Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-07-2022, 08:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Leaking Lavatory Elbows

The hot and cold lavatory elbows have been leaking. I replaced both conical washers but they still have a slow leak. Physical inspection does not turn up any cracks in the fittings. They started leaking last spring and then stopped during the summer. They started again when I unwinterized this spring. I have pictures but I can’t figure out how to upload them.
Bob Allwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well ,this might be one of those cases where personal choice gets involved!
Some may want to do the "official" fix and replace someparts that take a fair amount of work while others may go with quick and simple that sound really cheap????

I've done a bunch of work on old house which wre rental property where getting in, getting it fixed and worry about the long term was less important, so keep in mind how you want to go.

Plastic plumbing is great but it also has a few quirks which make it different than metal, so I adapted some of my work to meet what I found.

Plastic shrinks/swells and moves more than metal, so it tends to get loose more often, so I go for thins like the rubber cone washers if designed to fit but is not working due to not feeling safe to tighten further and possible break the fitting, I no longer hesitate to add some silicone caulk to the joint as a way to fill those tiny little spots where the washer may not compress enough with the force I feel is safe!

This does take some judgement as to how long to keep it dry while the silicone sets fully but in an RV that might be simple, if not using the RV ? The silicone in a closed space like the fitting does tend to take longer to set so I let it go for several hours before risking water which can wash damp caulk out.

That's a cheap quick sub for allowing me to get the work done while not spending lots more effort and time to replace pipes and fittings to find if there is one which has something I'm not seeing or is slightly out of round, etc.

If you ever need the joint apart the silicone is no big thing to unscrew and it does rub off the plastic fairly easily to be just as good (or bad) as before.

To post pics, have the picture on the computer, go to "advanced" rather than the "quick reply" and find a paper clip at the top to click and select picture, then be sure to go to the right side and upload!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your help. I was contemplating trying a sealer and will probably start with that.

Tags
leak