Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-03-2006, 06:49 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Bob,

Sorry to read about your leak problem. The only time I had a leak in this area was when one of the lower fresh water tank fittings had a hair line crack. I think it was the fitting for the output to the coach and my dealer replaced it. I also had to deal with wet stuff in the storage compartment and know that's just not fun. Good luck finding the problem.

John

2002 Winnebago Brave 34D Ford V10
jafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:30 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:I installed the system on my 2004, have had a number of conversations with the system manufacturer, and thus have some familiarity with the system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clay,

Have you written up the conversion anywhere? I don't think I saw anything here...

Thanks,
Tim.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:54 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Vectra and had the same problem. Doing a little research I uncovered the following:
starchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:14 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Had a simmilar problem with my 05 vectra. The service door for water fill on the passenger side has a lock. When water fills this hose it pushes the seal open and allows water to flow through the loch opening down int the storemoe compartment. This happened twice to me before I started opening the water fill door and keeping the compartment door closed.
starchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:11 AM   #25
Administrator Emeritus

Might be related,but doubtful as the water was in the passenger side Storemore....

I'm thinking there is really a leak,as I was using tank water and running faucets and it still put water in the compartment.
Coach is at dealers as of Monday.....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:34 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I would bet money that starchy is right on the money if your fill up hole is on the curb (rigtht) side of the Vectra. I just went out and looked at my '05 Meridian and the fill hole, not the hookup is on the curb (right) side near the mid point between the front and rear axles.

The slot that holds the latch when the little door is closed is right above the storemore compartment.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:38 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Cut myself off.

I too have forgotten to open the curbside door when filling the tank from the service compartment. The compartment felt moist once but I thought maybe I didn't have the compartemnt door closed completely and rain had blown in.

I'm now about 99% sure it was water running thru the latch hole and into the compartment.

Take a look at yours.

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #28
Administrator Emeritus

OK folks.....time for a clarification.

PLEASE read this....

Water was leaking into the PASSENGER side Storemore,even when using only the tank water and all supply hoses were disconnected.
Pump properly cycles on and off when using faucets.
There is obviously a leak and when I get the coach back from dealer I will post their findings.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Bob, I'll just comment that my kitchen sink drain was not tightened properly with the large nut under the sink (cross-threaded by Winnie). I did not notice this leak for several days because I didn't really have any "clues" that there was a leak (the drip went right past things we stored below the sink, and my pump wasn't chirping on/off either).
There's been a couple of threads about "loose sink drain plumbing" in the pas.

Good luck. Please us keep us posted on what they discover.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:43 AM   #30
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Thomas....
Old 04-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Clay,
Have you written up the conversion anywhere? I don't think I saw anything here...
Thanks, Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I thought I had, but I did a search and didn't see anything.

Last September when I was at the factory getting a couple of warranty items fixed, I bought the new system from Winnebago.
The existing wiring and connectors from the tanks is used. There is a new PC board that replaces the existing one. All in all, a very easy installation.
The only trouble I had was finding the grey water tank - customer service steered me in the right direction, it's behind an access panel in the outside storage bay under the kitchen window - and then removing the access panel. The panel is sealed with a very aggressive black compound that makes it very hard to remove it. I ended up using a sharp knife to cut it as I pried the panel out.
That's the good news.
The bad news is, it doesn't work on the grey or black water tank. Shows full all the time.
Even though I did the installation myself, customer service tried to fix it. They checked the wiring (closeness to metal), replaced sensors and the PC board with no luck.

I decided to keep it and see if I could come up with something myself.
The people that build the system were very nice and willing to help although they could not offer a solution. They said they didn't see how enough crud could build up on the tank walls to fool the sensors.

I was able to get a pressure-washer wand with a right angle nozzle down into the black tank through the commode opening. After washing the walls down, the black water tank sensors worked for a few tanks and then started showing full again.
I have tried a number of products that are supposed to clean the tank walls with no success. I even flushed them, put in 10 gallons of water and 1/2 gallon of drain cleaner in each tank, and then drove it 350 miles before dumping them - no luck.
This fall when I get back to my sister- in -law's place (she has the pressure washer), I will try to clean the black water tank walls again and be more thorough with the washing. I will then start using an enzyme tank cleaner and see if that will keep the walls clean enough for the system to work.
I am willing to keep trying because I have talked to a number of people that have had the system for some time and have not had a problem with it.

Please note that we are full timers and use no chemicals in the tanks, so a lot of crud can build up in there.

My friend Bud installed one of the systems that uses foil strips on the side of the tank (capacitive type system). I don't remember the brand name but it displays in bar graph and percentage form. He has the same problem as I do. Fresh water works fine, but black and grey show full. He is also a no chemical using full timer.

I think the problem lies with the systems and not with installation. Bud and I are both well versed in electronics and all sorts of installations of electronic gear.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #32
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:
Please note that we are full timers and use no chemicals in the tanks, so a lot of crud can build up in there.....
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not??
Old 04-06-2006, 02:57 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Why not?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Never saw a good reason to. As far as I can see there are two reasons to use chemicals.

1) Keep the tank walls clean enough for the level sensing system to work.
2) Eliminate odor.

When I had the old level sensing system, using chemicals didn't keep the tank walls clean enough for them to work.

If the sewerage system is working properly there is no odor - it's a sealed system.

If chemicals will keep the walls clean enough for the new True Level system to work, then I will use them - at least in the black water tank - that's the only one I can figure out how to clean right now.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:34 AM   #34
Winnie-Wise

Don't feel bad. Our new HR (well, now 6 months old) has the external system as well (an option). The indicators have not been accurate since the first month. Kind of like a watch that doesn't work - very accurate twice a day. Well, these things are only accurate when the tanks are full - but trying to determine that is fun (ha). When the gray would no longer go down the shower drain - I knew it was full. When I empty both tanks the black might say 2/3rds but usually the gray will still say full - and occasionally 2/3rds. Haven't seen either indicator at 1/3rd since new.

Thank goodness they don't make fuel gauges like this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Clay,
Thanks, Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I thought I had, but I did a search and didn't see anything.

Last September when I was at the factory getting a couple of warranty items fixed, I bought the new system from Winnebago.
The existing wiring and connectors from the tanks is used. There is a new PC board that replaces the existing one. All in all, a very easy installation.

snip snip. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-06-2006, 04:55 AM   #35
Winnie-Wise

Keep in mind that with external sensor system the wires of the sensors must not be scrunched together or even in close proximity to one another. That can cause false readings.

My experience has been that good flushing (after emtying) that black tank is an absolute necessity for cleaning crud from the walls of the tank. Some film always is left on the sides and does cause false readings. They must be cleaned well!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:54 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Rebelsbeach:

I have an 05 Suncruiser purchased new this past January and just de-winterized for the first time yesterday. I had a water problem also, but don't think it is like yours. The Shur-Flo water pump had a large leak at the pressure sensor. The pump worked fine but when it turned off due to no open faucets, the water pump leaked in the storage compartment. Unbolted it and took it to the dealer who bench tested and agreed. Installed the new one and all is fine now. Lucky it was placed in an outside cabinet versus somewhere inside. Good luck with your problem and we are all anxious to hear the answer.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Bob,
Do we have an answer from the dealer yet as to where the leak is/was?
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #38
Administrator Emeritus

Jim,Mike and everyone else.....

Just home from the dealer,where I was with the technicians for a long time.
We ran every faucet,ran water through the city water fill connection AND the hose reel water fill connection, we ran the pump,even purposely overflowed the tank several times with the gravity door closed to build up pressure. We even stuck the garden hose in the gravity fill and filled it to the brim of the gravity fill....
<span class="ev_code_BLUE"> I did find out that the tanks I saw in the passenger side Storemore are the grey and blck tanks and the water tank is over on the driver's side...</span>

NO LEAKS ANYWHERE!!!

We could not make it leak...

Since I'm going to Forest City, Bryan Funke has already scheduled a service appointment for me, just in case there are issues that need to be addressed by the time I get there, so I brought the coach back home for now....It's not likely to happen again, but if it happens on the way to Forest City,that'd be just fine...

There's no one more perplexed than me, but when you can't duplicate something you just can't!!

<span class="ev_code_RED">ON EDIT:</span> Received a cell call this evening from Service Manager who had just put my slides in and moved coach for me to pick up in morning....When he got out of coach he heard water sloshing and opened the service compartment to find standing water....He went around to passenger Storemore and found standing water there as well...

When I talked to Big Trace tonight on phone,Tracey had asked if anything was "different" when I had the problem and today when dealer couldn't find problem....THE SLIDES WERE OUT TODAY!!!
I was going to call dealer in morning and suggest testing with slides IN, guess I don't have to call now...

Something is pinched with slides in....
Old 04-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Have you tried the product called "Happy Camper?" We use the product every time we dump and used their small can of powder to do a complete cleanout. It worked and the sensors are working all the time. However it did not work ub the grey tank because we could not get ice cubes down the drain and they are what helped clean the black tank. You can find Happy Camper on the internet. Try it. The company is in Arizona and will ship very reasonably. Good luck. Mary Lou

1998 Winnebago Chieftain
ChiefQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Doesn't it make you feel better when people realize you were not hallucinating

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote