Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-06-2024, 05:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tire balancing options for Adventurer 36Z

I am replacing the factory tires (Michelin 235/80R 22.5) on my Adventurer 36Z. I am going with Toyo 154 245/75R 22.5. My question is, spin balance or bead balance? The tire shop suggests spin balancing, but the information I have found so far suggests bead balancing. Reasoning is the beads continue to rebalance through the life of the tire. Does anyone have any input either way?
Thanks in advance
Jerry
09 Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 10:00 PM   #2
Site Team

I made the same change from the same size Michelins to the same size Toyos as you and I went with spin balancing. I’m sure bead balancing is fine but I’m my 60 or so years of driving and buying/changing tires I’ve never used anything but lead weights and spin balancing.

I have zero idea if balancing beads are “better.”

PS. The Toyos are great but they have a strong odor. I’ve seen folks say it goes away but mine are 18+ months old and still smell after a drive.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Old fart myself, wish I had tried balancing beads though the tire shop didn't offer the option when buying full set of tires last month..

Over the decades I've used bubble balance, dynamic computer spin, and on vehicle high speed spin balance for steering axle truck tires.. All of which utilized added lead weights..

Beads intrigue me as balance will adjust itself as tires wear.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have also always used lead weights and spin balancing. The bead idea sounds good if indeed it constantly adjusts to keep the tires balanced.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

That is my primary purpose for wanting to try them. I don’t want to have go through rebalancing with these tires over time.
Old 03-07-2024, 02:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Balancing beads settle to the bottom when you stop, then when the tires begin rolling again it takes a while for the beads to "re-balance" the tire, which might cause a vibration until the process is once again completed.
Balance beads require a special valve stem with a screen inside to prevent the valve core from becoming clogged and developing a slow leak.
OTOH, weight balancing cannot compensate for tire wear, a complete re-balance is required. I've had a balancing weight come off while driving and cause consternation about a tire failure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:19 PM   #7
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 Ultra View Post
I am replacing the factory tires (Michelin 235/80R 22.5) on my Adventurer 36Z. I am going with Toyo 154 245/75R 22.5. My question is, spin balance or bead balance? The tire shop suggests spin balancing, but the information I have found so far suggests bead balancing. Reasoning is the beads continue to rebalance through the life of the tire. Does anyone have any input either way?
Thanks in advance
Jerry
I was going to try bead balancing on my 2022 Vista but when I went to a very reputable heavy duty truck tire shop, they talked me out of it. They have some excellent high end spin balance machines and after balancing my tires it was a big difference from what the RV dealer did. ( Or didn’t do).
This is just my opinion but I’ve had good luck on my motorhomes when I use quality shops to spin balance my tires , so I’m going to continue doing it that way.
Again, just me opinion.
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:43 PM   #8
1996 Itasca 29Q

Wheel Balancing

A third option for balancing is the Centramatic system, it doesn't cause problems at the tire shop and if you change RVs you can use them on the next one! That said, beads are less expensive than spin balancing.
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Balance choices are like Motor Oils Opinions are all over the board. Good information to work through from a Member of the Forum and retired Tire engineer. https://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/label/Balancing Tire balance is only part of achieving a great smooth ride.
kamphiker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:54 PM   #10
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobn1957 View Post
A third option for balancing is the Centramatic system, it doesn't cause problems at the tire shop and if you change RVs you can use them on the next one! That said, beads are less expensive than spin balancing.
I’ve seen the centramatic rings online and in ads but didn’t know anyone who has them. Do you have the tires balanced before having these installed? Or do the replace the balancing?
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM   #11
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACB View Post
I’ve seen the centramatic rings online and in ads but didn’t know anyone who has them. Do you have the tires balanced before having these installed? Or do the replace the balancing?
As I understand it, the disks are just installed behind/between the wheels!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACB View Post
Actually they fit against the hub then the wheel is mounted to the hub.
Centramatic balancers have kinda like balancing beads contained inside the steel ring of the unit..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:08 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I purchased a 2014 Winnie Vista 35F in January with the original Michelin tires. I ordered 6 Sumitomo ST719SE Commercial Tire 245/75R22.5 134/131L on amazon for $329 each and had them installed by a shop that just did truck tires. When the balancing question came up, they said that beads were far better than weights. In fact, they stop even putting weights on rims. So far, I have had no problems as the new tires ride and roll very nicely. Beads are the way to go.
Bubbleheaded is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, adventurer