Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fan wiring in rear '17 Minnie 31k

Hey guys I bought a 2017 Minnie 31k. It was a prior rental, but seemed to be in good shape. Being that it was a rental it was sparse in the options. I got such a good deal on it I could upgrade it as needed and still cost less than a factory optioned out one.

In any event. I want to add a maxair fan to the rear. Anyone know if it is pre-wired for a fan?

I already replaced the front vent with a power fan, and the wiring was already in place from the factory.

I pulled off the trim for the rear vent and I did not see any wiring. Maybe it’s there and I need to trim away the block foam.

Thoughts??
Clotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:50 AM   #2
Itasca Owners

There are full wiring diagrams for every coach on the Winnebago website. https://winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm

My guess is that the rear vent is wired as well as the front one, but the diagram should confirm that.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I tried looking at the diagrams but could not find the wiring. That said I’m not the best at reading those diagrams.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
Itasca Owners

On the diagram for my model, the labels are for bathroom vent and lounge vent. Both are shown on the same page as all of the overhead lights. For the 2017 K, there are two diagrams and they cover different ranges of serial numbers.

If there is a light near the vent, I would try removing that light and see if you can see any wires that look like they are leading in the direction of the vent.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My assumption is that, if wiring was present at that vent, it would tucked into a “pocket” in the foam insulation and visible. Thus, available for a future upgrade, i.e. a fan.

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

We bought a Minnie Winnie 27Q last fall (also a previous rental) and the first modification we made was to install two MaxAir fan vents. I was hoping the wiring for nearby ceiling lights ran through the vent cavities but alas, none were found. The selling dealer confirmed it (no wonder they wanted $300 each to do the installations). For the front vent I used a 5/16 diameter aluminum rod to punch a passage through the Styrofoam from the vent cavity to the ceiling light about two feet away to the left. I took plenty of time and care doing this so as to avoid damaging anything, especially not punching a hole through the roof. But the end result was a completely hidden power source for the fan. I attempted to do the same for the rear vent but the rod encountered an obstruction halfway to the ceiling light. Since this was in a back-to-front direction, I figured the obstruction was a roof support beam and there was no way to go through it. So, for this vent I used a piece of plastic surface-mount wire mold (about 1/2 inch in diameter) from Home Depot, cut it to length, and simply stuck it to the ceiling and into carefully cut notches in the edges of the light and fan fixtures. Very minimally obtrusive and not really noticed unless you're actually looking at it. That took much less time to do than the front one and hindsight being 20/20 I probably should have used the surface wire mold there too. Just completed a 4000 mile trip from Anchorage, Alaska to northern Indiana and everything performed flawlessly!
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Two Thumbs Up to akeagle

Excellent solution. Well done.

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
4gone

I have a 31G floorplan, so not exactly comparing Apples to Apples here, but I was able to use a stiff piece of metal, actually an old CB antenna to carefully poke my way through the foam until I got into an overhead cabinet I took a 2 inch hole saw and just drilled through the top of the ceiling material and was able to grab the wire and pull it down through so everything is hidden inside the cabinet. The corner of my cabinet there is a piece of paneling at an angle if you remove the two screws I was able to find wiring and a live 12 volt source that fed the lights over the bed so I was able to tap into that and everything is essentially concealed.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Very nice. I am going to look at this when I have more time. I am thinking the wiring cover is going to be the way to go. I think I will hit roof cross supports before I get into a cabinet.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Tags
fan, wiring