Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2024, 09:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

A/C factory wiring Minnie Winnie 31K

I replaced my roof and accidently unplugged the A/C control box wires. I'm looking for information to connect the correct wires back.
i have a Model 31K

this system isn't letting me post a picture
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi and welcome!

If we knew the model year of your Minnie Winnie 31K we could point you to the wiring diagrams for your RV.

As to posting phots here is a description of the process:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3773760
Old 04-30-2024, 10:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

For info on the wires at the air unit, it will likely be more direct to find the brand and model number of the unit and search online for the wiring info.
RV are something like homes in that the RV is built and parts like AC, frig and stove added. So to get info on AC wiring at the ac unit, we need to go to they folks who build that item.
But then I may be missing what box you mean by "control box"?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My Winnie was built in 2014.
the wires are Winnebago wires not supplied by the A/C manufacturer.
i looked at the list, and at the pictures of wiring diagrams and do not see the control wires to the A/C unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2745.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	188856  
Old 04-30-2024, 10:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

This is the control box. that the ac unit plugs into.. It's probably. supplied by the AC manufacturer, However, besides the freeze plug wires all the other wires go through. the roof. and down to some location inside the Winnebago..
These wires all have some type of. specific nomenclature on them. There should be some reference material to tell me what. each of the nomenclature is mean and what they should be connected to.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Okay. I think I see what you mean.
For info on what wire is connected to what at the other end, we need to look at the info for the air conditioner at that end and the thermostat at the other end.
How each is connected, depends on who made the parts at each end, as builders do not have a "standard " in many of these cases.
This is an example of a Dometic thermostat wired to work a Dometic AC unit but that will depend on what and who made what you have, so may/may not apply.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-658160.html
Since there are many different AC and thermostat builders, and they have not fully agreed on a standard they each build different things into their item, so we can't point to any one specific drawing which might fit your specific setup.
The only way I know to sort the problem is to start with finding wiring for the AC unit and the thermostat to try to meld them together.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the information. I will identify the thermostat and the AC unit shortly. However, I’m still baffled because the wires I’m talking about our specifically installed by Winnebago with Winnebago wiring part numbers on them. This should be a standard. I can’t believe that these wires would change depending on the AC unit on top.
I was told by the service center that all Winnebago wires have a wiring code on each one of them and a wiring diagram would tell you where each one of those wires should connect to. I cannot locate that wiring diagram for the wires going to the rooftop AC unit.
My next step is just to pull all the AC wires out run a meter between each wire tip identify which wire is which wire and just wire them up.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Here's a link to the 2014 Minnie Winnie 31K wiring diragrams.

https://winnebago.com/Files/Files/Wi..._331k_wire.htm

I would expect the wires to go to the thermostat.

Here is that page showing the thermostat and a detail drawing "FA" of the thermostat wiring. But I'm not sure this answers any of your questions. Sorry, it's the best I could do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 2.14.36 PM.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	188857  
Old 04-30-2024, 02:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

If they are Winnebago wiring and have the Id stamped on them, this chart will help to sort the ID:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ical_guide.pdf

Name:	wire ID.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	188858

The reason for different wiring to the roof unit is the different variety of units. Some with heat, some not, some RV have two speed fans, some not. Just a wide variety of options on many different RV.
And as part of the problem, we no longer get the wiring schematics as once were posted online. That was dropped with the 2010 year. We get some pretty vague installation drawings for the 12 Volt but not much on wire by wire info.

As the wiring becomes more complex and much more solid state where the info is closely guarded by the folks who build the chips, DIY repair is getting much harder as most do not have the training nor equipment to fully work a solid state design.

I had not worked one that had the separate control box, but spotted it in drawings but nothing much about where the wires go.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thank you very much. I do appreciate everybody’s attempt. This is obviously one of those weird ones that fall through the cracks. I was attempting to make it easier on myself by identifying the specific wires by their special code number and plug them in into the box. However, I’m going to have to identify each one individually. And then identify to wear they plug Into.

Tags
wiring