Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Internet from Satellite Dish?

So we just purchased a 2015 class itasca. It is equipped with the satellite dish on the roof and all the boxs and entertainment stuff inside. Can we use the existing satellite dish for and internet antenna? And if so will it work wherever we decide to travel?
Deppe family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
more information is needed..make/model of dish and inside equipment but n general the rooftop dish is likely sat. tv only...DirecTV, Dish Network or, if the owners who did the install were canadians, Shaw Sat TV. you'll need to confirm which service provider the equipment is for, if the 6-yr old equipment is still supported by the provider and, assuming it is, open an account. generally, rooftop sat tv can be accessed anywhere in the US where you have a clear view (no trees, buildings or other obstructions) of the southern sky. if the equipment is Shaw you'll need a Canadian address to make that work but i believe Shaw has also reduced programming in the USA.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

The satellite is Dish. I know the satellite TV will pretty much work anywhere. I was more curious as to if the coach and the satellite dish and service would receive and transmit internet.
Deppe family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
likely not.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:07 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Definitely not, if it is 6 years old.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Why not? Ours is older than that and works fine with Dish.

OK, never mind, not the internet.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:05 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Dish doesn't even provide it's own Internet service but partners with other Internet providers to be able to provide bundled service. Most use cell, cable or phone lines for Internet service. Hughes users satellite but has a different antenna system.
https://www.dish.com/internet/
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #8
Site Team

Your Satellite dish is for TV only. There is no way to receive internet on that device. Satellite internet would require totally different equipment and has mostly proven to not be a viable solution for mobile RV use.

The new Starlink SAT Internet product currently in beta is at this time not set up for mobile use and requires totally diffiertent equpiment

The answer to your question is no, absolutely not possible… and never has been. Most RVers get their internet from Cellular Broadband devices and cell phones or campground WiFi.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
more information is needed..make/model of dish and inside equipment but n general the rooftop dish is likely sat. tv only...DirecTV, Dish Network or, if the owners who did the install were canadians, Shaw Sat TV. you'll need to confirm which service provider the equipment is for, if the 6-yr old equipment is still supported by the provider and, assuming it is, open an account. generally, rooftop sat tv can be accessed anywhere in the US where you have a clear view (no trees, buildings or other obstructions) of the southern sky. if the equipment is Shaw you'll need a Canadian address to make that work but i believe Shaw has also reduced programming in the USA.
The TV entertainment sat dish only has a 3 degree focus. So it would not gather enough signal from other satellites/ ground sources. But in future the dish manufacturers might offer new software/ models that would could be programmed to focus on StarSat internet satellites OR Dish satellites… but very unlikely sat dishes will do both.
Radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deppe family View Post
The satellite is Dish. I know the satellite TV will pretty much work anywhere. I was more curious as to if the coach and the satellite dish and service would receive and transmit internet.

Almost certainly not. It's a completely different technology. I recommend one of the inexpensive, unlimited, never-throttled $99/month plans you can find on ebay, with a Netgear Nighthawk 5g router and AT&T service.

The router was around $500, but I get 5G data anywhere AT&T can be accessed, and my speeds range from 30-130 mbps download. That's almost as fast as cable internet! The unlimited (ACTUAL) data allows me to stream shows 24/7 if I wish, and we operate another half-dozen devices with no problems. If you're curious, message me privately and I'll link you to the provider I use.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite