Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2023, 07:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Advice wanted to replace XCITE in 2015 ERA 70X

I just bought a 2015 Era 70X and am not happy with the infotainment system. I'm looking for advice on a replacement unit that will use the backup camera lines and offer Android Auto. Please offer approximate upgrade costs, too.

Thanks!
CJM Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 09:48 AM   #2
Site Team

What's wrong with the Xite system? Many owners find it too technical to update it regularly and so it's prone to failures as a result.

Since you've just purchased your Via, do you have any idea if it's been updated, at all, ever?

Updating requires downloading the RAND DOCK program to a PC, taking the SD card from the Xite monitor and inserting it into a SD card reader on an internet connected PC.

Before Rand McNally went broke and then sold twice in a year they made changes and updates often and free - but the new owners have abandoned RVs in favor of OTR Truckers. There was one last update a little over a year ago.

Many times the updates included software updates, too. Not just map updates.

Look for your info in this Legacy Support section:

https://www.xsna.ca/legacy-support.html
Old 07-27-2023, 11:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for your suggestion! I don't know whether the existing XITE system has ever been updated, and frankly hadn't realized that there was a removable SD card in the device until your comment. I will try to update it. The navigation system does seem very out of date so that may help. However, we are accustomed to using Google Maps and Waze, both of which give us near real time info on traffic conditions. We use Android Auto in our cars which gives us the ability to use either Google Maps or Waze, plus allows hands-free texting and phone calls.

The rear camera view in the XITE system is also poor, in our opinion. I don't know how much of that is due to the camera and how much the screen. It is also very erratic and frequently will report "no video" when we haven't touched the controls.

Perhaps we just don't understand the XITE system. We didn't get a manual and what I've found online haven't helped me.

Do the problems I describe sound like "user error?"
CJM Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 01:01 PM   #4
Site Team

The problem will be figuring out what a replacement unit is - there is not a tremendous number of Via owners that have completed this replacement and documented it.

Never say never, someone could show up here with direct knowledge about what you need.

For the rest of us, we'd need to know exactly what model Xite system you have to know about what fits in that space. And, then the camera connections are another thing to figure out as well.

I always recommend people take their RV, if possible, to an auto sound system installer. Those folks can look it it, remove it, figure what's needed and install it.

Another choice is to call Crutchfield. They specialize in this kind of thing over the phone, but I tend to think when it comes to RVs and Xite they might not be fully up to speed.

RV dealerships are probably the worst place to get this kind of work done. So, I'd never suggest going that route and Winnebago will be of no help either. It's not their kind of service.

Best of luck - oh, and do some checking on www.irv2.com as well. There are vastly more folks there with all kinds of RVs and those Xite systems were sold to many different manufacturers.

Tags
ace, advice, replace