Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Latching Controller, Water Pump

I have a 2005 Itasca Meridian, 36 G. The water pump works great for days. Then all of the sudden nothing when I open the faucet. Several hours later it will begin to work again. Shop has advised replacing my Intellitec Controller. I know it should be near the pump but I am unable to find it there or at either of the two switches. Any help or suggestions very much appreciated.

Phil
Phil Sample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #2

Look for something that looks like this.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Images

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm not aware that a 2005 Meridian has such a Latching Controller. I don't see any sign of it in the Body, 12 Volt Wiring Diagram for your coach. I'm quite sure that I don't have one in my 2005 Vectra.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Phil Sample, your coach does not have a "Intellitec Controller" just a couple of two way switches. Does the led by the pump switch on the monitor panel come on with you flip the switch? Check from both switches.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

On our HR, the module is located near the 12v fuses for interior lights, etc.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Sample View Post
I have a 2005 Itasca Meridian, 36 G. The water pump works great for days. Then all of the sudden nothing when I open the faucet. Several hours later it will begin to work again. Shop has advised replacing my Intellitec Controller. I know it should be near the pump but I am unable to find it there or at either of the two switches. Any help or suggestions very much appreciated.

Phil
:welcome:

We can't miss this! Glad you are joining us. You're in a good place to get the correct answer.

Winnebago often take a different route than the other manufactures. Dealer techs often get brands confused and give wrong information. Always check the wiring diagrams for your coach and the parts catalog. These are found under RESOURCES on the Winnebago site. Use Internet Explorer for the best results.

Now to your problem. Are you turning the switches on and off? If so you could have a bad switch or loose wire. Note the rocker position of each rocker when it fails. If you are not switching on and off I suggest removing each switch and check the wires. I think you have a sw in the galley, bathroom and sanitation bay. Also check the connections at the pump. A poor ground could also be the cause.

Keep us posted.

Rick Y
Old 01-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

On my 06 Journey 36G there are only two water pump switches, one on the main control panel inside the coach and one in the rear service bay on the driver's side where the outside electric, water hookup and cable/antenna connections are located (switch is up next to the telephone/cable connection plate). The water pump is located in the front passenger storage bay. I would check there first for loose wire connections as something in the same area could have banged up against the wiring there loosening something. Let us know what you find out.

Also check the diverter (winterizing) valve in the passenger side storage bay where the pump is to make sure it is firmly set to draw from the tank and not partly in the diverter position. Also while there, check that the other check valve that is located next to the pump as well to make sure it is not partly open. Also check the normal versus city water check valve in the drivers side hookup bay while in there to make sure it is set to normal to draw from the tank. I would open and close each one of the valves just to make sure they are working as well.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Phil ...

You said "nothing" when you turn on the faucet.

When that happens, have you determined whether or not you pump is running?

We had a failure of the "tank fill" selector switch ... the pump ran but all of the output was going back into the fresh water tank (just cycling the water).
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Phil
Phil,
Just wondering, you say the "Water pump works great for days. Then, all of a sudden, NOTHING, when I open the faucet" Now, does that mean that, your water pump, is working normally, normal pressure and flow, and then, WITHOUT YOU TOUCHING ANY SWITCH, INSIDE THE COACH OR OUT, the water stops flowing, ALL ON IT'S OWN???? And, is it the same reaction from ANY faucet in the coach? Nothing???

If that's the case, I don't think it's an issue of the two water pump toggle switches in the wrong position, I think it's a possible ground maybe in or on, the pump wiring. Especially if you don't touch any switch between when it works and doesn't work.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Wow! I'm new to this site. Thanks so much for all the great responses! This is a 5.7 Shurflo pump. A little clarification. Pump works great most of the time. Never stops in the middle of an operation. Then a little later I open any valve and the pump does NOT run and of course no flow. Keep trying...nothing. Hours later, Without touching any switches and without moving the MH, I open any faucet presto, everything works. My switches, ground, and all the wire I can get to check out. I'm betting on the pressure switch in the pump. Going to try a new Remco 5.3 gym. Agreed no Monoplex control unit on this system. Will let you know how it works out THANKS again! Phil
Old 01-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Wow! I'm new to this site. Thanks so much for all the great responses! This is a 5.7 Shurflo pump. A little clarification. Pump works great most of the time. Never stops in the middle of an operation. Then a little later I open any valve and the pump does NOT run and of course no flow. Keep trying...nothing. Hours later, Without touching any switches and without moving the MH, I open any faucet presto, everything works. My switches, ground, and all the wire I can get to check out. I'm betting on the pressure switch in the pump. Going to try a new Remco 5.3 gym. Agreed no Monoplex control unit on this system. Will let you know how it works out THANKS again! Phil
Under those circumstances, the pressure switch on the pump could very well be the culprit. Try tapping the switch with a screwdriver handle next time it stops. On some pumps, if you remove the switch cover the switch terminals are exposed and you can short across them to make the pump run. At least them you'll know if its the problem or not.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Get your pump model # and see if you can get some troubleshooting info on it. You might need a rebuild kit. These pumps are reliable. I don't read of many troubles with them.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Put in a new Remco ARV pump today. Had problems getting the inlet and output connections to stop leaking. Half inch threaded fittings but using the old Shurflo fittings to the Remco intake and discharge? The pump noisy and is slow to shut down when I close a faucet and gets even noisier. Have tried different tensions on the mounting screws to no avail. Using flexible hose. Had this same setup for the old pump and no vibration or noise problem with it. Puts out good pressure and volume. Haven't been able to run it enough to see if this resolved my original intermittent operation. Will keep you informed. Going to try Remco fittings tomorrow and washers on the mounting screws. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Phil
Old 01-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #14

Phil,

The Aqua-Jet AKA Remco water pumps are some of the best.

I would only use the Remco fittings plus the water pump needs to be mounted onto rubber bushings to the wall or floor depending on how your old water pump was mounted.

The water connections need to be isolated to the hard PEX tubing with shock lines. See photos of my installation. I only have the output side with a flex shock water line versus others have done it to both the Input and Output sides of the pump with great success in reducing any pump noise. Maybe someday I will isolate the input side but it isn't high on my priority list.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Pump-01.JPG
Views:	851
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	82859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Pump-02.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	82860  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Pump-03.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	82861  
Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

My Shurflo was having a similar issue. It would overheat and internal overload would trip. As it was under warranty the rep at Quartzsite replaced it.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:27 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

B Young RV gave me some tapered rubber washers to use in the fittings and that fixed the leaks completely which if course took care of my pump cycling on and off as it should. I picked up some 3/8 rubber mat at Coastal Farm Supply to mount the pump on and put foam around some key parts of the hard pipe. Have isolated the intake and output fittings with flex hose. Not bad but still a little noisier than the old 5.7 Shurflow. Puts out great flow. Still anxious to see if it fixes my original problem of intermittent operation. Will let all of you know. Thanks again. Phil
Old 01-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

If you are using a Surflo 5.7, you are operating on borrowed time. The original version of that pump was great, but one of their vendors (I think that it was for the pressure sensor) went out of business and the following versions of the pump proved to be less than reliable. I replaced 4 under warranty. Their last replacement was a newer Revolution bypass model and it's still going strong after several years.

The Revolution pumps vary the output by returning (bypassing)the water that is not used instead of changing speeds. That results in a much simpler electronics portion of the pump. I am very happy with mine.

As someone else suggested, your pump is probably overheating. That may caused by water getting into the electronics, but maybe not. My last 5.7 got so hot that it melted a hose that was touching the body of the pump. Fortunately, it wasn't one of the towels that I store in the same compartment. The pump was on but not running when this happened.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the 5.7. I find that I sleep better when I'm not thinking about a fire in the middle of the night.

I'm sure that some will take exception to my feelings about the 5.7 (I sold one that was brand new to a fellow who really liked them), but that's my opinion, based on personal experience, and I see no reason to change it.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I'm not aware that a 2005 Meridian has such a Latching Controller. I don't see any sign of it in the Body, 12 Volt Wiring Diagram for your coach. I'm quite sure that I don't have one in my 2005 Vectra.
You're correct, there is nothing like that in the coach.

OP- Meter the DC into the pump and make sure its there. If so, rebuild or replace the pump. If it really is a 5.7, they are (were) plagued with problems with the internal flow control. Mine conveniently quit in Quartzsite, so it wasn't a problem at all.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Just got back from a five week trip through Oregon, California, and Nevada. My problem with the water pump working intermittently is resolved with the installation of the new Remco ARV pump...must have been the internal pressure sensor. Several have suggested that this new Remco should be quieter than the Shurflo. It is NOT. And I have tried most of the suggestions. It is tolerable. I will be continuing to look for ways to quiet the pump. Thanks again so much for the great suggestions.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #20

You have to isolate the pump from hard surfaces and fixed plumbing to reduce the noise when the pump is operating.

Use rubber mounts plus some people have used rubber pads when installing the pump to the floor or wall.

Use shock water hose connections to the input and output sides of the pump.

If you still have serious noise levels then I would talk to the Remco Company Tech Rep to see what they recommend.

I can hear my Aqua-Jet pump run but it is not objectionable.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
water, water pump