Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-26-2024, 10:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Front A/C not blowing Cold Air 2022 Adventurer 36Z

Hi Friends:
Am hopeful for some advice and problem solving on an issue that occurred yesterday.
Basically the front AC unit is not blowing cold air - just recirculating the air at the current coach temperature.
Thermostat and fan are working, compressor is kicking in, and the heat strip is working as well.
There is a RV tech right across the aisle from me.
He is pretty green, but he ran electrical tests on the connections, capacitors, and amp draw on the compressor. Everything apparently checked out OK including the fact that the coils were getting too hot to touch on the one side and freezing cold on the other.
The baffle that separates the incoming and return air is also in place and we have not had any voltage issues at the campground.
I called my home RV guy and he basically said it is impossible for what I have described to be happening and thinks the guy here in the campground may have missed something or that the freon is low enough that it won't cool the coach, but not low enough that the compressor won't run.
Ambient is in the low 70's so no issue there and the rear AC is returning air in the mid 50's. Coils have not frozen.
Anyone have any thoughts about what could be our issue?
Appreciate all of you!
PS It is a Coleman Mach unit
Old 02-27-2024, 05:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Test the air temp differential. It sounds like a low freon situation.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:32 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Test the air temp differential. It sounds like a low freon situation.
Problem is… these A/C units are not designed to be repaired, not even to add refrigerant or fix a leak.

They are designed to be removed and replaced in their entirety.

We’ve all read of one person here or there that managed to get an A/C repairman to find and fix a leak and braze on a fill port. But finding that person is the proverbial needle in the haystack.

Your Coleman-Mach has a 2-yr warranty. So there’s that if it applies.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys. I saw one of your previous posts Creative where you are on your fourth front AC.
I learned a lot yesterday talking to Coleman Mach and my dealer. We bought the coach 3/14/22 so just sneaking in before warranty runs out.
The diagnosis is loss of refrigerant due to a leak. Apparently there does not need to be some type of residue left from the leak and there is still gas in the coils that will allow them to cool/heat.
The compressor will run, but at reduced amps due to not having the load of the refrigerant. For example, my good AC is pulling 11 amps and my bad one six. I believe 1.5 of these is the fan running.
The mistake my tech made was in reading the compressor amperage. It was only 4.5 vs. over 8. I also learned that amp draw will increase with ambient temp.
So, if you have this issue, you can check your amp draw on the control panel.
Now pray that we'll get the new unit before we leave Blueater RV Resort, the weather cooperates, and our guy installs it correctly. It's his first one.
Grace of God and kindness of strangers once again. Only 72 here before the cold snap and we could have been inland a bit for the record heat you're experiencing Creative.
God bless and safe travels...will post again after the repair.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Pretty special backyard here...and beach right across the street...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240223_180419.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	188407   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240224_065211.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	188408  

Old 02-27-2024, 09:28 AM   #6
Site Team

Scott, it took 4-weeks to get a warranty replacement. Also, it requires that the authorized service shop file a form with lots of details. Not sure you want a newbie doing this.

Just an FYI, I'm only on my 3rd bedroom A/C and I was lucky enough to have an Coleman-Mach Authorized shop that did all the paperwork, etc.

Plus, something no one has any right to expect, they had a used A/C in house and they pulled my broken A/C, installed the used unit and filed the warranty claim before I left for a month long trip. When I returned they swapped the used unit for the warranty replacement unit. Bingo. Done. My cost was $200 for the double install/removal.

Hot here, as you said. 88 here yesterday and possibly 90 today. But then 55 on Wed before heading right back up to the mid-70s. That's "winter" in Texas for you.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Oh, I worry about everything for sure. We did the paperwork together and the unit is supposed to arrive today or tomorrow. We shall see.
Don't like being his first install, but someone has to be and this is the opportunity we've been given to perhaps return some of the blessings we've received...will let you know how it goes.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

AC is here...friggin' amazing. We're going to tackle it at 8 AM tomorrow after Benny and my walk on the beach. Not many better ways to start the day than walk on the beach watching the sun come up with your pup. Please pray for us and Roger our RV tech...
Old 02-28-2024, 12:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

AC in, drawing 11 amps, and pumping out air in the low 40's...
My takeaway for anyone experiencing similar issue, see how many amps the unit is drawing on the control panel. Low amps likely means no refrigerant and the need for a replacement unit.
Unbelievably blessed to get it sorted in two days and nothing out of pocket...
Safe travels!
Old 02-28-2024, 01:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Congratulations ScottyB! Regarding the newbie RV tech, no doubt he graduated from an RV tech school, so he did have some knowledge of installing a roof air unit. You contributed to his working experience education, good for you.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 08:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thank for helping a new tech! We need all we can get!
Memory Maker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, adventurer