Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005 Journey Chassis Air

Hey all,

New to the forum, and new to the rv world. We just purchased a 2005 Journey 36' diesel. One issue I can't figure out is my rear chassis air. The gauge is dead. Doesn't come off the peg. However, I am getting no alarm, or info center warning. I have a gauge in the generator compartment up front with the air chuck, but is there a similar gauge in the rear? Are there truly two independent systems? In the chassis manual, it says that the front air operates the rear brakes, and vise versa.

Any help is appreciated.
jonnshell30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:22 PM   #2

Since you have a 2005 your instruments are driven by an MMDC and not a VDC which was replaced in 2004 late model Winnebago's. That said, you might have a bad ground problem.

On attempt to fix it might be to add a ground wire to your Medallion instrument cluster, even though it's a shot in the dark it maybe a good starting point.

FYI, that air chuck up front is there for convenience, to run your air tools or bicycle pump, but it can leak. Or not? I spay mine with WD-40 and then some lubricating oil... but if it's leaking you would hear it or feel it. Do you hear any air leaking or can you feel any air leaking out?

Does your air suspension system work properly?

Do your other instrument gauges work properly?

I would look around your air dryer for leaks or a constant purging of air.

This is not my area of expertise, but if your suspension is normal I would think you have a gauge problem. This is why I suggest you start by adding a ground wire to your MMDC and if that does not work, hopefully someone else will chime in and point you in the right direction.

The MMDC works like my VDC only I hear it's located under your dash. (My VDC is located by the engine where there is more heat and vibration.) You should be able to identify your MMDC by tracing your red and green air lines under your dash. And I'm told the MMDC performs the same functions as the VDC so "cold solder joints" could be your problem.

This thread applies to pre 2004.5 Winnebago's with a VDC, but it may help you if your MMDC is also failing:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...dl-357366.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Message Center Schematic (Dash Gauges).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	175900  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Its easy to get to the rear of the gagues just 8 screws hold on the plastic dash cover
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

OK. I have found the Blue Line and where it connects. I will replace it today. AS for the Air Gauge, FL gave me the passcode to get into the diagnostic page, adn test the gauges. The rear air gauge does not "sweep" so it is confirmed dead. I will remove the dash bezel today and check the wiring, and see if the buzzer is indeed disconnected.
Thanks all! More to come!
Old 11-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Got the instrument enclosure removed and swapped the connectors on the air gauges. Confirmed bad gauge. Also found that the audible alarm had a pin detached from the rear of the connector. Reinserted and buzzer now works! Now the task of finding the gauge. Will call Freightliner tomorrow and have already emailed Medallion. We'll see.

Next step is to get the dash AC vacuum blue line replaced. At least the pump goes off when defrost is selected.

Thanks all for the help. Have a wonderful Christmas season
Old 11-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #6

jonnshell30: Do you have 1 multi-gauge with lots of mini-gauges in it? (See picture below.)

This is the type of gauge I have in my Itasca Horizon and FL said it would cost $1400 to replace the whole gauge since individual gauges are not replaceable.

As things turned out, my low air gauge complaint got resolved when I repaired my VDC's "cold soldier" joints, and re-glued the VDC case seal; so I never pursued trying to get my gauge fixed.

If you take your gauge to a repair shop, please let us know what it costs to repair your air gauge? ...And please upload a pictures on where your MMDC is located along with your gauges. Thx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200814_122348.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	176046  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, journey