why it's a good idea. Otherwise, it's kind of like asking "should I buy a hammer?" without knowing what you'll do with it.

If you think you're interested, buy an inexpensive beginner model and try it. You don't want to learn on one that costs hundreds of dollars.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have several drones. Because of restrictions I rarely fly the larger more expensive drone while camping (unless boondocking and I'm 99% sure no one else is around). But, for fun, I have a micro-drone, fits easily on the palm of your hand, has a camera (not very good), and you fly it using your smartphone (not much range). It is fun to fly within the foot-print of your campsite. I've never had anyone object to it although a State Park Ranger could confiscate it I suppose as I would be taking off and landing on park property. Now, with COVID, both my drone flying and our camping at State Parks are suspended.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Drones

Most people who have drones dont register them and invade peoples privacy and fly in restricted air space. Being a rc airplane pilot I find the drone boring after a bit anyway.

Keep your drone in the box and folks wont be upset.
Dpforza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:47 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Yet another reason to bring my shotgun. /jk
Well, people use drones, and fly them where they should not (over people, over campgrounds, etc).

That said, there’s a drone phobia out there as well.

While we’re staying at this RV park, a guy flew his drone out over the ocean, and then landed it near us.

So what did the drone “see” that this guy couldn’t...hint, the drone is that small white thing out over the ocean...look carefully, and you can see it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B48CE82B-EB45-42A4-B586-F7031EB8F3B5.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	174755  
Old 08-24-2020, 06:39 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

From the replies so far you can understand that planning to fly a (UAS) Unmanned Aircraft System AKA Drone, is complicated and requires understanding the risks and requirements. Your question does not say you are FAA certified or a hobbyist but everyone is required to follow Federal, State and local regulations. Doing so will help you eliminate conflicts with those who have no clue about what you are doing and might unsafely or illegally interfere.
I recommend you fly away from people from open areas that takeoff and landing is allowed that has room for you to see obstructions and nearby people and never loose sight of your aircraft.
I am an FAA certified UAS remote pilot and for the most part use my drones as an aerial camera platform.
Perhaps you can contact hobby flying groups along your way so they may offer safe places to fly nearby. I’ve done that in a couple of locations.
Here is wishing you a safe a happy flight!
Rick
Rickb33952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I'm also an FAA UAS Remote pilot. I see sky-high video in some of the full-timers intro videos so I know some use them. I haven't taken my drones with me yet while camping, but would like to do so at the more scenic locations...
JDHarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I don't have any drones. I would be very annoyed to have a drone flying near my campsite.
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:19 PM   #16
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
I don't have any drones. I would be very annoyed to have a drone flying near my campsite.
Define “near”...
Old 09-05-2020, 10:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I don't go out naked so all anyone would see is my bald head. I might even look up and wave.

Take a look at what I'm grilling. Come on by and maybe tip a few or have a bite.

Bring it on!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Define “near”...
Shotgun range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I don't go out naked so all anyone would see is my bald head. I might even look up and wave.
For me it's not the privacy, but the noise. So my serious answer to defining "near" would be ear range and I can't hear that well, especially high frequencies.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Other than photographing from the air, what is the purpose of a recreational drone?

I can see commercial uses, industrial uses, even military, but why do people need to be filing other people from the air?
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatt View Post
I can see commercial uses, industrial uses, even military, but why do people need to be filing other people from the air?
Why do people need to take pictures of their food and post them on Facebook?

Both are so they can show other people that they actually live some form of life.