Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-28-2024, 04:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

GPS Recommendations for 2022 Forza 36H

Hello all, I almost forgot about a GPS unit for our coach . I need some recommendations on a stand alone GPS System before we venture out. Are there any units that better than others? I've never had a GPS System before.
Snipechief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 05:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Not sure why you specifically asked about stand alone systems, but I have gone from one of those (Garmin) to now using exclusively the Google maps function on my mobile phone. Depending on your coach, you can Bluetooth it right from your phone to the coach's display if desired, or simply mount the phone in one of several available dash mounted holders. Today's smartphones are incredibly intuitive and easy to use, and the map function is very reliable. And the maps are constantly updated and usually more accurate than the stand alones, which require manual updates.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 06:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
Not sure why you specifically asked about stand alone systems, but I have gone from one of those (Garmin) to now using exclusively the Google maps function on my mobile phone. Depending on your coach, you can Bluetooth it right from your phone to the coach's display if desired, or simply mount the phone in one of several available dash mounted holders. Today's smartphones are incredibly intuitive and easy to use, and the map function is very reliable. And the maps are constantly updated and usually more accurate than the stand alones, which require manual updates.
I don't understand why you question me about a stand alone unit that I can use in multiple vehicles. I can't stand using my phone for gps. It's small, my fingers are large and I don't like fiddling with it while I drive and the screen is small, and my information center will not Bluetooth to my phone for maps.
Now do you have a recommendation for what I have asked information on. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipechief View Post
I don't understand why you question me about a stand alone unit that I can use in multiple vehicles. I can't stand using my phone for gps. It's small, my fingers are large and I don't like fiddling with it while I drive and the screen is small, and my information center will not Bluetooth to my phone for maps.
Sorry if you think I was questioning you, as I was only giving my perspective on what we use and feel is best. I haven't used a stand alone in many years so I can offer no help.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 06:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ok, thanks
Old 01-28-2024, 06:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have the Garmin 10 inch screen. We had a lot of experience with Garmin on our boat. Very good product.
I don't know how good your space is but if you can, I would go with the 10 inch model. Simple to operate and lots of rv features since it's made for the rv world. And I can see it while driving !
Old 01-28-2024, 06:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info. I was also thinking the 10" would be better than the 7" screen.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:53 AM   #8
Site Team

Doesn’t the 2022 Winnebago Forza 36H come with built in NavNGo GPS in the dash infotainment system? Previous models did I believe.

Hummm, I just checked your Operator’s Manual and see a surprising listing for “Radio”. It says the radio is chassis supplied and gives no information about what this might be. Previous models came with large 10” screens and a complete Xite Infotainment system including GPS.

To get more info I looked at your 2022 Forza brochure… but there is not one photo of your dashboard. That’s unusual most motorhome brochures alway include a dash photo and talk about the infotainment system.

Sorry I can’t be more help.

I do agree the Garmin RV units are quite good.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Talking

Thank you Sir for pushing me in the right direction and saving me some money.
I had read that the forza came with android auto but I just didn't see how to connect it.
I finally found the USB setting, and from there once I plugged the USB cable to my android phone and the USB tether in the bus I got the maps working. Holy cow this is awesome. Thank you again for the help. Now maybe I can relax.
You can't see me , but I've got a big grin on my mug. Cheers! :-)>
Old 01-28-2024, 08:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We have a stand-alone Garmin RV specific GPS, with built in dash cam. I also use the friction mount GARMIN PART NUMBER010-11280-02 so I can keep the unit close enough to touch when driving. If you suction cup it to the window you can't get to it... The Garmin units are great in that they let you enter the details for your rig, and it will prevent you from getting on a road or into an area you will have trouble with. They are very good, but not foolproof. Ours has made bad suggestions on very rare occasions, but it did happen. We run our phone in parallel because Garmin, even with traffic, isn't great for traffic and emergency alerts.

They make 2 friction mounts, I've owned both, and would choose the one above. It works amazingly well.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Like IOS 3, we have a Garmin RV friendly unit (the 785.) And we've observed the same pros & cons about ours that they mention in regards to theirs.

Phone based apps are really good as well, even more so if you have Android Auto or Car Play. Much less fidgeting with the phone. They have their wrinkle too of course - usually no cell signal means no map. Sure, you generally have the option of downloading a route locally to the phone. But I usually remember that feature after I lose signal...

Having both is how we generally roll these days, but I don't think it's necessary to go after both right out of the gate. Particularly since it seems you've discovered some features inherent to your rig - run what you have for now maybe? You can always add on later.

Couple of other bits in regards to our Garmin - ours came with a power cord that has a built-in traffic receiver that's pretty accurate.

And while the RV friendly routing is a nice feature. it only works if you remember to program in your rig specs, and also remember to tell the unit when you're using your rig.

Occasionally ours balks at an address, so Garmin also a companion phone app. Ideally you can send an address from the app straight to the GPS unit. But the app is kind of quirky. It also tends to pair your phone to the GPS unit for calls and texts. Even if you don't want it to. And then it winds up fighting with the car stereo for who gets to talk to the phone. Because of that I generally don't use the app. Who knows - maybe it's been updated to behave better.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

^^^^^^ Great information. Thanks.
That's the same unit I was considering. For now the Android Auto will work.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Garmin RV is the best. That said, ours was stolen a while back and I didn't want to put out a few hundred $ for a new one. Ohrex was advertised and on sale for like $50 at holiday time and I decided to give it a shot. Side by side with the smaller Garmin I keep in my car, it took me to the same place via the same route. It has the capacity to set up profiles as in, one for the car, one for the truck and trailer with length and number of axles and height and width and weight. It seems to have all the spots accessible if not as convenient as the Garmin. Our brand new Winnebago 3235RL has been in the shop since before the holidays so I haven't been able to try it towing but as I have used it, I've been pleased.
kvmllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 05:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Check out the Garmin 795
jbayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

I also go for a stand alone that can be used many places and also replaced when things go obsolete!
I am upset that Garmin has cut back so radically on updates for my GPS but I would be far more upset if it was a permanent part of my car!
In the parts of the world I drive the cell phone mapping is no good once off the highways!
I like to hide out down in hollows next to the river or lake where cell service is not likely and the last few miles are what I need help with the most!
Think Buffalo River in Arkansas?

But I also do not fully recommend Garmin as I once would have as they have almost stopped doing updates for what I need.

The Drive Smart 65 is good enough unit and does lots of good things but also programmed by folks who were more thrilled with showing what they could do than actually doing anything the user needed!
A vast number of driver alerts for stuff that most do not want? Alerting me to school zones or traffic cameras is not helpful when school is not open?
It works but they need to update far more often or more completely as we have a new intersection called a "displaced left turn" that is now something like two years old and not updated yet!
But, in their defense? Google Maps has also not got it figured out yet. I've tried to update using the Google update feature but it is not built to do what is needed!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 02:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

GPS

Quote:
Hello all, I almost forgot about a GPS unit for our coach . I need some recommendations on a stand alone GPS System before we venture out. Are there any units that better than others? I've never had a GPS System before.

I use the RV GPS from Garmin in our Forza. It updates automatically. Is specifically for RVers. You put your height and length into it and it will let you know if there’s an issue on your route. It pulls up RV parks that are on your route as well fuel stops. We have had ours for 4 years and have never had a problem. I saw others saying “use your phone”. I like the size of the screen and the RV specific info I get. If I have a question, I’ll look at my phone, but we’ve been out west where there wasn’t any cell service and my Garmin gave me the info I needed with out fail. It also will let you know what the traffic is on your route.
Safe Travels,

John

2019 Forza 36G currently
Flat tow a ‘21 Ford Bronco.
GotUr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:14 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

In the thicker parts of the country, cell service is now pretty well assumed to be there but there are tons of places where cell service is no good.
The difference is that cell service mostly comes off towers and they build out the towers where they can sell the most service. When I REALLY, REALLY, want GPS service is when there is nobody around to ask!
The GPS comes from a set of satellites and set up so that there are several in sight in the sky at all times.
No perfect system, so I use both and it does help to cross check GPS or cell advise at times. Both tend to lean toward folks who I assume have to be paying to get their listing.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:52 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I've had many Garmin units, still have 5 that might function, and have destroyed 3 of them. My newest are old Nuvi 2555 and 2597 I believe and they don't have enough memory to download maps. I think an USB chip can be added but haven't done so yet. I'm a huge Garmin fan but am gravitating to Android Auto.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:52 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

We tried to set up Android auto on our current car but was not able and then things changed and we are tole it is no longer an option on it.
One of the bigger problems with the android is that we can't take it with us when we want to rent a car. That is one of the advantages we find of having a portable unit as we can easily pluck it off the dash using a bean bag and swap it into any other borrowed, company truck, or rental.
It would be a nightmare for me to start with any builtin system and then not be able to swap it to some other vehicle when changing.
When visiting family, we often wind up using one of their cars for short trips like a run to get groceries and if not able to swap our GPS into their car, we would have to learn a new system and maybe never use it again.
The way my mind works, it may take six months to get used to a new GPS, so sticking with one is vital!
Old 03-18-2024, 06:12 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

At some point I've owned one of nearly all GPS units. When my last 2 Rand McNally units were declared obsolete by RM and would not honor their lifetime maps statement; 3 years is the RM lifetime, I bought a cheap $60 OHREX 7" trucker GPS off Amazon. It has been completely accurate every time we've used the unit. It has map updates for $25 ea. but the initial cost is so low, I'll not bother with an update that comes on an SD card, I'll just buy a new GPS instead.
It's a little clunky conpared to a Garmin but the low price makes it worthwhile IMO.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps