Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Vintage Rigs - Retro is cool!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-02-2023, 06:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Insurance Issues for Vintage RV's in Canada

We have a vintage 1993 year but 1994 model Winnebago Itasca Sunrise 23RC, they are rare and we looked for more than a year to find her. Both the Sunrise and the Brave models of that length get snapped up right away if they are in good shape and ours is in great condition and almost all original save the floor which is newer vinyl. Still have the blue shag in the front cab area. Have been known to play Donna Summer very loud and run a disco ball on occasion too.
We were able to insure it with the basic liability insurance needed to go on the road, but there was no coverage for theft, fire, vandalism etc. Hub is our insurer and they don't offer this coverage. I have be unable to find another company in Canada, that does. We are based in Montreal, Quebec which as most Canadians know also has its own "special" hoops to jump through with most things, insurance being one of them.
But if anyone has a suggestion on who I can contact please let me know. I have tried the Vintage car insurance companies but they don't cover motorhomes.
As always, safe travels!
Brian & Heike
Old 06-02-2023, 09:23 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Brian & Heike,
You have liability insurance, and that is all you want for a 30 year-old motorhome. You buy insurance to guard against a potential loss for which you cannot pay. Only a liability claim against you could be hundreds of thousands, and yes for that you do need insurance.
Instead, take the money you think you might have paid for comprehensive and collision, and put that into a savings account to pay for those things as they come-up. I bet you will find you will be money ahead!
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 06-02-2023, 10:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I tend to differ on older RV when compared to older cars.
Older cars are often just a matter of loss and not much value after a minor incident.
But when I look at all the really expensive items that can get broken on an RV, I change my plan for insurance.

Example? A side window on a 2015 Vista was going to be $700 for the part and total $1200 installed! I have not priced a full windsheild but might expect it to be pricey.
So how many rock chips in the front window can we get by on safety inspections before we have to bite the bullet and cough up for a new windshield?

Depends on how backward the area! Texas is nowdropping safety inspections on vehicles but most states will be keeping them so that means a single little chunk of rock can make the insurance pay for itself!

A small fire in the back of a 2015 Honda, I bite the bullet and take the loss. A small fire in the back of a motorhome, I let the insurance handle it as I want no part of that price!

Just a personal choice with no really firm answer!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:23 PM   #4
1996 Itasca 29Q

Have you tried the Canadian Automobile Association?
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 02:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobn1957 View Post
Have you tried the Canadian Automobile Association?
Thanks Bob!
We willl check out CAA here in Montreal tomorrow and see what they say. Used to be with them when I lived on the "Left Coast" for 20+ years. We have such fond memories of crusing all over BC and the Island in our fully loaded Westfalia. Great fishing and camping and of course West Coast hospitality! Will drop you a note when we get an answer.
Old 06-13-2023, 03:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Also try Dejardins we have full coverage on our 1987 Itasca through them.
robl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 04:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Rob!
Thanks for the advice, we will also check out Desjardins! Love your Itasca!! Great shape and almost the same layout as ours.. Cheers! Miss my times at the Edmonton Fringe!
Brian
Old 06-13-2023, 05:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Your welcome Brian - Thanks for the like!
robl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada