Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Vintage Rigs - Retro is cool!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2022, 10:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

1998 Winnebago Minnie 32WM Restoration

This thread is dedicated to my Minnie's restoration. Purchased on the last day of January 2022 with known water damage and still leaking, I intend to repair and restore "Gertrude" to her former glory, at least mechanically and interior wise. I may or may not decide to make Gertrude pretty on the outside. We shall see.

Gertrude has the Ford Super Duty chassis which is the name given to the E-450 in 1998. She has the V-10 engine which is something I wanted in a gas MH.

Gertrude has 58K miles presently and runs very nicely. Engine and transmission seem to be in excellent condition. Front brakes are shot and I will replace the rotors and calipers before putting her on the road. Rear rotors look pretty good.

She has new rubber. Went from the bank one mile to the tire place where I had already arranged for six new tires. What was on there were dangerous.

I started the process of the restoration today (technically yesterday as it is now 12:03 am here in North Carolina), tearing out some of the previous repair attempt in the cab over area. That is the worst of the water damage, and the shower and skylight above being next. It will be a complete rebuild of the cab over and will probably redesign what Winnebago did. That design is not a great effort IMO.

I started an album with some pictures:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...albums440.html

My original first thread in the introductory section:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...wm-363298.html

And a Picture of Gertrude a couple hours after purchase with her new rubber:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...cture2670.html
BarryLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restoration, winnebago