Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Atwood water heater

Can I replace the electric heating element without removing the whole unit 2001 32v thanks in edvanced
Pixalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Looking at the drawings for your RV here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...01/1wpg32v.pdf

On page 267, there is a parts drawing which shows the heating element as sticking out the front where i would assume it is easy enough to get to it for removal. Item 15 in this snip?

But before going that route, I might ask if you are SURE as the element tends to be a pretty big solid thing tied to several small delicate things like wires, switches and control boards that tends to break more often!!
One way to test the element is to put a meter on the two wires going in and out and see a solid reading from one wire to the other for good and no reading for bad!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heating ele.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	180920  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the help
Pixalmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Check boatandrvaccessories.com

Our 2007 Journey has its original GCH10A-4E. That is the model with the engine waste heat feature (Gas/Electric/engine radiator loop). Checked inside condition with an endoscope. Decided to replace. Looked everywhere. Found it there, although back ordered. Likely on one of those 70 container ships loitering off Long Beach.

They list Atwood parts.

Also RVPartsNation.com is a source.

Not difficult to replace electric element if not too corroded. Threaded fitting.
Wiring is simple bayonet connection. Take a photo of the element before removing. Then re- installing wires becomes "intuitively obvious to the most casual observer".

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If it's anything like mine, no. I didn't have enough room behind the tank to slide the element out. I did meter mine and it was shot. If you meter yours and it's no good, order a new one. You can see how long it is and if there is enough room. Don't waste your money on the tool to remove it. Just get a 1 1/2" socket. I had to use an impact wrench to break it loose. Yours is a year older than mine was so I imagine it's just as corroded in there.

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, water, water heater