Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

City water intake loose /water leaking from near rear bumper

Hi all. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Brand new Minnie. First time connecting to city water the female connector on the side of the rig - to which I attached my 90-degree drop fitting - felt a little loose. (By 'loose' I mean it would turn quite a bit without a lot of effort). I had to firmly hold the female receptacle with vice grips while attaching the male end of the 90-degree elbow. Otherwise the female receptacle rotated quite a bit and there was no way to get the fitting tight.

Eventually got it connected. Water worked fine inside. Slow drip from the blue low-level drain (not sure why... can anyone help me understand that?) but otherwise all seemed fine.

Second time connecting to city water the female receptacle seems even more loose. Got the connection nice and tight so not even a drop of water leaking from the connection on the exterior of the RV. Water worked great inside. But I noticed a pretty steady drip coming from near the center of the rear bumper. Looked closely from below and there seemed to be a small hole in the black plastic-like fabric near the rear bumper (insulation?) from which there is water dripping.

This scares me. To me it seems that the connection from the city water inlet to the plumbing inside the RV may be compromised.... and appears to be leaking water that is pooling inside that insulation?

Anyone understand what I'm trying to describe? Anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance...
2020 Winnebago Minnie Travel Trailer
2701 RBS
Minnie2701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Is the RV a new thing to you so that you might be totally missing a small point on the connection? I suspect the problem is in not understanding and using the connection in the right way.
If you were not using the ninety degree fitting, you would have a hose to connect to the fitting and that means you would not want to try to turn the entire length of the hose but WOULD want the female fitting on the RV to turn!
Yes, it will be loose and yes, you do want it to turn to thread it on the hose end or when using the angle fitting, onto that.

So from there things can get tricky as you may have broken the attachment between the female fitting and the tubing behind it. This "may" let water spray inside and wind up on top of the weatherproofing plastic underneath. But it does sound like there are two questions.

First, I would look at the female fitting and see if there are not a couple screws which hold it in the "wall" for mounting. If you take those screws out, you might expect to pull the fitting forward enough to get a look at the connect to the tubing and fix or repair it, is needed.
Perhaps you have some form of this fitting:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Water-In...-0171LFVP.html
Lots of slightly different types styles, though.

The drip from the drain may be as simple as the valve not closed well or it could be there is a bit of debris in the valve and opening to drain some and closing it may clear it.
There is always some chance that the valve is defective and leaks but not very normal.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the quick reply. Pulled the intake out and there was a poor factory connection at the backside of the plate. Threw some Teflon tape on the threads and tightened it back up. All good now, but there’s another issue I’m going to list as a defect and ask the dealer to address on our way out of town. The pex hose connected to the city water intake at the factory was about 6” too long... so to attach the intake plate they had to put a sharp kink in the hose which will eventually - or maybe soon - fail. Since the rig is brand new I’m going to ask the dealer to address that along with a few other defects we shook out on the trip home.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Minnie2701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds fair to me if you take it back!!
Have a good trip!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak