Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-07-2022, 03:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Airbags won't inflate 2005 Journey 39K

Hello everyone,

Gained a lot of information from the forums here but I'm stuck on this one.
A couple of months ago, we started out on about a 2500 mile trip and the airbags would not inflate. After reading, looking, etc, we finally found the button to push underneath the coach and the bags filled up just fine.

At our first stop, we let the air out and lowered the jacks, all is well. When we got ready to go the next day, again, the airbags would not air up. They continue to work just fine if you crawl underneath and push the magic button.

I would like to know what initiates the airbag inflation sequence. The jacks are HWH. Does the HWY control panel send a signal to the valve, or is it something else?
I'm trying to decide where to start the search to find a way not to have to crawl under the coach each time we want to move.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I can not help you with the airbag inflation sequence. But I would be very interested in the "magic button" location.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Be Happy,
I'll get a photo for you next time I have a chance,
Meantime, anyone know where the signal to inflate comes from?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2022, 10:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would give Stuarts in Elkhart a call, 1-800-826-6267, he is an HWH Service center, or call HWH direct, or call AZPete, at 602-549-3638, one of them will be able to tell you if there is a connection from the HWH controls, and there must be.

Please let us know what you find out, this will be good information for the future.
Old 09-18-2022, 04:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Duane,
Since yours is the Journey model, I suspect you have the HWH 325 system, (just an assumption) correct? If so, it's the little brother to our HWH 625 Computer Controlled Automatic Leveling System. In either case, yes, the HWH command panel will trigger that automatic filling of the bags when you hit the *Store* button. It could be something as simple as bad connection on the underside of that control panel. Or maybe a connection from the underside of the HWH panel to the solenoids that control deflate and inflate under the coach. Those you already know about.

I've owned our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP now for well over 10 years and these "Inflate and deflate* under carriage solenoids and buttons are news to me. I'll have to slide my over sized body under ours and find them. Based on the pics I dug up, it appears they may be near my ABS control valves which are either directly above or slightly in front of or behind the front axle.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

following..
Old 09-18-2022, 10:05 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I am following also, this "magic button" is news to me after having owned our 04 Journey 39K for 12 yrs.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Sorry for the trouble you are having, I would also like to know where the Magic button is as I have an 04 Journey. I would call HWH, They have been Very helpful to me on the road in the past. Great company!
Rgrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I'd like to know there the button is too

I found the attached drawing. Any help????

D12-20354_________A_.001.PDF
Nalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

The first step is accurately identifying your HWH hydraulic leveling system.Once we know the model # we can proceed.
A common thing is, there a number of blade fuses on the control box. Insure they are all good. My control box just lies on the floor in front of my left foot way back under the dash.
Control box design and the plug on the back of the control panel are two specific system identifiers.

Armed with your model #, you may download the appropriate HWH online technicial school to better understand the system.

Add-on; Some time ago it cost me $150 service call just so the tech could show me that if I dump air then shut down the system, it "forgets" the sequence. He told me to turn on the key, initiate the auto-level function and allow it to complete the cycle.
When that completes and jacks are stored, the system "remembers' again and inflates the air springs as designed.
The dump air signal is just that, it does not close the dump valve, another signal closes the valve.

Air spring control is not designed by HWH, it is a coach mfgr function, so the two systems operate together.
That is how my HWH 610 central-ground leveling system works anyway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for the helpful replies.
I promise that I will get pictures of this "magic button" for everyone.
An earlier post was correct in that it is located just behind the front axle about middle way under the coach.
There are two gadgets under there that look about the same. Both have a little white button in the middle. One of the buttons will dump the air, the other one will initiate the air up process.

I have checked all the fuses in the control box and they are all good. I'm leaning toward a loose connection on the control panel or a bad panel.
I will update when I know for sure and will post pictures of the manual buttons underneath the coach.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Fire Up is correct. The system is HWH 325. This system doesn't have the "auto level" feature so I can't run through the process you mention. I do feel like though it may have something to do with forgetting what it is supposed to do.
Again, thanks for all the replies.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Have you called any of the people that were suggested, they really will help if they can
Old 09-20-2022, 05:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

HWH 325 series service manual,
pg 9 addrersses the dump valve(s). If HWH supplied dump valves there will be one at each wheel. If W supplied the pilot dump valve, there is only one.
By the way you described the dump valve, it is sticking open and the button closes the valve.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Ray, Thanks very much for that manual, I haven't had time to use it yet but I think it will be very useful.

Tags
journey