Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water intake

We have a 2021 navionJ 24. Trying to fill the water tank with city water, turned off water pump, moved valve to fill the tank, connected the water hose to the inlet and placed regulator. Turned the water on and nothing goes to the tank, all the water spills around the connection between the hose and the tank.
Any suggestions please
Jrodri1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
maybe the tank is full?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The new parts list for that year is not up yet but I assume it is much like other years and you have what looks like a knob with an open center where you screw the hose into?
Sounds like you are missing a hose washer or not getting it tight enough as water should go into the inside plumbing or into the tank, depending on valve position. None should come out at the connection.
Looking into the center of the "knob " that you turn to tighten the hose, you should see a rubber type washer like normal garden hose would use. The hose has to be tight enough to compress that washer enough to seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020 navion.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	176225  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes I see the red rubber gasket and I have secure the hose very well, I think could be that the inlet has pressure mechanism and is not allowing the water in??
Old 12-12-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrodri1981 View Post
Yes I see the red rubber gasket and I have secure the hose very well, I think could be that the inlet has pressure mechanism and is not allowing the water in??
Hmm. What if you were to open a valve, say at the kitchen sink, while you try and fill? Could there be a type of vapor lock? IDK, but I’d try it..

But you are sure your tank isn’t full? You didn’t answer that...
Old 12-13-2020, 05:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Tank is 1/3
Old 12-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I can't say from here what the problem is but there is one thing that I can point out and that may help. You say the hose is attached well but water comes out at the connection? That actually means one or the other is true. If the hose is screwed on correctly so that it seals, water can't come out!
So it needs to be checked on where exactly the water is coming out. If the water comes out where the hose attaches to the fitting, it is NOT attached well for whatever reason.

Perhaps there is a problem with the washer as there are times when we mess with our own actions. Is it possible there are really two washers so that the hose will not screw in all the way. My wife has shown me that it is possible to put two in and it doesn't work!

But then there is always the possibility that there is a real problem that is keeping the water from moving on into the tank as well as leaking. The problem with leaking doesn't mean there is not also another problem with the water flow.

There is a check valve type plastic item in the fill port, so using something to first look at it and then gently push on it to see that the spring is working right may tell you something. What you should normally expect to see is a white plastic disk that is pushed outward toward the metal to make a seal when the water pump is turned on to keep water from the tank being forced out the fill port. But they can get stuck or turned sideways, etc. rather than "floating" on the spring so push on it to make sure it will go in to let the faucet water pass.

Another point to check is that the valve is turned correctly to let the water go into the tank as it is just acts as a "Y" to let water go one way or the other depending if you are filling or using the water. This will not create a leak but if the valve is turned wrong the higher pressure may make a bad connection show up. Some of the labels on the valve make it confusing so try both directions on the valve even though it may look totally clear to you.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrodri1981 View Post
Tank is 1/3
And you know this how? If you’re relying on the tank’s gauge, what if it were wrong?

After trying all of Morich’s logical suggestions, if nothing works, what if you were to drain some water out of the tank, and then try filling it again...
Old 12-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

How do you know that “all of the water” is not going in the tank. Maybe some is and some isn’t. I.e some is going into the tank and some is spilling out the connection. I would check the washer and check valve as mentioned above.
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:34 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
How do you know that “all of the water” is not going in the tank. Maybe some is and some isn’t. I.e some is going into the tank and some is spilling out the connection. I would check the washer and check valve as mentioned above.
Ok, off topic, but you say “as mentioned above”, but in my thread the older posts are above. How does one change that?
Old 12-13-2020, 12:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The full tank is not one for me as it has to have a vent to let air out while we put water in.
If there is no vent, it becomes like us blowing into a soda bottle and the air can't get out so the flow stops or the tank blows. Then when we try to pump water out of the tank and if there were no vent we would draw a vacuum and get no flow.
Something small but not obvious?
What happens if the diverter valve is only half way turned so that neither path is open?
Old 12-13-2020, 12:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Ok, off topic, but you say “as mentioned above”, but in my thread the older posts are above. How does one change that?
Unknown. Mine has always had the #1 post on the top and the last post on the bottom. Maybe a setting somewhere.
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

PRV

If the pressure reducing valve is installed backwards this may be the problem.
johnmedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmedman View Post
If the pressure reducing valve is installed backwards this may be the problem.
Can you explain where this valve is and how it can be installed backwards?
Old 12-20-2020, 07:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
maybe the tank is full?
Did you try and read your owners manual?
Ray G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
The new parts list for that year is not up yet but I assume it is much like other years and you have what looks like a knob with an open center where you screw the hose into?
Sounds like you are missing a hose washer or not getting it tight enough as water should go into the inside plumbing or into the tank, depending on valve position. None should come out at the connection.
Looking into the center of the "knob " that you turn to tighten the hose, you should see a rubber type washer like normal garden hose would use. The hose has to be tight enough to compress that washer enough to seal.
Might consider pulling that washer completely out for inspection. I once had a leaky non-RV hose connection the defied fixing, but visually looked ok. When I finally pulled the washer out I found it was split and apparently tightening the connection caused the split to separate enough to cause a leak.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:43 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

PRV

It is just a thought but usually when you hook up your water hose you want to control water pressure. It is NOT provided by winnebago but the dealer should have sold one to you. It is usually brass, small and almost always has an arrow indicating direction of flow. The arrow should point towards the motorhome. Good luck and hope this fixes your problem.
johnmedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:05 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I would connect the pressure reducer to the hose before attaching it to the water inlet and make sure water is flowing out of it properly. There is a seal where you connect your hose that prevents back flow. Press on it and make sure it is flexing and not stuck. A word of warning about that seal. You press on it when you winterize your rv to get water that collects on the other side out. A lot of times it does not reseal so I use a water hose shutoff valve and thread it into the rv water inlet. I have had to use a shutoff on all three rv's that I have owned. Its a cheap solution to the problem. Maybe the valve that changes the water flow from city to fill might not be turning all the way and is blocking all water flow. You should hear the water dumping into the tank. Open and close all the valves in the compartment and see if that frees anything up. Check the winterizing switch ?good luck
plrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

When speaking of the add-on type pressure reg that goes inline with the hose my thoughts are that they have male and female threads on the reg and it makes it really almost impossible to screw the female threaded end to the female threads on the RV.
That makes getting it installed backwards really hard to do.
This is the Camco brand but there are others of the same design:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	regulator.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	176417  
Old 12-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Manual fill cap

Make sure the manual fill door is open. On a new rig it might actually make an airtight seal.
DrMack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water