Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My roof has been a mess from day one since I purchased it and it has been driving me crazy. My dealer (no Name mentioned) never took care of it while it was on his lot for over a year and If I had seen the condition of it before I signed,I would of walked away from the deal, but way too late for that, thats another story in itself.
I found a product called Poli Glo and wanted to share it with you folks. It is one of a very few products that I have run across in my lifetime that actually works. I have spent the last two weekends scrubbing my roof back to white using the Poli Glo Prep, scrub pad and 600 grit sandpaper. Total preparation is the key to this product. This past weekend I began applying thin coats of Poli Glo with results that make the roof look brand new again. The finish came back to life with smooth even results. The first two coats didn't look good,but the instructions tell you they will be streaky. The more coats you put on the better it is looks. They suggest 4-5 Coats. It is not a wax or polish, it is applied like paint with the applicator they send you. It needs no maintenace other than washing with soap and water and is supposed to help keep the stains out.
I know some of you are saying "now is a great time to fall off the roof with the shine you put on it". I have always walked on my roof with disposable protective shoe covers (The kind surgeons wear in surgery) and they have grips on the bottom so it is not an issue for me. Just thought someone out there with my same problem would like to know.It WORKS!I am one Happy Camper
www.poliglow-int.com
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My roof has been a mess from day one since I purchased it and it has been driving me crazy. My dealer (no Name mentioned) never took care of it while it was on his lot for over a year and If I had seen the condition of it before I signed,I would of walked away from the deal, but way too late for that, thats another story in itself.
I found a product called Poli Glo and wanted to share it with you folks. It is one of a very few products that I have run across in my lifetime that actually works. I have spent the last two weekends scrubbing my roof back to white using the Poli Glo Prep, scrub pad and 600 grit sandpaper. Total preparation is the key to this product. This past weekend I began applying thin coats of Poli Glo with results that make the roof look brand new again. The finish came back to life with smooth even results. The first two coats didn't look good,but the instructions tell you they will be streaky. The more coats you put on the better it is looks. They suggest 4-5 Coats. It is not a wax or polish, it is applied like paint with the applicator they send you. It needs no maintenace other than washing with soap and water and is supposed to help keep the stains out.
I know some of you are saying "now is a great time to fall off the roof with the shine you put on it". I have always walked on my roof with disposable protective shoe covers (The kind surgeons wear in surgery) and they have grips on the bottom so it is not an issue for me. Just thought someone out there with my same problem would like to know.It WORKS!I am one Happy Camper
www.poliglow-int.com
Old 06-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
KCE
Winnebago Owner

Many people have suggested these kinds of products in the past and believe me I hope yours works as advertised but I just have one question. Does it begin to peel after a few months-years or does it just wear away slowly and have to be re-applied. Peeling I don't want!.... slowly wearing away is eaiser to deal with. Thanks
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ken,
I have talked to the owner (he will gladly explain any questions you might have)and I believe it will just wear well. I am like you, the last thing I want is peeling, but just in case it did peel, the scrub brush that is supplied and the Poli Prep solution will remove it back to where you started. The key to the success of this job as with any other is to do the proper prep work thoroughly,then apply the finish coats, in this case 4-5 light coats.
I keep my coach in an inside storage facility and right now I don't use it that much due to my wife and I still working etc so I believe in my case it will last for years with proper cleaning and maintenance.It also says you will not have to wax or polish it. The directions say you might want to give it another light coat or two before each season afetr washing. On appearances it looks like the origional finish should look only better in my opinion. If it will hold up on a boat as this is advertised for along with Rv's,I believe it will hold up much longer on a RV.
I had a 2002 Horizon and the roof never looked this good. Right now I am sold on this Product. I will keep this forum updated If I learn different.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob O:
My roof has been a mess from day one since I purchased it and it has been driving me crazy.--snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bob - exactly what was the problem with the roof

My roof is ugly, but the primary consideration for me is that it doesn't leak.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

John,
The roof was totally abused and not one thing was done to it by the dealer the year or so they had it in their possesion, so along came severe staining, mildew,tree sap,bird doop,you name it, and no mater what they did (which was little to nothing)helped it. I tried everything known to me as a proper cleaner, and the more I cleaned it the more the roof began to loose it's luster. All the Sldeout covers were also trashed due to neglect from the dealer and those went in the trash can, with no help for them at all. Winnebago doesn't cover dealer abuse or neglect due to their negligence even though this unit was bought new, by us, never titled until we came along. Our saving grace was Bryan from Winnebago who I can't say enough good about (the guy qualifies for Sainthood in my book). Unfortunately for my wife and I we were the ignorant ones who came along and bought this (or should I say took it off their hands) from the dealer. What's that saying? Buyer Beware. We learned more the last two years than we have in our 37 years of marriage from this. We never dreamed it would turn into our nightmare for over a year and a half of problems, the roof of which is just the tip of the Iceburg. It's a long story ( 28 pages long to be exact which I don't care to relive)of fighting the numerous problems for over a year and a half, not counting the over seven plus months it was in somebody's repair shop,out of our possesion, but Bryan rescued us before we went over the deep end.
My problem is I am a perfectionists and I like everything working and in tip top shape (this comes from my ten years in the USMC). This product finally puts an end to my frustration and the roof is now snow white with a deep gloss that is supposed to repel the staining, and now all I have to do is maintain it like washing it now and then. When the luster was all gone, everything that landed on it embedded itself deep into the pores of the fiberglass. Hopefully this is the end of that.Now I can go Camping for three weeks in North Carolina and Tennessee after I leave Freightliner in Gaffney next week for the M-3 maintenance and a wheel alignment. My frustrations are now put to an end. Sorry for getting long winded, John, I enjoy your posts, keep em coming. You remind me of E.F. Hutton, when he talked everbody listened.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
KCE
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info Bob. I'll check it out.
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I used PolyGlow on my 95 Vectra which had been through years of neglect and was all faded and chaulky when I got it. Here is the link to one of the last photos of the coach taken after it burned up. The PolyGlow had been applied about 6 to 8 months earlier and the coach was bone dry when the photo was taken.

PolyGlow after the fire.

I would highly recomend PolyGlow. It was work to get the coach cleaned up enough for the application but afterwards I basically washed my coach by simply hosing it down. Sometimes I used a mild car wash just spraying it on and hosing it off and occasionly would use a long handles brush to lightly swab it down.

If it gets messed up after several years you just PolyPrep it again and start over.

Friends of mine just had a boat detailer do their 94 Bounder with PolyGlow and they are more than pleased with the results. Their only regret is that they had not done it earlier as the suface was now so rough and uneven from the weather they would have had to sand off too much to make it even again. They are no longer ashamed of their coach.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Well.. I'm still not sure what the issue is with your roof. I really don't care if my roof is stained or has bird poop on it. Once or twice a year, I get on top with my pressure washer and blast (carefully) the layer of detritus off, then soap it down, then scrub it with a brush, then rinse it with the pressure washer. Good-to-go at that point. I could care less if my roof has a luster or not.

I also like everything to work properly and I am really, really grumpy when the coach isn't 100% performing nominally. After investing over $200K in a product, I have high expectations.

Of course not everything is going to work correctly all the time, and you are exactly right - Bryan at Winnebago (and factory service) has made our ownership experience a wonderful thing.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Well.. I'm still not sure what the issue is with your roof. I really don't care if my roof is stained or has bird poop on it. Once or twice a year, I get on top with my pressure washer and blast (carefully) the layer of detritus off, then soap it down, then scrub it with a brush, then rinse it with the pressure washer. Good-to-go at that point. I could care less if my roof has a luster or not.

I also like everything to work properly and I am really, really grumpy when the coach isn't 100% performing nominally. After investing over $200K in a product, I have high expectations.

Of course not everything is going to work correctly all the time, and you are exactly right - Bryan at Winnebago (and factory service) has made our ownership experience a wonderful thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,

One of the most beautiful things about my PolyGlow job on my old coach was no more chaulking from the roof getting on my sidewalls. It made it so much easier to keep the front glass clean too without the haze from the roof runoff. Here in Florida 24/7 the sun can really beat up your roof quickly.