Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-16-2022, 07:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Surround Sound / Blueray

My new to me 2007 Journey came with an aftermarket LG BlurRay/Surround Sound. It sounds ok but is a little old. I am looking for a replacement that will include Bluetooth connectivity and maybe even WIFI.

The original Winegaurd switch box is working well allowing me to select antenna, or cable tv, and they work well.

The satellite dish is long gone and the cables are cut at the roof line, so not in play at all.

My setup allows me to plug a ROKU into a spare HDMI to my TV and it works well if I have WIFI available.

My question; What Surround Sound, BlueRay equipment have others purchased and are happy with?
Old 03-24-2022, 04:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
My new to me 2007 Journey came with an aftermarket LG BlurRay/Surround Sound. It sounds ok but is a little old. I am looking for a replacement that will include Bluetooth connectivity and maybe even WIFI.

My question; What Surround Sound, BlueRay equipment have others purchased and are happy with?

I have a 2009 Winnebago Journey and replaced all 3 TVs with Samsung HDTVs. I then replaced the DVD player/surround sound unit with a Samsung HD-4500 Blue Ray/Surround sound unit. It has all the modern Bluetooth and WIFI stuff but still has hard wired speakers connections. What I found is the latest units are using wireless speakers which causes you to find 120 outlets to power the wireless speakers. None of the factory speaker locations has 120V outlets and I did not want the extra wires hanging around. Now the HD-4500 is not available because it is an older unit but after determining it had the features I wanted I was able to locate a used one on eBay. Works great and sounds great. So be careful what unit you you choose because it might be more work than you want to do.
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Thanks, I will check that unit out.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:00 AM   #4
Site Team

Everybody's different and we all like different forms of entertainment. Our 2017 Adventurer has the LG Blueray/Surround Sound unit in it. When we first got the RV 5-years ago we used it and Blueray discs a little here and there. We experimented running the living room TV sound through it and such.

Pretty quickly though, after the novelty wore off, we never use it any longer and probably haven't turned it on for nearly 4-years.

Since your RV is new to you, you might live with what you have for a while and see if you really want to upgrade that unit.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Everybody's different and we all like different forms of entertainment. Our 2017 Adventurer has the LG Blueray/Surround Sound unit in it. When we first got the RV 5-years ago we used it and Blueray discs a little here and there. We experimented running the living room TV sound through it and such.

Pretty quickly though, after the novelty wore off, we never use it any longer and probably haven't turned it on for nearly 4-years.

Since your RV is new to you, you might live with what you have for a while and see if you really want to upgrade that unit.
I pretty much agree with the lack of use of the Blue Ray but you still need the surround sound unit. Might as well kill two birds with one stone. We use Dish Network for almost all our entertainment but also use Amazon Prime with our phone hotspot. The newer HDTVs work with Amazon Prime without a Amazon Prime Fire Stick
Old 03-28-2022, 01:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I did find a 4500 on EBAY for $42, but it looks like I should also purchase the speaker connectors for the rear of the unit. It is very similarly sized to the LG unit but has the LAN, and Bluetooth connectivity I am looking for. We watch very little broadcast TV but to like to watch our movies, and on our recent trip to Florida watched the Olympics almost every night along with watching the Bengals loose, (face palm).
Old 03-28-2022, 06:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I did find a 4500 on EBAY for $42, but it looks like I should also purchase the speaker connectors for the rear of the unit. It is very similarly sized to the LG unit but has the LAN, and Bluetooth connectivity I am looking for. We watch very little broadcast TV but to like to watch our movies, and on our recent trip to Florida watched the Olympics almost every night along with watching the Bengals loose, (face palm).
Yes just buy a set of speaker connectors for the unit. It will simplify installation. Ebay or Amazon will have them.