Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2023, 04:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2016 Minnie Winnie 22r water coming out of tank fill hose connection

I have a 2016 Minnie Winnie 22r and noticed water coming out of tank fill hose connection when parked. I filled the tank for a quick weekend trip last weekend. We did NOT use all of the water and I noticed last night that the water was back feeding up through the tank fill connection.
Any ideas on why this is happening????

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 05-12-2023, 08:36 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Sharpe Tunes,
If you have your 22R hooked-up to City Fill, and your tank overflow is blocked, and your water pump seals are worn or somehow obstructed, then yes that can happen. Of course, if you saw a man wearing robes carrying a long staff and he struck a rock under where you were parked, that could be it too!
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 05-12-2023, 08:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Sharpe Tunes,
If you have your 22R hooked-up to City Fill, and your tank overflow is blocked, and your water pump seals are worn or somehow obstructed, then yes that can happen. Of course, if you saw a man wearing robes carrying a long staff and he struck a rock under where you were parked, that could be it too!
Thanks, Eagle5
Eagle5, I was NOT connected to the City Fill. It was parked in My garage with a 1/2 tank and the water was coming out of the Tank fill. It was only dripping but it was a lot of water over time.

And No robed Man carrying a LONG Staff!
Old 05-12-2023, 08:53 AM   #4
Site Team

Well then, this is a little bit of a mystery. It seems that your tank overflow should also be leaking.
Old 05-12-2023, 09:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Eagle5, I have had this RV for a few years now and have not had this problem. Overflow is not leaking. It is all most like the fresh water tank is building pressure and pushing water out of the tank fill. I replaced the hose washer in the female side of the hose fitting and tightened the Male plug up to see if it is truly building pressure and leaks out of the over flow. Currently the fresh tank is about 1/2 full.

Do you know if there is a backcheck valve at the tank fill? To prevent this from happening?
Old 05-12-2023, 09:28 AM   #6
Site Team

As far as I know, there is no backflow check valve on the tank fill.
I would fill the tank and assure myself that the overflow is pouring out water once the tank is full. Then, I would drain the tank to see if there is any discoloration in the water.
Old 05-12-2023, 09:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

When I filled the tank it was overflowing so I know the overflow works.
Why would there be discolored water?
We never leave water in the tank unless it is a short turn around to another trip. Which it was taht is why I left it partially full.
Old 05-12-2023, 09:52 AM   #8
Site Team

Good that the overflow is working.
Discolored water could indicate that something is growing in the tank, causing a pressure build-up.
I would drain the tank at this point.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpe Tunes View Post
Eagle5, I have had this RV for a few years now and have not had this problem. Overflow is not leaking. It is all most like the fresh water tank is building pressure and pushing water out of the tank fill. I replaced the hose washer in the female side of the hose fitting and tightened the Male plug up to see if it is truly building pressure and leaks out of the over flow. Currently the fresh tank is about 1/2 full.

Do you know if there is a backcheck valve at the tank fill? To prevent this from happening?

Every city water fill hose connection has a check valve to prevent backflow that I know of; otherwise every time the onboard water pump is turned on it would push water back out that connection.
Sometimes I've just used a pencil eraser end to push that checkvalve in a quickly release it to reset the valve.

If your check valve is broken, the simple short-term solution is to screw a nylon plug into where you just removed the city water hose.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 10:14 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Every city water fill hose connection has a check valve to prevent backflow that I know of;
I believe the OP is talking about the GRAVITY fill, not the City Water Connection/Fill. There would not be a check valve on the Gravity Fill.
Old 05-14-2023, 11:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I believe the OP is talking about the GRAVITY fill, not the City Water Connection/Fill. There would not be a check valve on the Gravity Fill.

He said "hose connection".

If that is the actual fact, it's impossible for water to come out of the gravity fill opening unless he's parking on a steep incline with gravity fill on the lower side just after filling the tank to the top.
If the water pump was pumping backwards, as soon as the plumbing lines empty the pump would quit working.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-14-2023, 11:50 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If that is the actual fact, it's impossible for water to come out of the gravity fill opening
When filling the gravity fill with a hose it's common for water to come back out, sometimes forceably, when the fresh tank over fills. If you've really over filled the fresh tank I've seen water coming out of the gravity feed for a number of minutes after the hose is removed.

What's not common is for water to come out of the gravity feed from a partially empty tank.

Every once and a while, when connected to city water (non-gravity) with the hose just supplying water to the RV, not filling the fresh tank, that city water check valve to leak water into the fresh tank and once full to over flow in multiple areas including out of the gravity feed.

I don't think we have enough info about what the OP is saying is happening to determine what this issue could be.
Old 05-14-2023, 12:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Re-read his post. He said the tank was partially empty. I too am guilty of speed-reading and missing facts in a post..
I agree, his post is easy to confuse facts.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:56 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
What's not common is for water to come out of the gravity feed from a partially empty tank.
I'm not trying to be ornery here... honest. Just reacting to your statements about water coming out of the gravity feed. I agree it shouldn't come out of the gravity feed of a partially filled fresh tank... unless it was filled up via the city water and he wasn't aware it was doing that.

Let's just wait and see if the OP comes back and explains further.
Old 05-15-2023, 04:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the help. Let me try to clarify.

I was NOT connected to any incoming water source.

The water was coming out of the Tank (Gravity) fill as a steady drip. At the time of the drip(Leak) the RV was parked in a garage on level floor and the tank was 1/2 full.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:48 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I filled the Tank again last night and the water was pouring out this time. There is a small spring loaded check valve at the Tank fill, it is internal / integral(one piece) to the hose connection for the tank fill.

There is a small design flaw, that is probably in most RV / campers. When the tank is full, the water level is higher than the tank fill hose connection, So if the back check valve fails the weight of the water will push through(back feed) the hose fill. I will stop at my dealer this afternoon and try to get the part to replace it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Fill.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	186000  
Old 05-16-2023, 08:01 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

There should be a check valve in that fitting that is there to prevent water from coming back out. It is not hard to change if you can get to the piping/hose behind it.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:10 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
There should be a check valve in that fitting that is there to prevent water from coming back out. It is not hard to change if you can get to the piping/hose behind it.
Tim,

thanks and yes I took it apart last night.
Old 05-16-2023, 08:18 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

did you find something stuck in it or do you need a new one?
Old 05-16-2023, 08:44 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
did you find something stuck in it or do you need a new one?
I could not find any sort of debris in it. I'm just going to replace it. It is a $15 dollar part

Tags
tank, water