Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What are the most common MH breakdowns?

Just curious as to what the most common MH breakdowns consist of. I have had a Class C and just recently moved up to a Class A. I never ever encountered any breakdowns myself and seen very few in my travels. Is it worth carrying things like spare drive belts, etc or do you just hope for the best. I would be interested to know what you guys carry, especially those with a Ford Triton chassis.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I carry an extra serpentine belt but that's about it. Do have extra motor oil, some replacement bulbs, fuses and nuts and bolts. If something major happens it's not getting fixed out of my toolbox. That's what road service is for.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We carry our roadside assistance phone number. (Coach-net)
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Breakdown

We have a '97 GB Pursuit and so far we have been lucky and have had nothing break . We think if you check the normal things (like tire's and such) before each trip and replace things like belt's and such every 4 years , it cuts down on your breakdown %.
Preventive maintance does help!
Have a safe and happy trip !
carahsue
Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Tires I would venture is probably the biggest downtimer out there. In 40 years I have not been down on the road for anything. That is not saying I didn't have problems, but they did not dump me. Preventive maintenance is your best insurance policy and a good Emergency Road Service is peace of mind.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Even if you can't change them your self, carry a set of fuel filters and belts. You can find someone to change them. Finding them on the road in ????, Nevada. Maybe not.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I carry serpentine belt,fuses from 2amp to 3ooamp,fuel filters, battery charger, jumper cables, tire plug kit, and tools. Wife and I changed out a alternator one friday night in 1hour that the Peterbuilt wanted 4hours labor at $125 per hour! We carry tools!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I agree that tires would likely be the biggest reason for roadside breakdowns. In six years of traveling at least 1/2 year we have not had roadside issues (knock on wood). We carry spare fuses, some duct tape, silicone spray and WD-40, as well as basic tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc). I hate working on mechanical things so if we break down it likely will be fixed by someone doing it for a living. We carry credit cards and Coach Net.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Fuel

Gas or Diesel fuel

rvGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

VISA!!!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
I would be interested to know what you guys carry, especially those with a Ford Triton chassis.
I do most all my own work so I carry tools. Road side assistance is next important in case something breaks I can't fix. Only part I carry is an extra drive belt. The only reason I have it is because a drive tensioner bearing went bad a couple years ago and I replaced it along with a new belt.

I figure if something breaks I can drive the toad to the nearest auto parts store and get the part I need. I don't have enough room to carry everything that might go bad. That's what preventive maintenance is for.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have not had any downtime on my Class A. However, on my first Class C, I had numerous issues with sensors. On my second Class C, I had issues with the turbo and injectors. I hope neither carry over to this coach.

TxTC
Old 03-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

If you want to save some cash then go on Ebay and buy a regulator for your Gen. If you need one on the road it will be 10 times the price for one at the dealer. Also carry some spare fuel line and a filter. Ask me how I know...
MRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We carry our roadside assistance phone number. (Coach-net)
+1

Never needed to (knock wood), but here's my plan:
1) Get the coach well off the road to a safe spot
2) Call Coach-Net
3) Pour a nice lemonade
4) Make a sandwich
5) Turn on the TV
6) Wait till we can go again
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

We've put on almost 100,000 miles on our current motorhome over the last 11 years. In all those miles and all those years the worst thing ve've had go wrong is a leaking valve stem on one of the tires.

When we had new tires installed they were balanced with EQUAL balancing powder. The valve stems they installed had a curve in them that caused the valve core to make a slight bend. When the valve core flexed the filter screen wasn't properly positioned and let some of the powder get caught in the valve core. Other than that there haven't been any problems that slowed us down or caused us to change any plans.

Like others we carry an extra quart of oil, a belt, a few bulbs and fuses. So far none of the spare parts have been used. We still leave them there for peace of mind. Hopefully they'll all get transferred to the new motorhome when the time comes.