Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

This is my first posting on this (or any) RV forum so I will gladly accept any comments or critisism.
We recently purchased a 2001 Itasca Suncruiser 35U that has surround sound. I can make it work with the radio but can't seem to figure out how to get the surround speakers to work with the TV. Everything looks original except the VCR has been swapped with a VCR/DVD combo. I think I have tried everything in the manual but no luck. Any ideas?

Workhorse Chassis
Norm3206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

This is my first posting on this (or any) RV forum so I will gladly accept any comments or critisism.
We recently purchased a 2001 Itasca Suncruiser 35U that has surround sound. I can make it work with the radio but can't seem to figure out how to get the surround speakers to work with the TV. Everything looks original except the VCR has been swapped with a VCR/DVD combo. I think I have tried everything in the manual but no luck. Any ideas?

Workhorse Chassis
Old 07-20-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

Norm3206, welcome to the forum.

I moved your post to the Winnebago forum where your fellow Winnebago/Itasca owners will find it easier.

I'm sure one will be along shortly to help.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Norm3206 - Welcome to the Winnie forum! Have tried switching the "Radio Power" switch to aux? Yours may have different labeling, but on the dash there should be a switch to supply power to the dash radio from either chassis or house batteries. My surround only works when it's in the aux (house batt) position.

I assume you've already found the Radio/TV surround sound source switch that's probably in the upper right cabinet. The other possibility would be something miss-set in the audio menu on the TV. Be sure to let us know what you find fixes it so we all can learn...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I've changed the power switch to "house" on my rig and have switched the source switch as well. Can't seem to find anything in the audio menu but will give that another shot. What is used as an amplifier when using the surround sound with the TV?

Workhorse Chassis
Old 07-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It took me a while to figure this out when I got mine a couple of months back and for the life of me I can't remember what I did. It seems that it is a sourcing problem (obvious) but I would ask have you gotten the DVD to play any CDs and get Surround Sound to work. This is the first thing I did and then I played around with the Sound Menu and sourcing options. My MH is stored and won't be into it for a couple of weeks. If you do not have it solved by then (and I hope you do) I will check into it.
Frank O.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the Winnebago sand box Norm...

If your DVD/VCR has been swapped out, it's entirely possible that the surround sound electronics went with it. My '06 Meridian, and most I've seen have the audio amp built into the DVD/VCR from the factory. What is your replacement unit?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Winnie might have used the faux "QSurround" or whatever they call it on your 2000 model. It is not real 5.1 surround sound, it is just a box that looks like a car amplifier that converts right/left audio input (from the TV) into a signal than can drive multiple speakers. My QSurround is located in the basement compartment under the driver's position.

Download your wiring diagram from the Winnie web site and look for the sheet with the entertainment electronics. All should be revealed there.

Welcome to the forum

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

My surround amp is behind the driver's left foot rest. The location seems to vary from model to model. Jeff's mention of the DVD/VCR unit is possible, but I think Winnie only started using that setup in the last couple of years.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Tomsm, Has it right. swith the switch to TV and then the Aux switch to house and away you go...
good luck and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:11 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I have to do the same thing on my setup. Switch to house power and move the selector in the overhead cabinet to TV (instead of radio input) and then you are off and running. I know it is hard to check but, if someone has changed out the TV in the overhead, then you need to make sure that there is an audio cable out connected to the TV -- this is where the source for the sound comes from. If your TV has been replaced, then someone may not have connected that audio out cable back to the new TV.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

On mine, Sunrise 35L, tomake the surround sound work with the TV I have to go into the TV setup menu and turn off the TV internal speakers.

2007 Sunrise 35L
TB-ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:38 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have found the surround sound feature will work when the TV sound is down all the way, then use the DVD remote volume to bring up the surround volume.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

On ours I had to program the TV channels into the surround system much like we do the channels into the TV when first setting up in a new area. Once that was done the system worked fine. Look at the surround sound owners manual for instructions on how to program in the channels.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

need similar help. I have a new to me a 2002 Itasca Horizon. The surround sound volume is not adjustable when on TV mode - its on and way loud. But on radio mode, the sound adjusts fine via the radio volume knob. The TV volume on the remote does not adjust the sound (regular TV or dvd). The vcr/dvd remote does not adjust the sound level. The TV output volume is fixed. The TV remote only adjust the vol on the TV, but not the surround. The rig has the stock Sharp 25 inch TV. Anyone know how to get sound addjustment when in TV mode?? I cannot beleive that the factory config is no sound adjustment.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:57 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I just made a long reply to this question with a solution from David Navone Engineering (see similiar question in this forum -- I do not know how to link you there or I would). They have an in line solution already mounted in a nice little black box. Their web site is www.autosound2000.com. The product you are looking for is the N-22V which is right after the stereo amps section (you have to scroll down to get to them. Cost was $21.50 plus shipping. Very good product -- solved my problem.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for this input, but I find it very odd the Winny would sell a coach surround sound system (option) where you cannot adjust the volume (via a remote) when watching TV as the source.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:38 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

The original TV in mine would allow me to adjust the sound with the volume control of the TV -- it had variable output from the TV. The new LCD flat screen that I have put in does not have the variable output -- just a constant output. I guess in a sense, I have bypassed what Winny had in the coach with the upgrade and I think that more and more of us will be doing that as we upgrade the equipment. Some LCD's will have variable output and some, like mine, will not.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2001 Suncruiser 37G. On the passenger side upper cabinet where the video buttons/controller is located, there is a toggle switch to switch the surround sound from "Radio" to "TV". That is how mine works.
kmb1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:20 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forums on irv2 kmb1966 and thanks for your first post.
Enjoy all the forums on irv2 and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote