Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2024, 06:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Thermostat replacement 2013 Ellipse 42QD

Hi, I'm an old member from 2004, then I changed rv's..

I have a 2013 42QD ALL electric Ellipse, the thermostat operation stopped recently for the house functions. I removed it from the panel, disconnected both power clips, waited a couple of hours and reconnected it. Nothing on the screen but house temp, so it has power. I followed the reset instructions in the manuals, nothing happened, I then researched online by Colman Mach ZC. Nothing changed. Checked the basement batteries as suggested, cleaned the battery solar panel, Guage shows 12.3

I contacted Forest City Winn parts department and it seems that the thermostat is obsolete now. The suggestion was to replace it. But everything I see ⁹online concerns me.
This thermostat operated the house and basement temp for the aqua hot, the heat pump, the 3 AC units by zones, and fresh air fan/recycle air.

To me I believe these operations are certainly park of the wiring and how do I find a thermostat that will have 10 wires to match the original? Any hints?

Winn parts is trying to find out what I can do or hopefully find a solution, but they are snowed in at Forest City.

I contacted several rv tech here in San Diego, CA.
That was a non started too.

I am down to taking the PC board have it tested an have the parts replaced but I don't if that's a fools errand.
Any thoughts?
dgarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 08:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi and welcome back!

Have you researched replacing your thermostat with a Micro Air Easy Touch RV thermostat? I don’t know if they have a model that will work for your motorhome or not. But many of us have made this switch in our motorhomes.

Here’s the link to their website, they are good about detailing which thermostats are changeable to their device. https://www.microair.net/pages/easyt...select-a-brand

Also, I have read on IRV2.com of others that did take a control board to an electronic repair shop and had some components replaced. That worked for them.

Best of luck.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Step one may be to get a clear picture in mind of what a thermostat really is when we ask it to do something.
Basic point is that the thermostat is just a set of switches that turn on other parts of the RV. We can then look at it as a simple set of switches with switches on it that tells it what we want to control.
It sounds like you made a good start by looking for info on the particular thermostat you have, so it may be time to just dive deeper into that info you have.

I might first want to define what portion of the thermostat is not working?
I has several functions, so just saying it is not working, really doesn't define the problem close enough. What functions are working and which are not?
When you turn it to fan only, does the fan work?
Turned to cool, does the air seem to work?
How about any of the various heat sources work or not?

When you get a better idea of what does or doesn't work, you can often find info in the manuals which lead to knowing which wire does each operation. There will be wires going from the thermostat to the AC, wires going to the furnace sources, etc.
One of the bigger problems with thermostats is that they fail because the inputs and outputs fail!
If the wire between the thermostat and the furnace comes loose, it looks exactly like the thermostat failed!

One way that may lead to info on which wire does which function may be as simple as pulling/ tugging the set of wires attached to the thermostat body, up out of the wall to get to the wires added by Winnebago. Tug and wiggle somewhat gently if they are tight but try to find the connections which are often 8-10 inches away from the thermostat.

If you get those Winn. wires exposed, look for wire ID stamped on the wire ends!
Click image for larger version

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	188197

If finding Id, then go to this chart to decode that label ID:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

You may find ID like these? Click this snip for better view!
Click image for larger version

Name:	therm.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	188198

This is just part of the thermostat wire ID listed (maybe 150?) so you will have to find the correct listing for what you have but the idea is that you will then know which wires to test, based on what has failed!
In this example, check the simple stuff like 12volts and ground getting to the thermostat as a first step?
If the heat is the problem, does wire JJ for the heat get where it should? Maybe that connector in the wall has fallen off? Or maybe it is corroded where it connects at the furnace?

I would not change the thermostat until I checked the wire nuts!

If we are at home and the TV stops, first check that the neighborhood still has power!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 12:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

A battery voltage of 12.3 = a 70% state of charge, which should be adequate. Have you determined if the 'stat is actually getting power to all sections? Perhaps an internal fuse?
What is the 'stat brand/model?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 07:04 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We've done 3 of the Micro-Air T-Stats for '14 and '15 Ellipses - once you get it set up everything works well - a touch more complicated set-up.
Old 01-18-2024, 05:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Hi and welcome back!

Have you researched replacing your thermostat with a Micro Air Easy Touch RV thermostat? I don’t know if they have a model that will work for your motorhome or not. But many of us have made this switch in our motorhomes.

Here’s the link to their website, they are good about detailing which thermostats are changeable to their device. https://www.microair.net/pages/easyt...select-a-brand

Also, I have read on IRV2.com of others that did take a control board to an electronic repair shop and had some components replaced. That worked for them.

Best of luck.
I agree 100%. Don't fool with the original. Replace it with the EasyTouch model for your coach. The advantages are far and away worth the money: WiFi, Bluetooth, component control separation, fantastic tech support and available updates to the thermostat.

Tags
replacement, replace, thermostat, ace