Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
Let's kill some bugs!

Vista 32YE design flaw, beware

I love our new Vista 32YE, but today I noticed something all should be aware of, the shower door is vulnerable to accidental damage. You know how the bathroom door has a spring in the hinges to stay open, acting as a privacy door from the living area, right? When that bathroom door is open as a privacy block, the shower door is vulnerable to breakage, hitting the bathroom door handle. I like the big handles on the bathroom door, but in this case I think it's a design flaw, damage risk that was overlooked. If someone isn't careful, the shower door can accidentally be broken. A simple mistake like bending over dry yourself off after shower while in the hallway, your butt can hit the shower door, breaking it on the pointy door lock of the bathroom door. So beware, and don't break your shower door!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shower door.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	171131  
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I've never noticed this to be a problem on ours. I'll have to take a closer look next time I am over there.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

That bugs the Mrs for sure. I had thought about flopping it around but the bottom piece looks to be specific to opening that way. The rest of the parts would allow installing the solid panel towards the front, flipping the door top to bottom then installing to open towards the rear pocket door. I may fiddle with it when we get home in the spring but the bottom piece may require a difficult part. I have to take a closer look.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yes, was not thrilled about that "shower door to the door knob" interaction either. I put a "self-stick" rubberized "bumper" on our glass door to meet the pointy end of the door knob as some added protection. It is "clear" so it is not an eye sore. About an inch in diameter.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBear View Post
Yes, was not thrilled about that "shower door to the door knob" interaction either. I put a "self-stick" rubberized "bumper" on our glass door to meet the pointy end of the door knob as some added protection. It is "clear" so it is not an eye sore. About an inch in diameter.
I like that idea, and being clear is nice. I've seen white versions, but not clear versions of the type that are more flat. Here's what I found on Amazon, 2 to 3" sized protectors. I would prefer to spread any accidental impact over a wider area of the glass, but since the back of these protectors are not more rigid, I doubt if the diameter matters much. It's clearly better than nothing, and the cushion of these rubber protectors do help mitigate possible breakage, somewhat.

Does anyone know if these shower doors are glass or Plexiglas? I would assume they are Plexiglas given the light weight of the door, it feels like plastic, and for safety sake I would assume that's the case. However, Plexiglas can still crack and break if you accidentally put too much pressure on the shower door, banging against that metal door handle, pointy thingy.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote