Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2021, 09:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Mounting GPS in a Class A

There have been some posts in the best GPS but I haven't seen anything on mounting a GPS. We have a Sunstar 29VE Class A. Currently I am using my cell phone with RV Trip Wizard and have a suction mount on the side window. It's ok but a larger screen would be nice. However, using a suction cup on the front window would minimize the benefits on getting a larger screen.

Where have you mounted your GPS?

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I used these adhesive disks, cleaned the dash with strong cleaner first and they have stayed in place for over a year now. Then used the suction mount that came with the Garmin RV890. I have it positioned so that it rests on the dash to support the weight, stuck a little piece of the fuzzy side of velcro on the bottom of the GPS for padding. Works just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4086.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	180921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture disk.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	180922  

Old 09-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I like the idea of supporting the weight. I've found that the suction cups don't always hold to the disks on sloped or vertical surfaces.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We like using the bean bag if the dash slope is right as it gives some flexible use.
One place we like it quick and easy to pick up and move is if we are rolling and suddenly want to locate something like a stop for food, so that the passenger can easily pick it off from in front of the driver and they do the input and searching rather than the driver risking it. Driver just hands it over and back with little distraction.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
We like using the bean bag if the dash slope is right as it gives some flexible use.
One place we like it quick and easy to pick up and move is if we are rolling and suddenly want to locate something like a stop for food, so that the passenger can easily pick it off from in front of the driver and they do the input and searching rather than the driver risking it. Driver just hands it over and back with little distraction.
One of the features of the RV890 is voice commands which oddly enough work very well. I use it a lot for finding gas stations and rest areas. We’re always stopped for a break when hunting for a campground for the night, but they’re in there too.
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Hmm. The bean bag doesn't slide around?
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
I used these adhesive disks, cleaned the dash with strong cleaner first and they have stayed in place for over a year now. Then used the suction mount that came with the Garmin RV890.
Thanks for the suggestion and the picture. It looks like your dash layout is the same as mine, so I can see how to set it up.

I sse the TPMS also mounted on the dash. Do you use the same suction for your TPMS?
Old 09-26-2021, 07:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marudnick View Post
Thanks for the suggestion and the picture. It looks like your dash layout is the same as mine, so I can see how to set it up.

I sse the TPMS also mounted on the dash. Do you use the same suction for your TPMS?

Trying to remember,,, I don't recall buying anything extra for the TPMS. I may have just 3M double stick taped it to the dash since the dash is more curved there and it hardly weighs anything. It's been there for about three years and never moved yet. The cell phone magnet mount below had sticky tape to mount it and was easily bent to match the curve of the dash. My phone rides there just fine. All have been in place for quite a while now without any problem. Cleaning the surface well is the trick I guess.

Side note, the Garmin RV890 unit is held to the dash mount magnetically, power is fed to the unit through contacts in the mount so the device pulls off the mount easily if you want to hold it. I pull it off to connect to the laptop for updates, otherwise I just use the voice commands. The mount also has a power feed for the Garmin dash cam which is pretty handy too. We got a dash cam last fall. The Garmin Drive app for the phone provides real time traffic, road, and weather info to the GPS via Bluetooth, and accesses the dash cam too. It's a nice package and supports multiple dash cams.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by marudnick View Post
Hmm. The bean bag doesn't slide around?
Thanks for the suggestion.
The shape of the dash is important but the reason for using different methods will also vary because of the how we might each use them. When we had a dash with too much slope, I added a metal disk to the bean bag bottom and a metal disc to the dash to help it stay in place but still be able to move easily.

We do not full time and want to use a single GPS in the tow car and the RV. Using the RV when moving sites and then picking up the same GPS to use in the car when looking around works for us as I often plan the next day, using the GPS while set up in a campsite. That lets me input the stops, look at distance and times and have it all set into the GPS, when we use the car the next morning.

We did not like a suction cup mount as it would not work on our dashes, either car or RV as they both have the pebble surface and sticking it to the windshield was very hard due to the distance from the driver's seat.

Voice command has not been good on any of our GPS as it tends to not understand me at all! When asking about things like " fast food near me" I get responses like "did you mean Fast Willey's in Boston?" ! Way too often to make it usable.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have a disk like what thompwil posted, it was already there when I bought the MH and is still stuck in place pretty well. The Garmin suction mount stays on very well, but my drivesmart 51 is tiny compared to the one pictured.

My EezTire monitor I stick to the driver side window where it's out of the way but still easily viewable. I've found that once it's fully charged it's good for a really long time, so no real need to keep it plugged in while driving.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

www.rammounts.com

I use RAM Mounts. They have a variety of mounts for different models of GPS. They use a ball & socket arm system which is very stable. In my old pick up I used a bean bag with the RAM Mount velcroed on. When I was surveying I used a RAM Mount that attached to the rearview mirror mount. in the motorhome I screwed the base to the top of the dash. Using a couple of arms I can easily move it so DW can access it. The arms do come in several lengths including one that was about 3 foot long and flexible, that one did bounce around more.
I bought a Garmin RV 770 but RAM Mount does not make a mount for that model GPS. So I bought one of their cell phone mounts and it works well for the Garmin. I use the same set up in the toad.
Attached Images

RVBobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I've mounted in my RV660 in my Forza that was recently traded in for my recent coach in which I mounted my RV1090. Both required me removing the radio but wasn't to bad and love the fact it's solid on my dash while we're driving. The bottom one has the RV1090 even though the coach came with a Garmin installed. I even updated it but I didn't like how it worked and my wife couldn't see it to help out in busy traffic. No with the 10" screen and in a position both of us can now see it, it works great for us. Of course as mentioned it all depends on your dash shape and where you want it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201115_153814.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	180988  
Attached Images

1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I use this model in two of our vehicles. It's moldable to the contour of the dash and has a non slip surface that stays in place very well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-01...Mount/15135097
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gps