Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2022, 04:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

1990 Minnie winnie Warrior

Need to seal the roof and it’s in rough shape. I’ll have to remove piles of sealer and caulk on the roof areas and around windows. What type of sealer is used? I’ve looked through the manuals and the only info was to take to the dealer. Hoping to put o a Edpm type coating
MaryDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

With time comes lots of different tries at sealing and that means there is likely no way to know what folks have used. If there are piles of caulk, you may have every type sold!
So what to do?
Choose the new as you feel right and there can be any number of good ones, partly due to marketing! For my tea, I like Dicor.

But one thing is true of all and that is they will work better if the area is truly clean. Many refuse to use some types if silicone has been used before as they feel new will not stick to silicone.

This is where I often tend to see it differently as I have some experience with resealing fish tanks, where silicone is the most common/prefered type. I have learned that it is not the silicone but the way the area is cleaned! Much like painting, the result requires good prep!

Clean the area of the old caulk, without regard for what type. Pileson topof piles shows bad technique. A small thin layer of 1/4 or less works better than a pile on top of one that is already loose!
Think like a raindrop! If you are running across a roof and come to a pile will it stop and find a way under better than comming to a smooth even edge where it is easy to go up, over and off?

After the pile is removed,scrub it down really good with alcohol/ paint thinner to get the film off before going with new.

I find great value in an oscillating tool for removing the old without gouges. I had a gifted high dollar one which wore out quite quickly but replaced it with this cheap one which has lasted very well:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...2?athbdg=L1200
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for your insight. I understand that all old materials need to be removed. A little apprehensive about getting it completely off the areas but I will use your advice. I am looking at the product you mentioned. I saw the product recommended to clean it before the sealant application. Would you use a 4” wide tape like eternabond, then roll on the dicor? The areas around the vents and ac unit will have to fixed. That’s why I was looking at the tape and not a tube of sesl
MaryDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The oscillating tools are so valuable that you should think beyond just this use. I would recommend getting a battery operated one with at least two batteries.

I have the porter cable, which is reasonable at <$70 for the tool. Batteries are always a bit pricey, but you can usually find a couple of the smaller ones for under $50 or so. Be sure and get them with a charger.

If this is the only time or use you have in mind there are probably some cheaper options.

That said, it would be invaluable in cleaning off old caulking. Then clean really well as Morich points out.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

For cleaning silicone off glass, it is not just scraping it off with razor blade scrapers as that leaves a film that one can't see and it WILL keep new silicone from sticking on the old film.
To remove that film requires scrubbing clean with a cleaner like alcohol or paint thinner and letting it dry.
Then when ready to go back and after letting it dry, wipe it good with clean cloth to remove the haze that may still be there. Cleaner than my plate at dinner time?

On horizontal surfaces, I like the Dicor that self levels as it takes less of my attention on making a smooth edge. But that is as much personal choice as anything I can state better than others. Just what I have found has worked and sticking with it?

And that applies to choice on tools.
I work at home much of the time and batteries are just a pain to me on many things as it is one more thing to get ready before starting.
The good part for me on the oscillating tool is that we don't have to push hard to get through crusty old hard caulking.That is when I tend to get out of control and punch something I don't want to! With the tool, it is a matter of thousands of small punches done so quick and fast, it doesn't need much force. It's about the only way I've found to get caulking off bricks!

I have used Eternabond but it never seemed to fit just where I wanted on surface, so I used the rest when taking things off and making a "sandwich" under things like vents.

Personal choice with no real complaints on either? I like multi purpose things and find I can use up a full tube for several things like along the edges and get it all used before it goes bad, where the tape always seems to set around and get old too quick.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

"and batteries are just a pain to me"

Everyone is different I hate getting out power cords and dragging them around. I have several of almost every tool because I have two houses. And the Winnie has a 3rd set I'm now accumulating. I can't imagine going back to a cord. If you stick with one brand you'll have multiple batteries and several chargers. I never run out.

Anyway, good point on the cleaning. When the stuff doesn't stick it's always because it didn't get cleaned properly. I use mineral spirits when it will not harm the surface underneath. Otherwise alcohol.