Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-16-2024, 07:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Need-to-know Micro Minnie FLX design flaw if winter camping

I posted this as a reply in another post but feel like it is something every Minnie owner should know if winter camping and might avoid major issues.

2022 Micro Minnie FLX 2108TB

I am currently going through weather in the teens here in TX. Full-timer and first-timer winter living. I am at a full hookup site did all the recommended preps that I did research on and felt comfortable I was ready.

I let the faucet drip into a 2 1/2 ga tub that drained into another one and would just dump them so I could keep grey tank 1/2 full (I have heaters).

4am water dripping, 7am not dripping. Went out side and ice all around bib and hose. I had them all encased in foam. I have a feeling it was because I was using a regulator (no gauge). I unhook, bib was froze but hose had water. Dumped water on bib and water shot out. Hooked up and good to go. I am just temporarily regulating pressure with the nozzle on bib. I did enclose it in a bin with a cut out and stuffed in with towels.

Now the fun started. I decided to check my fresh water just in case. Turned on pump and struggle. Waited a second and same result.

I pulled up the flooring under the sink where the pump was and used a hair dryer to heat for a good amount of time and tried again.

It started and then just stopped. I assume I probably caused a piece of ice to get lodged in there and burnt it up. Not expensive so I will deal with that.

Still needed to find out how they got frozen.

I won't go into detail about me removing just about every logical panel but I'll tell you what I found.

At least in mine the feed line for the pump runs into the bay under the range and then splits into hot and cold lines in the bay under the range. The wheel well runs through both of these bays and the lines run right up against it the whole way.

The wheel well is probably .032 sheet metal. So the only thing in between these lines in an area that gets little if any heat and a 3deg 15mph wind, is .032" sheet metal. It is a poor design but an easy fix.

In addition to that there are 2 T-connectors with a steady drip. They crimp clamp and put on very poorly. Not something I can just adjust.

For the time being I pulled the lines away from the well and put stuff in between and have been pumping heat in the sink area with the flooring still pulled up. I put the drawer back in to contain heat. I also put a tarp up on the outside to block the well area.

As for the leaks I am just letting them drip into wads of paper towel and changed out as needed. One of the paper towels had ice on it so I know the wheel well is causing the freezing. I can't really fix anything until after this freeze breaks. And then make excuses to put it off lol.

I will be insulated the well and the lines in there.

I learned so much ripping apart my camper and actually thankful for the experience. I came across so many things that could be easily fixed and upgraded. Other than tight access they all should be pretty easy and inexpensive but prove valuable.

Other than the obvious tools the things that were invaluable to me today and I think a must have if winter camping if you don't have them:

1. Hairdryer--I am single and just happened to buy one last week for something else I wanted to repair. I wouldn't use a heat gun for stuff like this.

2. Headband Flashlight

3. Infrared Thermometer--I used the daylights out of mine and one with a laser was incredibly distance for unreachable areas. If you have a Micro and a dog...Make sure they don't see the laser. Micro small/Dog big.

Hope this helps and I actually encourage everyone at some point rip into every panel of your RV. Hopefully not during a major freeze but you know when you get time. I found so many easy upgrades it's crazy.

Checking to see how your waterlines is as easy as opening the drawer under the range and use a flashlight to look into the open area behind it.

Having issues uploading pictures but I will
dms7479 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter