Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
CUP
Winnebago Camper

Cold air return

Where can I find the cold air return to the furnace in my 1999 Itasca Suncruiser 35C? Thank you in advance.
CUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
Site Team

It will be wherever the heater lives in your RV. Mine is in the rear bathroom under the sink cabinet. Lots of older RVs put the heater under the RV fridge and you’d see a metal grate under the fridge.

So, where is your heater located? Find that and you’ll find the cold air duct. If you don’t know where your heater is located look on the outside of the RV for the two round heater vents. The heater will be more or less directly behind those vents but inside your RV.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

You'll find a return air wall grille somewhere in your RV, and some other return air intakes. Their are air spaces under the shower, vanity. There are some openings cut thru the floor into those air spaces into the basement. The furnace just has some vents on it to draw in air that will tied to those dead spaces. So there is no hard vent for cold air return like what you find in a residential system.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
CUP
Winnebago Camper

There is a long grill under the wardrobe in the area close to where the furnace should be. I guess I was looking for an actual vent. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:47 AM   #5
CUP
Winnebago Camper

Thank you.
Old 09-25-2021, 12:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Cold air return in voyage xlrt

I have the same question - I have checked on locations in previous replies but no luck yet on this model. Any other suggestions?
JimB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB1 View Post
I have the same question - I have checked on locations in previous replies but no luck yet on this model. Any other suggestions?
The problem with getting the correct info has been that you do not make it easy as the drawings start with what year, then what make like Adventurer and it has to be traced down to what model. Sometimes even the build date changes the answer as they change things in mid year.

That leaves our best shot being to give you a link to the drawings as there are way too many to begin to sort the question without knowing what year to start on?

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hopefully the grill you found is the return. You can test it by running your furnace and hold a strip of paper up to it and see if there's suction.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
The problem with getting the correct info has been that you do not make it easy as the drawings start with what year, then what make like Adventurer and it has to be traced down to what model. Sometimes even the build date changes the answer as they change things in mid year.

That leaves our best shot being to give you a link to the drawings as there are way too many to begin to sort the question without knowing what year to start on?

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
Thanks Morich but those bases were covered. Winnebago service was provided with make, model, serial number and vin number.
After doing some crawling around in the "basement" with the flashlight we find that the blower intake is open on the left side of the furnace covered by a slotted grill. I am not thrilled with the design and contemplating the attachment of a fixture on the blower housing and routing a flex hose to a grill at the back of the pantry. I need a very small service person to make the connections as my 5'8" - 200 lb. carcass wont fit through the maze of pipes, wiring and framing.
JimB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB1 View Post
I am not thrilled with the design and contemplating the attachment of a fixture on the blower housing and routing a flex hose to a grill at the back of the pantry. I need a very small service person to make the connections as my 5'8" - 200 lb. carcass wont fit through the maze of pipes, wiring and framing.
I would suggest you not do that. Your furnace is designed with specific airflow requirements- both in and out.
What you are contemplating has the potential to restrict the intake air, which can cause the unit to overheat and fail. What is it about the existing design (that is typical of all RVs) that you don't like?
Old 01-10-2022, 07:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
I would suggest you not do that. Your furnace is designed with specific airflow requirements- both in and out.
What you are contemplating has the potential to restrict the intake air, which can cause the unit to overheat and fail. What is it about the existing design (that is typical of all RVs) that you don't like?
This may be one of those cases where the best we do to try to help is not going to work!
Note that this post is from 3 months ago.
They seem to have dropped in, asked a question but gave no info of what year they were speaking of so help was really limited and never came back with better.
It is true that best answers only come from asking the best questions and giving the best info !
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote