Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
You could do that with cameras on the vehicle--stitching together different angles. Many new cars have such systems. It's really sort of eerie, making you wonder how they do it. I haven't seen an RV system, but I suspect they exist.

It might not cover overhead objects though.
The surround view camera system works well on my truck, but it does not provide a wide field of view. I’m sure they have camera based systems for Class A/C motorhomes. The drone would give a broader field of view (see your goal as well as nearby obstacles) and would work on articulated systems like truck/trailer combos which are more challenging via the “stitching” method.
backtrack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:39 PM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Drones are limited to 300', can be overridden if needed (special licence far107 I think) and there are NO FLY zones which NO drone legally can fly in - one hopes this area is a NO Fly zone - or they are being foolhearted and stupid - NOT the first time fighter jocks are foolish or last.

ps: a miss is as good as infinity ft when in the air !! but a diaper may be needed by all !
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Google did this for missing areas across the USA, had a largish setup of 360 degree cams on roof of cars - would just drive and record, thus google can offer maps down to the street level for some places - you can also Derive ground level with correct software.

ps: stitching is very easy of still pics, have no clue how to do that for video, would have to stitch frame by frame, would be a bit harder for compressed video as it is not frame by frame but is a composite of multiple frames to get a single frame - some only 'renew' what changed for very good compression and small file sizes - makes s/w much harder to stitch or edit in general. this is when all those 7,12,16 core cpus and graphic cards can be used as an oven !!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:05 AM   #44
Winnebago Master

Here's an example of how some drone owners can make the larger group look bad.

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/artic...d-15573579.php
Old 09-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #45
Winnebago Camper

I have been flying drones for a couple years now. Started with some toy ones but although ok at home if careful, find them so unpredictable that I would not fly them around people or out in public (except at park with a lot of room). They are good for practice and fun but after getting a more advanced drone with GPS I rarely fly the toys now.

I do photography and love the point of view it adds to my videos.
I have registered with FAA but it is hard to find non restricted locations to fly now. You are running the risk of fines if you fly in any State or Federal Park unless you have permission. Make sure you check all the rules and regulations the FAA has. Smaller lightweight drones do not have to be registered but rules still apply.

I try to be very careful and never fly near people. Most of my videos are nature and scenics and never had anyone complain to me about the craft.
GaryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:42 PM   #46
Winnebago Camper

I take my drone with me. Never fly around others. Usually use for aerial shots of nature I cannot get to. Often surprised what I video when I get it to the laptop in the evening. Sometimes use it to scout out boondocking sites / area and area around me. A far as being annoying around campgrounds, I am annoyed with the little 4 legged yelpers people travel with. But do not let it bother me to where I can not enjoy myself, or meeting and talking to them. People used to go camping to get away from crowds. Now we are often in campgrounds 20 ft apart.
RiverGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote