Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2022, 03:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Micro-Air 354 Easy Touch thermostat

A few of us have three roof heat pumps configured in two zones. I fall into that group.

My center unit has a bad controller. The new one should be here tomorrow. Airxcel told me that I should be able to configure my units to give me 3 zones even though I have just 2 room sensors: One in the main living area and the other in the bedroom. The tech said if the new controller is configured for zone 1 and the front unit, with the room sensor attached, is configured to zone 3 it should work fine. The zone 1, no room sensor, unit would be controlled by the sensor in the t-stat. I didn't tell him I had the 354 upgrade.

We know just how noisy these things are. Many of us shut off the breaker to one of the front units to reduce the noise. Some folks even install a switch near the service panel to turn the selected unit off and on as needed.

My hope is for this 3 zone option to alleviate all of these other work a rounds we now employ.

With the original thermostat I am not certain you will have all functions available on the all the zones. Winnebago has come up with their own wiring options. The heat may be an issue. But, if the 354 can work around this concern that will be a real plus.
I'll let you know what happens in my next post.
Rick Y
Old 02-11-2022, 04:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Rick, like you we have the fully ducted ceiling A/C complete with both air supply vents from the A/C plenum in the ceiling along with air return vents also in the ceiling. But we only have two roof top A/C units on our 37’ coach.

I think it took me three years to realize that both units supply the one plenum. Once I learned that, depending on the temps we’re dealing with,we always run the living room A/C or heat pump when sleeping to save ourselves from the noise overhead in the bedroom from the bedroom A/C unit and visa versa when spending time or watching tv in the living room.

The addition of the EasyTouch RV thermostat makes this process so much easier as I can make changes on the fly with my phone or tablet.

For users with the three A/C units it would be fantastic if this level of control was available via the EasyTouch RV thermostat. Looking forward to hearing your results.
Old 10-26-2022, 04:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

New features

I have been doing beta testing with the design engineer for the Micro-Air Easytouch RV thermostat. I am amazed at what Roger is providing for us in features.

There is a totally new look and feel to the controlling of each zone. On cooling there are several options for the fan for instance. It is no longer simply HI, LO or Automatic. Now the automatic feature has the high and low option for a bit quieter cooling mode when high fan speed is not needed.

The heat pump features are redesigned. This is a totally new look of the controls. (I'd post pictures but my cheap phone won't take one worth posting... bummer.) Now, all on the main screen for the chosen zone, you can set the cooling temperature and the heating temperature.

Here is how we use it. When we go to bed we like it cooled to 65*. If it gets cold outside and the inside temperature drops below 65* we can set the heat on to 63* to keep the RV warm. Another option might be for when you are away for a day or more. You can set the cooling to 80* and the heating to 60*.

The gas furnace backup still functions as normal. If the heat pump can't keep up it will switch automatically when the 3* threshold is met.

I have not explored all the features yet but this is the most comprehensive thermostat I have ever encountered. My step son has a very expensive smart thermostat at his cabin. It can't do what the Micro-Air thermostat is now capable of.

I have read several posts where the Colman zone control thermostat for the older systems is hard to find. The Micro-Air company is defiantly filling the void left behind.

Changes are still being made to this thermostat. When it is perfected (some bugs to work out) to what the engineer envisions I think it will be hard to find a disappointed customer.

Just to be clear about my connection with Micro-Air. I have none. I am a volunteer beta tester. No rewards for my services from the company.

Happy trails all,
Rick
Old 10-26-2022, 03:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Sounds very good Rick. Glad you are on the case. Maybe mine will get to download the update at some point.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:55 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Just FYI - getting ready to install 3 of the Micro-Air 355 t-stats (in 3 coaches). This model is a single-point control for coaches w/ 3 Coleman/Air Excel A/Cs (2 w/heat pumps). Agree with Rick - this is a significantly better approach to system management.
Glad to update on install and use if needed.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Sounds very good Rick. Glad you are on the case. Maybe mine will get to download the update at some point.
This is coming soon. Roger at Micro-Air is so dedicated. He is trying to accommodate all the suggestions that are doable from the feedback he is getting from all of us. If you have any suggestions, please send them to Micro-Air.
On this latest update he still has a couple of cosmetic changes I would like to see. For one is the font size of the controls. My week old eyes struggle to get the glaces to discern what the number is I'm looking at. The other change is the new power button. It is always red in color. I would like it to go to green when a mode is selected.
My coach now has 3 zones. The factory built it with 2 zones. Zone 1 had both the front and middle units assigned to it and zone 2 is the bedroom.

Several months ago when I changed over to the Micro-Air thermostat I asked Roger if I could have 3 zones. He suggested setting the zone option for the front unit to zone 3. He said the internal temperature of the thermostat would serve zone 1, the middle unit, that has no sensor wired to it. That worked slick. It greatly reduced the noise from the 2 units coming on at the same time.
In this latest update it seems the thermostat sensor is not being detected. Zone 1 is not working. I know Roger will fix this bug.
A new update of the phone app is to be released today for Android. I don't know if the Apple app is available yet. The previous app date was October 14, 2022.
I wonder how many folks have switch over to this thermostat? It would be interesting to know.
More to come.
Rick
Old 10-27-2022, 05:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Just FYI - getting ready to install 3 of the Micro-Air 355 t-stats (in 3 coaches). This model is a single-point control for coaches w/ 3 Coleman/Air Excel A/Cs (2 w/heat pumps). Agree with Rick - this is a significantly better approach to system management.
Glad to update on install and use if needed.
Do you now have 3 thermostats?
Old 10-28-2022, 05:02 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Each coach has a single t-stat that operates the system (could have written that better in the original reply)...
Old 10-28-2022, 06:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Each coach has a single t-stat that operates the system (could have written that better in the original reply)...
Got it. You're updating 3 RV's. That makes sense.

I look forward to your take on how they work and how well they work. I'd hold off doing the beta update. Some fine tuning needs t happen yet. The engineer I'm feeding input to is off till next week. I found a few more bugs to pass on to him. As soon as I think the update is better I'll post here.

The bugs seem to be with the way the zone power button and temperature setting buttons are behaving. To me they are a bit confusing. But the new overall design is very robust.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:12 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Rick Is there any forecast on when these t-stats will be available with newest updates? Thanks Steve
Old 11-20-2022, 04:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rick Is there any forecast on when these t-stats will be available with newest updates? Thanks Steve
Good question Steve. Roger does not advise when updates are available. But, because of your question here, I see the beta test selection isn't available today.

I just did the latest update. It is much different than the beta I was using. Very clean and simple. I'll ask Roger tomorrow if this is the official update or is another coming. I'll let you know.
Rick
Old 11-21-2022, 04:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Steve, I went back to the beta version. The update was the published one. Putting the question to Roger this morning. More to follow...
Old 11-21-2022, 09:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

EasyTouch update status

I just heard back from Roger. He is encouraging all of you to try the beta update. Please give feedback to this email address: [email protected]. He is getting good reviews from those who have installed the beta update. He has no official release date yet but indicated he is close.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:00 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Micro-Air is having an extended Black Friday sale on t-stats and easy-starts - 15% off - see their website...(make sure your browser loads to the '.net' site)

Micro-Air - Come Chill with Us | HVAC, RV, and Marine AC Controls and Displays - Electronic Soft Starters
Old 12-31-2022, 01:57 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Have installed 2 of 3 model 355 t-stats in different coaches with 3 A/Cs (2 heat pumps). My initial thoughts are below as we continue to experience their use and prepare for 3rd installation. We have not done the beta update (working internet connection). Will give feedback to Roger once we're sure of what we're talking about.

1. Mounting the t-stat is more complicated than needed. In a tight space where vertical, horizontal and level measurements need to be precise a 'bracket' would be much easier. The paper template does not match the 'length' of the mounting screw jig.
2. When selecting an option for the 'heat output setup' on a t-stat without an available serial number you can try each of the three options to get your zones to match up. Hint: we found option #2 was the right one for our Winnebago models.
3. On our systems using the 'auto' function for cooling / heat control is not preferred. E.g., one or two systems are cooling - one or two systems are heating depending on the 3 different temp sensors input.
4. On one of the two t-stats working the aqua-hot interface - ?? zone match up that may be a coach wiring issue.
5. Bluetooth function enabled easily - internet still being worked.
6. Without having done the 'beta upload':
- the zone selection numbers are very small
- t-stat requires each zone to be turned on / off separately but easy to do
- the temp change function is easy to use (holding the up or down 'touch spots' scrolls the temp)

Bottom line: very workable t-stat with bright colors and larger 'touch spots' for most functions. Loading app and building new account straightforward. Need better zone selection 'touch spots.' Still learning some nuances and working on internet connections.

Rick: is beta upload still recommended as a 'safe' option despite warning on t-stat that the update might disable its function??

Glad to help with questions, etc.
Old 12-31-2022, 09:53 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Update to my post #15 re: t-stat install:

- Figured out wi-fi connection and did beta update
-- Nice improvement in zone selection touch pads
-- Looks like a new option to smooth out 'auto' switch overs for cooling / heating
-- Zone interface figured out - my user error
-- New system power switch turns all zones off / on

- The individual zone power controls appear to be inoperative

Bottom lines: update improved ease of function. If individual zone power buttons don't work need a fix (or instructions for user). A bracket for mounting will help. If the wi-fi limit remains at 2.4 ghz may cause future access issues (but I'm not a geek).

When the third unit install is done will message Micro-air with lessons learned / improvements 'wished for'...
Old 01-01-2023, 05:58 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Update to my post #15 re: t-stat install:

- Figured out wi-fi connection and did beta update
-- Nice improvement in zone selection touch pads
-- Looks like a new option to smooth out 'auto' switch overs for cooling / heating
-- Zone interface figured out - my user error
-- New system power switch turns all zones off / on

- The individual zone power controls appear to be inoperative

Bottom lines: update improved ease of function. If individual zone power buttons don't work need a fix (or instructions for user). A bracket for mounting will help. If the wi-fi limit remains at 2.4 ghz may cause future access issues (but I'm not a geek).

When the third unit install is done will message Micro-air with lessons learned / improvements 'wished for'...
Happy New Year!
Good review.

Did you set the setup switches to your thermostat model? This is new in the beta. My old thermostat is the 8430-331. On my 354 I have NORMAL and 8430-331 as choices.
The zone off works just fine for me. Try doing a Restart. If that doesn't work do a Reset all and the update again. You have the Aqua-Hot system where I have 2 gas furnaces. There could be a gremlin there that Roger needs to look into. Let him know, please.
I don't understand there change in mounting. I had a strap that came with my thermostat. I put a screw through the hole on one end and mounted it where I wanted, then leveled the strap and mounted the other screw. Getting it level was the important part. It is a snug fit but doable. Getting the thermostat off can be a challenge. On occasion I have had to disconnect it to get a full release of the system control. Roger took care of the bugs (gremlins) as they came up.
Have a Happy and safe New Year.
Rick
Old 01-02-2023, 10:00 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Update to my posts #15 and 16

2 of 3 t-stat installs done:

- Figured out aqua-hot and power switch settings; noted that 'option' choice may not hold in the settings. Recommend after you've 'run all the settings' recheck to ensure a setting on one function didn't affect another function.

- There is a function to auto-switch between cooling / heating with a temp gap selector. We elected to not enable this function - with 3 HVAC units we didn't want 1 or 2 cooling and 1 or 2 heating at the same time based on sun affecting temp monitors and the day to night temp transitions.

Messaged the Micro-Air team for consideration of the following:

- Unable to hook to an iPhone hot spot; looking for instructions.
- Since wi-fi can only be done over a 2.4 ghz system what's at risk for future updates for us non-geeks? We used a stand-alone hot spot adjustable to 2.4 ghz to easily connect for update.
- We installed the units in vertical and horizontal tight spaces - a mounting bracket (even as an option) would have been much easier.

Thanks to Rick for his assist! Glad to help others ... welcome to the New Year!
Old 01-03-2023, 05:49 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Update to my posts #15 and 16

2 of 3 t-stat installs done:

- Figured out aqua-hot and power switch settings; noted that 'option' choice may not hold in the settings. Recommend after you've 'run all the settings' recheck to ensure a setting on one function didn't affect another function.

- There is a function to auto-switch between cooling / heating with a temp gap selector. We elected to not enable this function - with 3 HVAC units we didn't want 1 or 2 cooling and 1 or 2 heating at the same time based on sun affecting temp monitors and the day to night temp transitions.

Messaged the Micro-Air team for consideration of the following:

- Unable to hook to an iPhone hot spot; looking for instructions.
- Since wi-fi can only be done over a 2.4 ghz system what's at risk for future updates for us non-geeks? We used a stand-alone hot spot adjustable to 2.4 ghz to easily connect for update.
- We installed the units in vertical and horizontal tight spaces - a mounting bracket (even as an option) would have been much easier.

Thanks to Rick for his assist! Glad to help others ... welcome to the New Year!
Happy New Year, Steve,
I just sent you a PM about the iphone. I'm having troubles with logon in the reply of this forum. I have to copy and past a message after I reply an log back on. Most irritating.
Just how tight is this mounting space? I have a narrow door enclosure where all of my device controls are mounted. I had little trouble mounting my t-stat. The only issue I can see it the paper template vs the plastic strap one.
About the Auto heat pump function in 3 zones. Don't be shy! Experiment. Here are some suggestions:
At night, cool nights, warm days, I set the heat to come on at 64 and the cool at 72. I use zone 3 because it is the furthest from the bedroom. It also lacks aux heat.
When conditions are reversed as they are now I set zone 3 to cool to 64 and heat to 69. If it is cool out when I get up I turn on the fireplace. The offset between heat and cool is self setting in this case. Roger did a great job with this feature.
2 zones was not a good thing because both front units were set to zone 1. Much too much noise and the function of both units was overkill.

If the heat or cool temperatures are requiring all 3 units just set the Auto Heat Pump heating and cooling needs as desired. If you have the same settings in all 3 they will only respond as needed.
My zone 1 does not have a sensor. I think you have 3 sensors. I modified my system to have 3 zones. Now zone 1 uses the thermostat internal sensor. I had to use the "Temperature Adjust" setting to calibrate the thermostat. I have a cheap digital thermometer under the thermostat as a reference.

When it got to 2* last week we had to run both gas furnaces. The 354 did just fine controlling them.

I have not set up the "Schedule" yet. Where we are with the coach most of the time I don't see the need. For someone who spends long days away from their rig I think it could be very useful.

I hope these suggestions are helpful. This thermostat has a learning curve, true. But the final results by getting confident in using its many features is well worth the effort.

I'm a very happy camper with this new thermostat. The old Colman zc was always giving us reasons to have more grey hair.
Enjoy,
Rick
Old 03-01-2024, 04:58 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Beta update

A few days ago I updated to the beta version of software. After the update I noticed the room temperature needed to change by 2* before the thermostat would respond. I sent a note to Roger, the thermostat design engineer, asking for help. He said; go to settings, next, hysteresis. This is where the trip setting is. Mine was on 2. I set it back to 1 for both heating and cooling. Now the room temperature is responding more comfortably. I hope you folks who have upgraded to this thermostat are as happy as I am. Having the control options available that were missing with the OEM is a real joy.

Happy trails all,
Rick

Tags
thermostat