Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-18-2023, 12:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Exclamation Simple toilet replacement for common leak problem

The bath in most of the winnie drops is a rather tight space to work in. My bad this year as I did not charge up the system with rv antifreeze and the dometic pressure flush toilet now needs a replacement pressure flush valve assembly. That is the only issue as well as the possibility of expansion cracking elsewhere in places like the outdoor shower valves and connections.

Unusual for here in Victoria to have the hard freeze necessary to split fittings but &&it happens.

In a way pulling the toilet was a very good idea anyway because the galvanized nut on one of the brass bolt stems was starting to rust to the point of seizing and in a few more seasons may very well have made the job a real nightmare as it is in older houses where sometimes the only sensible option for toilet removals is to smash the porcelain. In this case a hack saw would have made short shrift of the plastic dometic, if toilet murder became necessary.

As it is we should be able to repair the original bone colour unobtainuim toilet if the plastic insert valve assembly can simply be changed. We do have a new replacement toilet coming but it is white not bone white in colour so you know what will happen if someone with a decorator eye sees the difference in appearance

The pic of the toilet in the sun does not show that it is bone white but it is. Such is the nature of light on differing shades of whites. The new toilet should be here tomorrow sometime. Bone white dometic 301 replacement toilets are impossible to get right now here in Victoria... I wonder why LOL.

If we can we will salvage the old bone coloured one with a new fitting change. That is if in future we need to sell the trailer to an interior decorator shop or dealer who will undoubtedly knock dollars off for a decor deficiency as serious as a white toilet instead of an OEM bone white poop blasting pressure power dometic .

Martha Stewart would not approve of my toilet replacement choice, until someone has to go to the john that is! The pic of the toilet out of the trailer shows the part by the flush valve that has most likely split and it is adjacent to the flush handle valve.

Fortunately the inlet connection is fine and does not leak otherwise a supply hose resection surgery would have been necessary. As it is all that is needed is a new high quality neoprene washer for the connection coupling.

I will replace the rusted nuts with proper brass toilet grade nuts as the cheap galvanized factory install ones can become a nightmare over time if they seize up. Not much different than owning a boat and maintaining it IMO except winnie drops are useless on the salt chuck or the pond for that matter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic leaker.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	185700   Click image for larger version

Name:	rusted toilet hardware.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	185701  

Click image for larger version

Name:	offending part.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	185702  
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 12:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sure wish it was easy to change over to a Thetford in Winnebago trailers!!!! At least they still use NTP standard fittings and not hard pvc crap that deforms things and is almost impossible to torque enough against the gaskets without destroying the stupid plastic fitting. I can see that I will need to put a flat neoprene gasket in place of the taper that will not allow enough thread to grip on the stem of the valve water inlet.

Anyone here managed to fit a decent quality high end old school RV/Marine style crapper into a newer tiny Winnebago trailer bathroom?

Sure enough the dometic valve is cracked from being frozen and this is what was causing a drip. NOW at least I can replace the one on the bone white toilet with one of these OEM ones and have a spare crapper if the new one fails for any reason.

THAT is the problem with having a boat or an RV, one needs to practically have a warehouse of spare parts in the shed because of the levels of maintenance necessary.
FYI the valve is available here at etrailer and cheaper versions are available on amazon if one wants to take a chance on aftermarket cheap products.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...c/DOM93FR.html
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, leak, replace, replacement, toilet