Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2021, 08:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Replacing thermostat with new Easy Touch RV354

I have been waiting for Micro-Air to come out with a replacement thermostat for my Airxcel RVComfort thermostat that has such a small display and they finally did so I ordered and replaced this weekend.

Install was easy, remove two screws from original, unplug connector. Install 2 new screws with a plastic spacer, plug in new thermostat and slide onto screws and you are live. The new thermostat has both Blue Tooth and Wifi built into it so you can control remotely and has larger screen with icons so you can tell what your settings are much easier and adjust them.

I had read wifi was not the greatest and can confirm it is not, and will reach out to company to see how to improve. It connects, but then says cant get to internet in a couple of hours but is still connected to mifi.

For my Journey which had a 8430A331 model thermostat, the RV354 was the model I got
Old 08-08-2021, 09:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Good info, thanks!
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
Site Team

I'm about to do the same. I know fellow winnie member @Macnut has done this to his coach and I decided after he did this that I wanted to make this upgrade as well.

The number one plus for me is being able to turn up the heat from bed. We usually set the heater for 57 on cold nights which is great for sleeping, but in the early morning while lying in bed it would be nice to warm up the RV without having to get out of a warm bed to do so.

The other, if the wifi works well enough, is to be able to check on the RV's temp when the dog is inside and we're away for a number of hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 10.58.39 AM.png
Views:	85
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	180498  
Old 08-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Yes, I like the new thermostat more than I though I would. Getting up in the morning to a warm coach is a nice benefit, as is checking the temperature on the coach when we are away. I find myself using the iPhone app most of the time for adjusting the temp.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Update on WiFi issue, I emailed them Sunday and they responded back a few hours later.
It ended up being, i was connecting directly to my VZW MiFi and when i connected to our router instead, the connection has been up and stable since then, so it really makes me like it a whole lot more.
It also has alerts to tell you when too hot or too cold to protect the dog.

Next project is Power cord reel.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid1 View Post
Update on WiFi issue, I emailed them Sunday and they responded back a few hours later.
It ended up being, i was connecting directly to my VZW MiFi and when i connected to our router instead, the connection has been up and stable since then, so it really makes me like it a whole lot more.
It also has alerts to tell you when too hot or too cold to protect the dog.

Next project is Power cord reel.
I like this thread. I was wondering when someone was going to come up with a replacement RV thermostat. Will talk with DW about this when she gets up.
About the power cord reel. I had one on my Vectra. HATED IT! Took up too much room and I found no advantage to it. Can coil the cord in the bottom of the bay with less fuss and aggravation.
Are you planning to install one or remove it?
I do miss the hose reel but am living without it with little problems or regrets.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I went to the Micro-Air site and ran through the which model do I need wizard for basement air.

COMING SOON!

Thank you for your interest in our EasyTouch RV thermostat, although your model will be available for replacement, we are still in the development stages.

We would recommend that you keep an on our company Facebook page as we will be publishing updates for models that are not yet available there.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have been waiting for Micro-Air to come out with a replacement thermostat for my Airxcel RVComfort thermostat that has such a small display and they finally did so I ordered and replaced this weekend.

Install was easy, remove two screws from original, unplug connector. Install 2 new screws with a plastic spacer, plug in new thermostat and slide onto screws and you are live. The new thermostat has both Blue Tooth and Wifi built into it so you can control remotely and has larger screen with icons so you can tell what your settings are much easier and adjust them.

I had read wifi was not the greatest and can confirm it is not, and will reach out to company to see how to improve. It connects, but then says cant get to internet in a couple of hours but is still connected to mifi.

For my Journey which had a 8430A331 model thermostat, the RV354 was the model I got
I just got the RV354 for my coach. For some strange reason it will not work correctly. My original is the 8430...

I just got off the phone with Roger at Micro-Air. I am sending the t-stat back to him. At this writing it stopped working all together. The zones are not being recognized.
Initially I was able to set things up ok. But then I started experiencing short cycling. Then I noticed that the middle A/C only came on when zone 2 was on. I have 2 zones and both front A/C units are on zone 1.
Roger is ordering a A/C controller like I have in my units. He wants to see what is unique in them.
Do you have 3 zones? The 2011 was the first year for roof A/C for Class A Winnebago units as far as I know. I may have a rare bread of controller a in my coach as compared to later years.
I'll post what I find out. I do wish it worked. Too bad.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Ours is a 3 zone unit, with zone 1 in the rear, zone 2 in the middle and zone 3 in the front
Old 08-28-2021, 05:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Ours is a 3 zone unit, with zone 1 in the rear, zone 2 in the middle and zone 3 in the front
Thanks for the update. If I would have been paying attention I would have realized that. The 40U has only 2 zones. Same 3 A/C units as you have. Real pain in the ears. I have to shut the breaker off for the front unit when we watch TV. Way too loud. I wonder if the RV industry will ever address the noise level of the roof A/C units and produce a unit that is reliable and quite?
Old 08-28-2021, 08:11 AM   #11
Site Team

I installed mine yesterday. It’s working great now, but I had all kinds of trouble setting it up.

You use the app to do the setup and one of the first and important things is to name your thermostat. I named mine “Adventurer 37F” because that’s my Rv model.

Well, I had all kinds of issues. When I entered the name I got an error message that made no sense but everything seemed to work anyway. I couldn’t get the WiFi to work nor the firmware update. Then it suddenly lost its name. So I did it all over again and had the exact same error messages and problem. Then it lost its name again.

I’m not sure why I thought of it but the third time I set the name to “Adventurer” without the 37F and this time got no errors and even got confirmation of the name. WiFi worked and so did the update process.

I have no idea what was wrong with the 37F in the name but dropping that made all the difference. If the error message had been clear about not liking something in my name choice it would have been a lot easier to figure out.

By the way, fellow member Macnut told me that he had some issues with his two heat pump and furnace system on the EasyTouch_RV. He spoke to a tech support guy that told him that Winnebago did some unusual wiring of their systems and that he needed to change the setup from Normal to Option 2 (or B).

There is a full manual for each EasyTouch_RV model online and this explains the settings and what they apply to.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

RV354 2 zone update

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I installed mine yesterday. It’s working great now, but I had all kinds of trouble setting it up.

You use the app to do the setup and one of the first and important things is to name your thermostat. I named mine “Adventurer 37F” because that’s my Rv model.

Well, I had all kinds of issues. When I entered the name I got an error message that made no sense but everything seemed to work anyway. I couldn’t get the WiFi to work nor the firmware update. Then it suddenly lost its name. So I did it all over again and had the exact same error messages and problem. Then it lost its name again.

I’m not sure why I thought of it but the third time I set the name to “Adventurer” without the 37F and this time got no errors and even got confirmation of the name. WiFi worked and so did the update process.

I have no idea what was wrong with the 37F in the name but dropping that made all the difference. If the error message had been clear about not liking something in my name choice it would have been a lot easier to figure out.

By the way, fellow member Macnut told me that he had some issues with his two heat pump and furnace system on the EasyTouch_RV. He spoke to a tech support guy that told him that Winnebago did some unusual wiring of their systems and that he needed to change the setup from Normal to Option 2 (or B).

There is a full manual for each EasyTouch_RV model online and this explains the settings and what they apply to.
I have 2 zones and 3 rooftop heat pumps. When I first set my thermostat up all kinds of things went wrong. Short cycling, middle unit only coming on when zone 2 was operating and other strange things. This was with option 2 selected for both zones. I removed and reinstalled it 3 times. By the last time I was talking with a Micro-Air tech. (Great guy to work with.) I gave him my phone # because support is through a form on their site and email responces. Emails were not piratical at that point. He wanted me to return the t-stat.
I had it boxed and ready to go. I felt I needed to try in with the "Normal" setting so I unpacked it and put it back in service. When I set it to "Normal" the zones began to work for A/C correctly. But when I tested the heat functions nothing would work. Roger suggested that I now try option 2 in each zone. When I did that and set the "Cool, Gas, Electric heat" icons active everything started to work as described.
You must think things through with the setup of this instrument. The directions are written to make it look simple and straight forward. Not so in practice.

Because I have only a hotspot most of the time I don't know how to connect the RV354 to the internet.
Being in TX at the moment, doing a real heat test is not going to happen. God is providing more of that than I need at the moment! I'll see what happens in the fall when we get back to AL. (If it weren't for a family emergency we would not be here now. Just want you to know we are not crazy or in need of self inflicted pain! Takes a special kind of person to call this home.)
Old 08-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Because I have only a hotspot most of the time I don't know how to connect the RV354 to the internet.
Do you mean you use a phone as your hotspot for internet? Or do you have a MiFi/Jetpack/Broadband device?

We use a mobile router in our RV and that means, just like at home, we have only one internet login to set up for all devices.

We have two MiFi devices (one ATT and one Verizon) and both of these connect to the router. So, the two TV Streamers, the laptop, both tablets, both cell phones and now the thermostat all connect to that network inside the RV via the router. The router gets it's internet from either the campground or the ATT MiFi or the Verizon Jetpack
Old 08-30-2021, 04:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Do you mean you use a phone as your hotspot for internet? Or do you have a MiFi/Jetpack/Broadband device?

We use a mobile router in our RV and that means, just like at home, we have only one internet login to set up for all devices.

We have two MiFi devices (one ATT and one Verizon) and both of these connect to the router. So, the two TV Streamers, the laptop, both tablets, both cell phones and now the thermostat all connect to that network inside the RV via the router. The router gets it's internet from either the campground or the ATT MiFi or the Verizon Jetpack
We use my phone as the hotspot. Verizon has more coverage in remote areas than ATT in my experiences over the years. I have watched the signal fields grow and the advertising boasts. Verizon has the better coverage. I now have Spectrum which uses Verizon but for a better price and package arrangement. Now to connect it to a router? That is the question. For us, one hotspot through the phone makes more economic sense. But, you have brought up a good point. I wonder if I could connect my phone hotspot to a router capable of tethering?
So far, after getting the initial setup woes out of the way, the RV354 is working well and being controlled via the Bluetooth. I set a schedule up in the setup. Still seeing how that is going to work out. I did a 3*, half hour spread for 3 cycles. I am thinking ahead to heating season to avoid the gas furnace starting with the heatpump.

When I got up this morning I was down right cold, I placed my weather monitor with inside temp near the t-stat. T-stat was reading 3* high. Used the ambient temp calibration on the t-stat to correct this. Let's see how this works.
I just saw a potential problem from the coach to the t-stat. I have been living with ghost noise to the t-stat for a very long time. I think it started with the install of LED's. I just had a short cycle. I have the door to the controls open. I glanced over and saw "88" (I think) clear from the screen and go back to the real setpoint temp. I need to watch for this more closely. One LED being noisy is all it takes. I've had this problem in the past. Sometimes it's a reset of the bulb, other times it requires a new bulb.
Two improvements I'd like to see on the t-stat are the zone number placement and size increased a bit and the ambient temp size increased. Old eyes complaining.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:12 AM   #15
Site Team

Well, you can tether your phone as a hot spot to any WiFi Ranger mobile router or any router that features “WiFi As WAN” functionality.

With this feature you make any WiFi signal your router’s WAN connection. But WiFi Ranger’s routers also can tether via a USB connection if you don’t mind your phone being out of reach as a phone.

The cheapest of these routers is about $130, the WiFi Ranger “Spruce”. Though an older model the GoAC is available used for $50 or less.

With one of these you can connect to the campground WiFi, your phone’s WiFi, any Open WiFi signal and share it with all of your devices on the RV with your own private network.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:25 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Well, you can tether your phone as a hot spot to any WiFi Ranger mobile router or any router that features “WiFi As WAN” functionality.

With this feature you make any WiFi signal your router’s WAN connection. But WiFi Ranger’s routers also can tether via a USB connection if you don’t mind your phone being out of reach as a phone.

The cheapest of these routers is about $130, the WiFi Ranger “Spruce”. Though an older model the GoAC is available used for $50 or less.

With one of these you can connect to the campground WiFi, your phone’s WiFi, any Open WiFi signal and share it with all of your devices on the RV with your own private network.
I found the problem. I had a space at the end of my SSID that I was not putting into the RV354. Once I did that I connected. I was satisfied with the results so I went ahead and installed the update. This was yesterday.

When I went through the screens after the update I noticed a blank place where some control icon was missing. I am not familiar enough with all the icons so I didn't realize the source icon, the switch icon, was missing. Only when the A/C started to short cycle did I take a serious look at the settings and discover this major issue. I installed the old t-stat again and sent a email off to Roger.
I like discovering problems like this when I am working with someone in support who is willing to stay with me. I hope the problems I am having are the bugs that they need to find to help improve this product.
Before I did the update I was very impressed with the features and functioning of the thermostat. It is a far cry better than the RVComfort.zc. I know it will be back in place by the end of the day. I have faith in the tech support I am getting.
Rick
Old 08-31-2021, 11:40 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

More experiance helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I found the problem. I had a space at the end of my SSID that I was not putting into the RV354. Once I did that I connected. I was satisfied with the results so I went ahead and installed the update. This was yesterday.

When I went through the screens after the update I noticed a blank place where some control icon was missing. I am not familiar enough with all the icons so I didn't realize the source icon, the switch icon, was missing. Only when the A/C started to short cycle did I take a serious look at the settings and discover this major issue. I installed the old t-stat again and sent a email off to Roger.
I like discovering problems like this when I am working with someone in support who is willing to stay with me. I hope the problems I am having are the bugs that they need to find to help improve this product.
Before I did the update I was very impressed with the features and functioning of the thermostat. It is a far cry better than the RVComfort.zc. I know it will be back in place by the end of the day. I have faith in the tech support I am getting.
Rick
My error here. The update added a page. But my problems still existed. After many emails and a phone call I finally got the t-stat to work. Roger sent me an update putting me back to the original version. Now I am testing.
I think I just had one burp. I was certain I had set the fan speed to high (2 green bars). The center unit sounded like it quit working for a bit. When I checked the t-stat, the fan was on Auto.(?) Old and forgetful me or T-stat with a mind of its own??? We'll see in time.
About the initial setup. If you are just getting one of these things you need to be ready for surprises when you first install it. For instance... Today when I put it back in service the zones didn't connect. After several resets and restarts Roger suggested I unplug it and plug it in again. Oh my! The zones started to communicate with the t-stat.

This is a new product and we, the early buyers, are the taste testers so to speak. We are finding the bugs in the soup.

About the WiFi. You must connect with the Bluetooth first. As for the WiFi settings after that, be certain to use the name of your network or hotspot for the SSID value EXACTLY as it is. A hidden space kept me from connecting. This goes for the password. You are not creating a network. You are joining one.
For the RV354 in a 2 zone, 3 heatpump system, the company seems to be working out the kinks. I have 2 gas furnaces in the mix and I had to set the options to cool, gas heat and electric heat.

The Normal / Option 2 settings have something to do with the way the t-stat sees the function on each wire in the coach harness. In option 2 it works with only 2 heat zones. The t-stat is programed like the original and sends out a signal to light the gas furnace at the appropriate time. This is all a guess on my part but seems to make sense.
The app needs a bit of spit and polish in my opinion. The t-stat has a weather icon. I have seen sun and clouds so far. But this is not present on the phone app. Only the outside and inside temps appear. When you are in the RV you can look out the window. But if away and WiFi connected it would be helpful in some cases to know the weather at the rig through the app. Redundancy, I know. But why not?
Old 09-05-2021, 05:37 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

EasyTouch RV 354 Update

I have not been a happy camper with this thermostat. I see so many good features with this t-stat but It was so unstable. Multiple restarts was the biggest problem. WiFi understanding another.
I removed the RV 354 several times over a couple of days time. I also did multiple restarts and resets. Problems continued. I even put the old filter in the circuit that Colman once recommended for line noise. The results was less than joy bringing.
One day I was pulling the t-stat off and the fan was on. When I moved the t-stat I noticed the fan would start and stop. I twisted the t-stat a little and I could make the fan come on and go off. I checked the fuse in the unit and it didn't look like it was fully in the fuse holder. When I tried to pop it back in place, it didn't 'pop'. I pulled the fuse out and closed the contacts on the holder a bit. Now the fuse popped into place and was tight in the holder.
No more fan problems when I put a little torque on the t-stat.
Since that find many of the problems I was having have gone away.

This was a manufacturing problem. 'Noise' was being generated by the soft connection of the fuse I think.
Found some interesting feature quarks now that things are running smoothly.
Scheduling: When "ENABLED" all zones are enabled weather programed or not.
WiFi: If the connection is lost then reestablished the t-stat resets and interrupts the cycle. For us folks not on a fixed WiFi this can be a pain once the SSID and PW are set in the unit. When you turn on your hotspot the t-stat resets the system. But this, too, is intermittent. It may or may not reconnect.

Settings icon: If the fan is in manual low speed for instance and you want to 'look' at the settings with no changes, the fan will be set to Auto. This will happen no mater what zone you look at setting in. I passed this off the Roger, the engineer, and he will look into it Tuesday.

I hope others with this new idea for a RV thermostat are pleased with the results. I know the bugs will go away in time and I will enjoy the full benefits of this device.

So far the Bluetooth control feature is a real cool feature. The TX heat is a real challenge. Often I need to turn zones on or off. Not having 3 zones, the circuit breaker is my saving grace for the front A/C if we are trying to have an intelligent conversation of hear the TV. I envy you folks with 3 zones.
Rick
Old 09-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #19
Site Team

Sorry you’re having problems. Ours has been great and adjusting it without getting up in the AM is a real luxury.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:17 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

RATS! Mine is a single zone 2 compressor system, and their model 356 is "In development". I'm always forgetting to set it back when I go to bed so the BT would be a handy feature since I always take the phone into the bedroom at night.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat