Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2022, 01:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water Heater - electric not working

Looking for some help troubleshooting.

I have a Dometic WH-6GEA water heater. Works perfectly on propane but doesn't heat the water when I try using the electric element. I've used my multimeter and confirmed power coming into and exiting the DSI Control Board so I don't think that is the problem. As I continued to troubleshoot, I noticed the manual shows a little device called a Thermal Cut-off which connects to the power supply line (I think). However, my unit doesn't appear to have one (see picture with yellow arrow). I've only had this rig for two months and been on three trips so this isn't a function of me doing anything to the unit. It just came that way.

So my question is: do we think this is the reason my water heater won't heat using the electric element? My gut tells me this shouldn't be the issue because the supply line is directly connected. Rather it is a safety issue which I need to fix asap.

If it isn't the Thermal Cut-off, thoughts on what it could be? I have another trip this weekend and can leverage my propane tanks even though we have full hook ups but want to figure this out so I'm not wasting my tanks. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic Diagram.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	182020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic TCO Missing.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	182021  

Old 02-14-2022, 03:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Let me know what you found out. We have a micro-minie 1708 FB 2022 and the water heater stopped working on the 3rd trip. Couldn't use the electric... We had plenty of propane!
Thanks
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:31 PM   #3
Site Team

It can't be the Thermal Cutoff, because when that "blows" it cuts off both Propane and Electric operation. So, since yours is working on Propane you know it's not that.

About the thermal cutoff missing... I'm not familiar with your model, Winnebago just recently switched from Atwood WHs to your Dometic model. Could the thermal cutoff be behind that metal box over the T-Stats? In general, in the past, these are small "rectifier-like" devices wired inline between the T-Stat or ECO and the circuit board.

They are a safety device - but they are there to protect against flare ups from a burner flu problem. They are considered necessary for any propane WH but as will most safety devices they are only necessary if something is very wrong with the gas flame in the burner.

With AC operation the usual suspects are:

1. Faulty circuit board
2. Blown fuse
3. Faulty power switch
4. Burned out or inoperative electric heating element
Old 02-14-2022, 05:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. Agree, I don't think the Thermal Cut-off...thanks for confirming. I do know for sure it is missing. The diagram from the owners manual shows it should be right where my yellow arrow is pointing. Unless it is somehow integrated but I find that hard to believe.

For the items you listed, any advice on how to test for those things? As I noted, there is good voltage on the wires both in and out of the circuit board. I'll check the fuses but pretty sure they are good. My next guess is the heating element...is there a way to test it?
Old 02-15-2022, 03:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Sooo, I finally figured out the issue and I admit it is a little embarrassing (and shocking). I was about to do an Ohm test on the heating element and wanted to disconnect the power first. I pulled off the panels inside my right to access to plug and outlet. Come to find...the WH wasn't plugged in! At first I thought it must have come unplugged on its own but turns out the plug can't even reach the outlet. I'm totally baffled on how this is possible since I was positive I was able to use electric heat previously. I tested the heating element and it was fine. From there, I used an extension cord to plug it in, powered everything up and sure enough, hot water is working.

My plan now is in the short term, use a short extension cord to make up the 1 foot gap between the power cord and outlet. Long term is to move the outlet closer to the cord.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behavedave View Post
Sooo, I finally figured out the issue and I admit it is a little embarrassing (and shocking). I was about to do an Ohm test on the heating element and wanted to disconnect the power first. I pulled off the panels inside my right to access to plug and outlet. Come to find...the WH wasn't plugged in! At first I thought it must have come unplugged on its own but turns out the plug can't even reach the outlet. I'm totally baffled on how this is possible since I was positive I was able to use electric heat previously. I tested the heating element and it was fine. From there, I used an extension cord to plug it in, powered everything up and sure enough, hot water is working.

My plan now is in the short term, use a short extension cord to make up the 1 foot gap between the power cord and outlet. Long term is to move the outlet closer to the cord.
So the cord wouldn't reach and Winnebago just left it that way? Would it be easier to install a longer cord on the WH?
Old 02-15-2022, 06:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yes, probably would be easier to get a longer power cord from the WH but I think that might be a little beyond my skill set.

And yea I’m shocked it was sent out that way.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater