Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

My wife and I just purchased a 1988 34' Winnebago SuperChieftain (Chevy 454) in what appears to be in really good condition. It previously had 1 owner, extensive service records, less than 5k on tires, relatively new trans and driveshaft, 69k orig miles (mostly tailgating parties), etc. All of the systems (AC, reefer, furnace, air bags, generator, etc.) seem to work great. Cosmetically its in really nice shape too (looks just like the original sales brochure - which we also have). Anyway, I'm trying to find out if there are any specific problems with this model that we should be aware of. My wife and I both grew up in camping families (she with pull-behinds, I with tents/truck campers). We travel from Tennessee to SD/Wyo each year on vacation, have grown really tired of motels, and are upgrading to RV travel. We plan on becoming full-timers in a few years when we retire, converting our present residence to a rental (among others) and migrating from Maine to Tennessee to Biloxi MS as the seasons shift, so we are using this RV as our test vehicle/home. A further question involves the use of a 1997 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (not Grand) as a toad - What is involved in doing a 4 wheel down tow? Can I do this, or will I have to get a dolly?
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

My wife and I just purchased a 1988 34' Winnebago SuperChieftain (Chevy 454) in what appears to be in really good condition. It previously had 1 owner, extensive service records, less than 5k on tires, relatively new trans and driveshaft, 69k orig miles (mostly tailgating parties), etc. All of the systems (AC, reefer, furnace, air bags, generator, etc.) seem to work great. Cosmetically its in really nice shape too (looks just like the original sales brochure - which we also have). Anyway, I'm trying to find out if there are any specific problems with this model that we should be aware of. My wife and I both grew up in camping families (she with pull-behinds, I with tents/truck campers). We travel from Tennessee to SD/Wyo each year on vacation, have grown really tired of motels, and are upgrading to RV travel. We plan on becoming full-timers in a few years when we retire, converting our present residence to a rental (among others) and migrating from Maine to Tennessee to Biloxi MS as the seasons shift, so we are using this RV as our test vehicle/home. A further question involves the use of a 1997 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (not Grand) as a toad - What is involved in doing a 4 wheel down tow? Can I do this, or will I have to get a dolly?
Old 04-09-2006, 01:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome, I would check the date on your tires. Rv tires are good for about six years its not the mileage but the age that contributes to blow outs.
As far as I know there is no problem in towing Jeeps as long as they are 4wd. Be sure the hitch it weight rated for your Jeep. A good tow bar,lights and I recommend a brake system too ,tho some folks say this is not necessary. DON"T BACK UP WITH A TOW. Some other folks may have different answers
Sounds as if you have a good plan, good luck in implementing it...Safe Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Agree with Ichn2go...replace the tires if more than 6 yrs. old. Mileage and treadwear mean little, age is everything.

Most seem to prefer 4 down towing vs. dolly...I started out with an older gasser like you and got a tow dolly. After about 4 trips with the dolly, sold it and rigged my Explorer for towing. You might want to check hitchtrader.com for used tow equipment. Also recommend a supplemental brake system for whatever yout tow.

One thing you might want to check carefully is the roof edge seam on the rig. Not sure how they built them in 1988, but the Winnebago roof-to-sidewall seam is a known weakness (prone to leaks) if it is not re-sealed perodically. Get on a ladder and press the roof material and if you seen any separation of the sealant, you will need to remove and replace (or use Eternabond tape and never have to do anything again).

Good luck and enjoy your time on the road.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:39 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:00 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Welcome.

I agreee with the tire advice. Purchase a Trailer Life Campground book. It has a list of all states and provinces in it with particular rules, regs regarding towing and brakes on the towed vehicle.

I just had my 99 Jeep Wrangler hardtop weighed a couple of weeks ago. It is a little over 3600 pounds empty with 1/4 of gas. Your Cherokee will be heavier, I think. Most limits for towed veicles without brakes is 1,500 to 3,000 pounds. Canada will get you for sure without any brakes in the towed vehcle. In the USA it is hit and miss unless you have an accident. Then it will get checked.

I priced a new Brake Buddy the other day. About $1,100. I have an old one and have it set so it only works if I really jam on the brakes in my motorhome. They do work and trhey do help.

You can back up when towing your Jeep..........
ONE TIME. The reason you can't is because it will bend the tow bar. They are made for towing, not backing and have no strength for being pushed on instead of pulled on.

Youre owners manual for the jeep will give you instructions on towing and hookup. I copied that page of my manual and taped it to the driver's sun visor for quick reference.

Good luck and you will enjoy it!!!

Doug, SKP#91462

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:20 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
You can back up when towing your Jeep..........
ONE TIME. The reason you can't is because it will bend the tow bar. They are made for towing, not backing and have no strength for being pushed on instead of pulled on.

Your owners manual for the jeep will give you instructions on towing and hookup. I copied that page of my manual and taped it to the driver's sun visor for quick reference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GREAT advice....I do the same except I've used gum bands for the page on the visor and I laminated the page.

Good luck and you will enjoy it!!!

Doug, SKP#91462[/QUOTE]
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Walrus -

Welcome to the world.I am sure you will enjoy it especially if you can minimize problems or at least their impact to you and your trip.

GET an EMERGENCY ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE package. Do this especially with an older RV. It will cost you a hundred a year or so but if you have a blow out 1 time it will pay for itself many times over. Personally we use CoachNet and a lot of other people do also but there are several companies available. Possibly your insurance company provides one but make sure it is for an RV, not an automobile.

I cannot re-inforce the previous postings enough to check the age of the tires.

Good luck and have lots of fun. Stay safe-

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:44 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Glad to have you here. All good advice above. Withe age of the coach, I'd be sure and reseal al of the roof seams with the appropiate sealer. Also check the seal at all of the windows.

AS for towing, you need to get a brake system with a break away system for your Jeep. An easy to use one is the Brake Buddy. The sponsors on this site sell tow bars, so be sure anc check with them.

Ken
Old 04-09-2006, 06:14 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Something additional I might add, if I may. Once you get the MH loaded with all that you think you will need - GET IT WEIGHED! Know the axle weights and each wheel corner weights, if possible. You don't want to exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating which is probably posted somewhere in the coach. Good tires won't last long if it is overloaded.

Safe traveling!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Be sure to keep the front air bags inflated to the proper pressure as this affects the front end alignment. If you have an alignment done inflate the air bags to proper pressure and make sure the shop uses the specs for the motorhome chassis instead of the P-30 truck.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Give me your weights on your 38R, total, front, rear and lf, rf, rr and lr.

I'm weighting my 38R in a week or two.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Walrus, I think I can help, as I had an 88 S-C,
We loved it. Many happy miles!!! Did have a de-
lam problem above the storage doors on dr. side.
And coach was garaged. Better yet, PM me and I will give you, no better yet I will call you,
give me a time and #, since I have free cell!
TENN.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Hi L_Walrus...I had an 88 Superchief 34' too, and really liked it. The only problem that I can remember was the ceiling/headliner would sag when it was damp or raining.Also had several blowouts because I used the old,but not worn tires. Enjoy it...lenOrge
lenOrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
... Most limits for towed veicles without brakes is 1,500 to 3,000 pounds. ... In the USA it is hit and miss unless you have an accident. Then it will get checked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is incorrect. The rules commonly quoted are for towed trailers, not towed vehicles. Most states do not have rules for toads at the moment.

That being said I think an auxillary brake system is a good idea.
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:30 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Bouldereado,

We agree on your last sentence; get the brake system.

Doug, SKP#91462

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all the info. The tires have about 5k and 16 months on them (the previous owner had great service records/receipts). I have been frequenting the RV websites for a while, and based on the posts I've read, I was already thinking about the Brake Buddy system (the Jeep weighs about 3900 pounds at its full fighting trim), and your posts have been very helpful. Will be making provisions to have one put on the Jeep. My other toad alternative (for when my wife and I travel alone) is a Honda CRX, and may not need the system (it weighs 1900 pounds). We were looking at the Good Sam club and their roadside assistance service package, but will happily check out the others before committing. Looking at the SuperChieftain-specific comments, it looks like we made a pretty good choice. This is an excellent forum, and you folks make a fellow feel right at home! Thanks for everything!
Old 04-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I had an 88 Super Chief. This was Winnebago's first basement model. The sidewalls had delamination problems above the storage doors. It's easy to spot, just sight down the beltline moulding above the doors and see if it's wavy. Winnebago completely redesigned it and called it the Adventurer.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote