Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Ok folks.....will probably end BACK UP at the dealer,but I'll run this by ya...

Went out today for the first time and put water in the tank.
Sensor NEVER read higher than 2/3 so I kept filling it.

Eventually there was a very small drip stream....very small, that was coming from way up high under the coach. I could feel the water hose and there was a good amount of water going somewhere,but where?

Oooops....when I went around to the passenger side to cut the hose off at the house,there was water coming from the aft Storemore...Basically everything in the Storemore is soaked and the floor and back wall of the compartment are saturated.

My book says there's an overflow "vent" tube....I'm guessing I found it,but why isn't it bigger?

I'm also guessing the "real" issue is the gauge not reading full as well.

Darn it!!!

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

Ok folks.....will probably end BACK UP at the dealer,but I'll run this by ya...

Went out today for the first time and put water in the tank.
Sensor NEVER read higher than 2/3 so I kept filling it.

Eventually there was a very small drip stream....very small, that was coming from way up high under the coach. I could feel the water hose and there was a good amount of water going somewhere,but where?

Oooops....when I went around to the passenger side to cut the hose off at the house,there was water coming from the aft Storemore...Basically everything in the Storemore is soaked and the floor and back wall of the compartment are saturated.

My book says there's an overflow "vent" tube....I'm guessing I found it,but why isn't it bigger?

I'm also guessing the "real" issue is the gauge not reading full as well.

Darn it!!!

Old 04-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Darn Bob what did you go and do that for. On my tanks the overflow tubes come off the top of tank and exit out the floor of compartment to the outside under coach. I have two split tanks each one has over flow tube. The gage has an adjustment screw to correct level of tanks. Could be they forgot to extend tube to the outside so wouldn't cause your problem. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:52 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

I'm not sure what the "deal" is Roger....

I could feel the water hose and water was going in so I watched the gauge...
Not sure of a screw to adjust the gauge...
Old 04-02-2006, 04:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Last summer when I was at the factory there were several Vectras with that problem. In addition, the water was running down on top of the outside entertainment radio and ruining it.
Looking at the set-up we thought that the vent tube could (and should be) be extended down through the compartment floor like the gassers.
This is unlike Winnebago's past engineering record and I am surprised it got by them.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Can you see the top of water tank over flow should come from top. You wouldn't have a valve to open would you You may have another way to adjust levels mine is simple.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

My drain has a rubber flapper sounds like its passing wind when water comes out.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

One other thing, the 2005 and later Winnebagos have three non-contact solid state sensors on the side of the tanks.
There is no adjustment for these (except for the LP sensor).
They act like switches in series and are simply on or off. As each one "closes" it increases the voltage being measured and that causes the LEDs to be lit. If the water actually reaches the 3/4 sensor, then it or one below it is not working.

I installed the system on my 2004, have had a number of conversations with the system manufacturer, and thus have some familiarity with the system.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Bob,

See my PM to you.

One other thing I have started doing is to use the pressure regulator on the fill hose.

On the subject of the guages - When my coach was new all LED's read empty. The first time I reached 2/3 on the black tank I dumped and rinsed well. The gauge then read 1/3 and the gray read empty. One day when I had nothing to do I took the panel off of the wall inside to see if I could find the legendary adjustment screws. I never did find the adjustment screws so I put the panel back on the wall. Ever since then the black will read empty when I empty the tank and the gray will read 1/3 when it is empty.

The fresh water tank will fill fairly quickly to the 2/3 mark but it takes forever to fill to full. Then one day when it was at 2/3 and the overflow was letting excess water out the guage went to full after I turned the water off.

I want a better system but I just do not know what it is yet.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:19 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Clay, now I'm scared to go out and look in the entertainment compartment,but I will....

Adrian, there has to be a better way to alert you to the overflow...

My book says the water comes out a "vent" at the top of the tank...

On both fifth wheels I had, there was an actual overflow "tube" than the overflow water came out...

For the life of me I can't remember this ever happening in the 2004 Journey either...

I'll address it with the dealer and send Bryan Funke a note...They're hoping to only "address" the paint issue when I get to Forest City,as I'm sure that'll be time consuming...
Old 04-02-2006, 09:58 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

The plot thickens....When I went out today to test the hot water heater, I turned the pump on and drew water to the hot faucets...There is a leak somewhere as the pump clearly cycles off when the faucets are closed, but there was standing water in the passenger side Storemore again...

NOTICE WATER ON TANK BOTTOM:

Old 04-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Are you filling it at the service bay panel or on the curb side fill point?

If hooked up and filling with the valve turned to the "fill" position, did you open the little servicing door on the curb side to relieve pressure?

My owner's manual tells me to open that little door to allow the air to escape when fillng from the service bay.

Do you think there might be a small crack in the tank or a hose loose? Either one is a bummer.

At least you found it at home while playing instead of on a trip.

Good luck at leak detecting!

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
Are you filling it at the service bay panel or on the curb side fill point?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Doesn't seem to matter as the leak presented itself again today when I was simply using tank water and not hooked up to a water source.</span>

If hooked up and filling with the valve turned to the "fill" position, did you open the little servicing door on the curb side to relieve pressure?
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Did that yesterday....seemed to help when filling though...</span>

Do you think there might be a small crack in the tank or a hose loose? Either one is a bummer. At least you found it at home while playing instead of on a trip.
<span class="ev_code_BLUE"> Either way this one's gonna be a stinker I think...</span>

Good luck at leak detecting!

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Much more of this and I'm gonna ask Snyders to put in full hookups a picnic table and a swimming pool!!</span>
Old 04-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

AJ wants to know if you winterized this past winter with anti ? Sounds like broken pipe some where , pressureize with air both water lines to see which one is bad. Drain all water first. IF all else fails I have some Koi for sale. AJ is visiting me he has great idea's. Smile BOB ITS ONLY WATER NOT OIL. AJ & "007"
Old 04-02-2006, 11:32 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

Roger, this is the first time I have used the water system since picking up the coach from dealer in January. I was told the coach was winterized at the factory....I filled the tank to test everything for my trip to Iowa....Good thing I didn't wait til the last minute.

Yes it's relatively clear to me there's a busted pipe somewhere...

Guess it's something I should have done on the PDI....Now it's just something they can fix and although I have confidence in my dealer's ability to fix it,I'd rather be camping.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:50 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

BOB, AJ wants to know if you need us to make a house call we come cheap, got room in drive for three rigs with full hookups? WE'LL be there 6pm Monday. HOT DOGS an beer sounds good maybe others will come we will bring plumbing tools and torches. We will fix for sure no dought. AJ & "007"
Old 04-03-2006, 05:01 AM   #17

Bob,
Sorry to hear about your water problem. When I fill ours, there is an over flow that happens "somewhere" under the coach...then I RUN and turn off the water. Since you are getting water in the store more, sounds like there must be a crack in a pipe that goes to the tank that you can see from the storage area. In ours you can see the water tank filling. Since it also leaks when you turn on the pump that is another clue that you probably have a crack in a pipe, or at the very least a loose connection and the water pressure is forcing the water out. Good luck. I hope it is an easy repair.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:30 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Bob,

I agree with the other posters - it sounds like a leak somewhere but where is the question. These pumps have a pressure switch on them that turns them on and off. If there is a leak down stream of the pump it will either not turn off or it will keep cycling on and off as pressure builds and drops. Look for a leak between the tank and the pump. You should beable to see that by taking the panels off in the utilities bay.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-03-2006, 05:42 AM   #19
Administrator Emeritus

Adrian,it must be an "inline" leak as it doesn't affect the pump....When I cycle a faucet on and off the pump turns on and off, thus my "inline" leak thought.
I'm headed to the dealer here in a second...waiting for the DW to be able to pick me up.
Will keep ya posted....
Old 04-03-2006, 06:19 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Bob,

That is what I am saying. It is highly unlikely the leak is somewhere between the pump and any of your faucets otherwise the pump would either stay on or cycle on and off. It is somewhere between the tank and the pump.

I would also get them to check your tank over flow "vent".

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD