Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-03-2023, 11:00 PM   #1
Site Team

RV Absorption Refrigerator Explanation Video

I really enjoyed this RV Absorption Refrigerator explanation Video by JRs Mobile RV Service. Two quick items from the video:
  1. Open, inspect, and clean (if necessary) both the side-panel and roof vent on a regular basis.
  2. When the freezer works, but the fridge is warm, it is often from a coolant leak; as evidenced by a colored die stain.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 10-19-2023, 07:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I just replaced the cooling system on my 2002 Norcold. Was not that bad once I got the fridge out.
kkocan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 08:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi kkocan72,
What was the cost of the cooling system versus replacing the entire refrigerator?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 10-19-2023, 08:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi kkocan72,
What was the cost of the cooling system versus replacing the entire refrigerator?
Thanks, Eagle5
On our last trip on the last night we developed a strong ammonia smell so I knew the unit was shot.

I did a lot of research and went back and forth between a 12v fridge, a residential fridge, replacement or getting a kit to convert it to a 12v. Straight up replacement with a new Norcold in the new model equivalent to mine was going to run $2k.

Ultimately I decided to go with a refurbished unit from here: https://rvcoolingunit.trueims.com/sh...emanufactured_

Price was $595 plus $80 or so in shipping. But they issued a $100 refund for returning the old cooling system. While I had it out I also bought a new AC heating element (about $30), a new burner (also around $30-40 I think) and purchased a $30 12v fan that clips on the fins in the refrigerator to better circulate air and ran the wires down the back of the fridge while I had it out.

The project took me about 6 hours and I did 99% of the work by myself save getting one of my kids to help lift the fridge out and put it back in. I would have had it done in about 1/2 the time but wasted 3 hours trying to get the fridge out. TIP: some Winnebagos have an extra anchor at the top that you can only access by taking the vent cap off up on the roof and in my case one of the screws that held the 120v AC plug in the very back went through the fridge frame as well and helped prevent me from getting the unit out.

Once it was out was fairly simple removing the old cooling core and putting the new one in.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:46 PM   #5
Site Team

I think the refurbished cooling components make good sense. So the total cost was:
  • $595 + $80 - $100 + $30 +$35 = $640, plus the optional cooling fan.
It does surprise me that a new absorption fridge would cost two grand. Saving 68% by doing the rebuild yourself is certainly the way to go.
Good information to know & thanks,
Eagle5
Old 10-19-2023, 08:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If you are handy and want to take on a project and save some $$ it might be worth trying. I will post a photo gallery sometime soon of the project with progress pics.
Old 10-20-2023, 01:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Not only do you save money but from what I've read the JC unit (Amish) is superior to the factory unit.
Old 10-20-2023, 02:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Not only do you save money but from what I've read the JC unit (Amish) is superior to the factory unit.
While this did appear to be true I ended up getting the regular factory unit. It was still about $300 or more less expensive than the Amish built unit and it came with a 3 year warranty. I figure we will be trading the rig in sometime in the next 3 years so I was ok with the regular factory refurbished unit.

Tags
refrigerator