Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

bsellers and lthrnk, one claification on your statements. I too agree that surround sound doesn't work for the TV, but if the system is 'on' (DVD) it will pipe and amplify the TV sound thru the surround system, without using the center front speaker (I think).

I have used mine several times to amplify broadcast TV sound to hear it above the noisy microwave fan.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Why not just ripp out the DHS toy and put in a better stereo amp like a Rockford Fosgate unit and push the TV/DVD through it instead, then whola...miracle sound!!

The last time I went to purchase a stereo for my house and realized how bad a typical surround sound is, I decided to get back to basics and stop playing around. Give me good strong high quality sound over surround sound any day and I'm happy but that's just me.
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #43
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Jhanan asked if anyone has replaced the sound system. We bought a 35U Suncruiser new in 2000. It had the "enhanced" sound system, so I didn't even check it out until we got it home.

I admit that I'm a little OCD and an electrical engineer with electrical acoustics background, but the first thing I did was to dump the original system. I put in "normal" home type electronics including a receiver/amp, decent TV with in/out jacks, a DVD player, and since I had it lying around a good bass amplifier and 12" subwoofer. This did require another 300 watt inverter, which was a little expensive, but the overall cost was under $500.

We also have a tracking satellite dish and don't use "remodulated" video as the original equipment did. So, for the time (8 years ago) it was an ok system. This did require a couple of days to pull everything out and put in the new stuff, but has been well worth it.

I would say that if you plan to keep the coach a long time and have the inclination, such a mod is well worth it. Of course, today we would use a flat panal (LCD) TV and go to HDTV, but the audio could remain the same. It is real 5.1 for all sources, can be controlled in all aspects and has good bass.

If anyone wants more detail, let me know. Happy hollidays.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bsellers:
For what it's worth, my surround sound system won't work with the TV. It will only work through the DVD player, meaning only when you watch a DVD do you have surround sound. My system also works with the radio. They told me during my PDI the surround sound system would not work while watching "normal" TV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine was setup that way in when I got the rig too, but it can be corrected...with a switch box. I put in an "auto" switching w/remote switch box 1st, then changed it with a manual switch box since we had issues while going down the road.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Dirk - agree. If I take the replacement plung, then it will be both surround and HDTV and HTPC (BeyondTV). I have extensive home systems...and when the economy takes a turn for the better, I will start the upgrading. Right now, I did finally get a new DVD, PS2, standard DirecTV, and stock surround all working happily together thanks to posts from a number of forums like the one about needing the stereo POT.

Jeff