Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-17-2020, 07:18 AM   #1
Site Team

Gray Tank Rinse

Hey All,

Has anyone added a rinse to their gray tank? We have one on the black tank from the factory but I want to get one on the gray tank too. We're getting readings on our level lights like there is water in the tank and I know it's just "goop" on the tank as it's empty. I want to be able to rinse that down with a sprayer. We have a macerator with a gray water bypass so it's usually empty/ open until the night before we move.

This past summer I replace the sprayer head on the black tank. This is the same unit that is installed from the factory and what I will buy for the gray. I'm just not sure what the actual tank looks like (yet) to know if it will work. We're in a 2010 Vista 32K if that matters any.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The other alternative that might be easier (as a pure guess) would be removing the existing sensors and cleaning them off by hand. That wouldn't be too disgusting with the grey tank and depending on their location might be a lot easier than trying to plumb a rinse line.

Another alternative. If you did do it I would consider maybe plumbing it into the water line of the unit (with a check valve for sure!). That way you would not have to plumb through the exterior and you could just clean it out sometime when camped connected to sewer. Of course it would become yet another thing to winterize. (As would be your original idea.)
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
The other alternative that might be easier (as a pure guess) would be removing the existing sensors and cleaning them off by hand. That wouldn't be too disgusting with the grey tank and depending on their location might be a lot easier than trying to plumb a rinse line.

Another alternative. If you did do it I would consider maybe plumbing it into the water line of the unit (with a check valve for sure!). That way you would not have to plumb through the exterior and you could just clean it out sometime when camped connected to sewer. Of course it would become yet another thing to winterize. (As would be your original idea.)
I'm not sure I have much access to the sensors. I know I can see the tank from inside the mechanical's compartment but I have to take everything in there apart to get to it. Even then I'm not sure what side the sensors are on so that may or may not work for me. Will need to dig into it to see. I may try that before I move towards installing the sprayer as, you're right, it'll be much easier than installing the rinse.

Winterizing isn't a concern for me. We're in Florida and we don't typically see any real "winter" that would require winterizing to that point.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I'm not sure I have much access to the sensors. I know I can see the tank from inside the mechanical's compartment but I have to take everything in there apart to get to it. Even then I'm not sure what side the sensors are on so that may or may not work for me..
Yeah, I didn't expect you to know. I don't know where they are on mine. I suspect I'd have to pull down some insulation underneath because I think that's what hides the tank on my unit. And dollars to donuts I'd probably find them up against a beam of the frame.

I wonder if you could go the other way, assuming you have access to a suitable gravel area, and push a sprayer up the drain opening????? That again is something you could do with a grey tank but not a brown tank.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you are still thinking about cleaning the sensors you might want to try this guys solution. It works too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	173112  
Old 03-24-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
If you are still thinking about cleaning the sensors you might want to try this guys solution. It works too.

THANKS! We may try that this next week. We have to move (assuming that we will be allowed, they just locked down the FL county we are in.)
Old 03-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

You are welcome Thomb. Let folks know how it works for you when you get a chance. I found his suggestions some time ago and I never have a bad reading on my sensors. Also, since I hate smelling the scented black tank additives I tried his Dawn and Borax treatment. I dont get any bad odors unless we haven't been using enough water. I just add water using the flush valve and the odor clears.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #8
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

I got tired of using those sensors and readout panel and upgraded to SeeLevel sensor system. Not an easy or cheap upgrade but after 2 years, no problems plus I know within a gallon or so how much is really in my tanks (fresh, gray, black and propane). IMO, worth their weight in gold.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:59 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I think the tornado is a great idea. I tried all kinds of chemicals, including the recipe above without any luck. My sensors were being fooled by 1/2 of sludge on the walls of the tank. I snaked a pressure washer up the drain, and I couldn't believe what came out.

Some kind of concrete lining formed of soap scum, coffee grounds, and god knows what else. MUCH WORSE than my black tank!

I now clean it once a year, and have no problems!

Best of luck
Old 03-25-2020, 07:36 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Grey water flush fixed

We had a similar issue with our newer unit. The grey water gauge read 1/3 full went clearly it was empty.

We used this Thetford Grey water treatment, and I worked on the first try. We also use a backflush connection to fill the great tank and flush out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1AAB7E64-5082-4E4B-857E-FA95080091B7.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	173117   Click image for larger version

Name:	684CCD91-A12C-490E-84C5-9F7ACAE53080.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	173118  

Old 03-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
THANKS! We may try that this next week. We have to move (assuming that we will be allowed, they just locked down the FL county we are in.)

It is a Safer at Home Order in Pinellas County (if your at the location in your signiture) that takes effect on March 26th and stays in effect as long as the existing State of Local Emergency remains in effect and ceases to be extended. They tied them together so extending the State of Local Emergency will automatically extend both.

It may close the pool and other public areas of the campground however is not a full lock down so it allows for shopping, eating, etc along with getting some outdoor activity that does not violate social distancing regulations such as yard work, walking the dog, your daily jog/bicycle ride/power walk and similar. What it does do is give them the authority to take action against violators/abusers. Even what are considered non-essential businesses will be allowed to continue production as long as they are not found to be violating the social distancing order.

Here is the resolution that was passed today as posted on the Counties WebSite:
https://www.pinellascounty.org/emerg...9/res20-20.pdf

On the grey tank sensor issue many find that its grease and fat from cookware and the use of conditioners and other bathing products with lotions inside them that cause the problems. Letting the tank fill up half way, adding some dishwasher detergent and taking a drive about tapping the brakes firmly a few times to help stir things up many times will clear the gray tank sensors. Food waste from washing pots, pans and dishes can make the grey tank stink worse than the black tank and splatter that dries on the sides of the tank due to leaving it open can many time cause sensor issues. Since I stopped leaving the grey tank drain opened I have greatly reduced issues with the grey tank sensors.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:35 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
On the grey tank sensor issue many find that its grease and fat from cookware and the use of conditioners and other bathing products with lotions inside them that cause the problems. Letting the tank fill up half way, adding some dishwasher detergent and taking a drive about tapping the brakes firmly a few times to help stir things up many times will clear the gray tank sensors. Food waste from washing pots, pans and dishes can make the grey tank stink worse than the black tank and splatter that dries on the sides of the tank due to leaving it open can many time cause sensor issues. Since I stopped leaving the grey tank drain opened I have greatly reduced issues with the grey tank sensors.
The last few times we have moved we've done the liquid dishwasher soap / calgon in the tank but it's stopped working (we do it about once a month normally). This past winter we stayed in Tucson for 3 months. Normally we'd move every few weeks and were able to keep it clean.

I did see that Pinellas was "safer at home", thanks.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:56 AM   #13
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

I think that the overall lesson here is watch what you pour down your sink drains, even at home if you still have one. Careless cooks keep their local plumbers busy and well paid. Never dump grease down the drain. It will solidify and stick to just about anything. Solids, food scraps and grease from cooking pots and pans need to be scraped and disposed of in the trash. Maybe you need to address how and what you are cooking in your RV and make some adjustments as the drainage system is not as robust as the one at home.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Gray water tank problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
I think that the overall lesson here is watch what you pour down your sink drains, even at home if you still have one. Careless cooks keep their local plumbers busy and well paid. Never dump grease down the drain. It will solidify and stick to just about anything. Solids, food scraps and grease from cooking pots and pans need to be scraped and disposed of in the trash. Maybe you need to address how and what you are cooking in your RV and make some adjustments as the drainage system is not as robust as the one at home.
Amen, brother. We've always poured out grease into the trash, wiped food off pots, pans and dishes as much as possible before washing, and never put left over milk, juice, etc. down the gray water drain. Also, we let the gray water tank fill almost full before dumping instead of letting it continuously drain.

So, far we've never had a gray water level sensor problem (Knock on wood).
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrattain View Post
Amen, brother. We've always poured out grease into the trash, wiped food off pots, pans and dishes as much as possible before washing, and never put left over milk, juice, etc. down the gray water drain. Also, we let the gray water tank fill almost full before dumping instead of letting it continuously drain.

I've been trying to teach my gang to leave the paper napkins with the plates and to use them to wipe them off before washing them. Why throw away the paper napkin that's already seen some use and grab another paper product to wipe off the plate before washing it? Using gallons of water to rinse it down the sink and then through the grey tank is counter productive too.

A while back someone posted a video they made using a clear plastic tank to show how food scraps build up in the grey tank when its left open and it wasn't pretty. Once it dries on its just about impossible to clean it out with just municipal water pressure.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #16
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Same here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrattain View Post

We follow the exact same handling procedures for grey water, still, we had an issue. I think it probably doesn’t take much to cause a faulty reading.

Tags
tank