Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water pump question

I am in Florida so winterization is not an issue. I put my 2005 Itasca Horizon 36RD into the garage a couple of weeks ago and discovered that the fresh water tank had emptied completely and the black water tank had filled completely and a lot of water was in the grey water tank as well. I dumped both tanks before putting in the garage and had 2/3 tank of fresh water. I may have left the pump switch on during that time as I was in and out a fair amount. After dumping again and refilling the fresh water tank, the water pump runs, but only a trickle of water comes out and will not come up to pressure (runs continuously).
Two questions:
1. Why, even if I had left the pump switch on, would it have activated and pumped water into both my grey and black water tanks? I can understand the grey if I left a faucet open a trickle but the black water tank???

2. Do I need to prime, if so how, in order to get the pump to operate normally again?
I'm stumped and incredulous!!!!!!
[email protected]
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Regarding the current problem, you didn't happen to leave the water fill valve in the Fill position did you? That will cause the symptoms you described.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Just fyi, the bathroom sink drains to the black tank in the 36RD.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Kane View Post
I am in Florida so winterization is not an issue. I put my 2005 Itasca Horizon 36RD into the garage a couple of weeks ago and discovered that the fresh water tank had emptied completely and the black water tank had filled completely and a lot of water was in the grey water tank as well. I dumped both tanks before putting in the garage and had 2/3 tank of fresh water. I may have left the pump switch on during that time as I was in and out a fair amount. After dumping again and refilling the fresh water tank, the water pump runs, but only a trickle of water comes out and will not come up to pressure (runs continuously).
Two questions:
1. Why, even if I had left the pump switch on, would it have activated and pumped water into both my grey and black water tanks? I can understand the grey if I left a faucet open a trickle but the black water tank???

2. Do I need to prime, if so how, in order to get the pump to operate normally again?
I'm stumped and incredulous!!!!!!
B Kane
This will not answer your questions... but be aware that the bathroom sink in some coaches drains into the black tank, (NOT the gray).
I know mine does.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Water pump question

Nice to know about the bathroom sink draining to black water.(why would they do that???) I did not know that. Previous thread stated that cycling the pump may get it to work, Hasn't happened for me yet.
[email protected]
Old 03-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Are all the faucets turned off ?
Old 03-08-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Bruce,
As mentioned above make sure the water fill valve is turned off.
Second, I had the same problem while traveling as a soap dispenser fell into the sink and on the way hit the faucet which turned on. It emptied the fresh water and dumped into the black tank. I thought I had ruined the pump or at least needed to rebuild it. I called Surflow (sp) and then said to primp the pump. After filling the fresh water tank, I had to take my garden hose and blast water into the inlet side of the pump to get it to prime. The line between the pump and the freshwater tank was full of air and that is why it could not prime. That was a year ago and has worked fine ever since. If your pump ran for several days "dry" with no water, (until the batteries died) the little rubber feet inside the pump may be damaged. You can order new ones from ShurFlow. I hope this helps.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Totally embarrassed! I found the water switch on the refill tank position. When I moved it to street water position the pump started acting normally. Many thanks to all who helped me out. Lesson learned.
[email protected]
Old 03-09-2015, 05:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

But why did the black tank fill completely full and the gray partially? I can't imaging any direct connection between the water system and the tanks. Do you have a tank flush system? A leaking faucet and/or toilet?

Glad the pump is OK
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
But why did the black tank fill completely full and the gray partially? I can't imaging any direct connection between the water system and the tanks. Do you have a tank flush system? A leaking faucet and/or toilet?

Glad the pump is OK
Dunno. I dumped a bucket of water into the toilet and it did not leak out, so that means that my pump could not have pumped the water from fresh water tank to black through the toilet or otherwise it would have overflowed the bowl. Furthermore, the pump does not appear to activate unless I turn a faucet on. So maybe I had left the faucet in the bath open slightly???? But then that doesn't explain the grey water.
I do have a tank flush port (garden hose connection in the sewer bay.) but did not use it.
[email protected]
Old 03-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Did the bed look as if it had been slept in while it was in storage?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Kane View Post
Dunno. I dumped a bucket of water into the toilet and it did not leak out, so that means that my pump could not have pumped the water from fresh water tank to black through the toilet or otherwise it would have overflowed the bowl. Furthermore, the pump does not appear to activate unless I turn a faucet on. So maybe I had left the faucet in the bath open slightly???? But then that doesn't explain the grey water.
I do have a tank flush port (garden hose connection in the sewer bay.) but did not use it.
B Kane
My Sealand toilet has 2 drain holes to the black tank, (near the top of the bowl), to prevent water from overflowing the bowl.
But I suppose you would have noticed a nearly filled bowl?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump