Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1988 Winnebago Chieftain 27RU ?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

I need help bad !! I drove 2 hours out of town and purchased a 28' 1988 Winnebago Chieftain . 37,000 original miles . The previous owner done a quick walk through with me and showed me the basics. Including lighting and generator. Everything worked perfect and I purchased it . I drove2 hours home and parked it . Today I noticed the lighting and gerator werent working . Tried fuses and breakers. Im lost . PLEASE HELP !!!! We got it use for the holidays and I dont have long . lol
beachndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachndad View Post
I need help bad !! I drove 2 hours out of town and purchased a 28' 1988 Winnebago Chieftain . 37,000 original miles . The previous owner done a quick walk through with me and showed me the basics. Including lighting and generator. Everything worked perfect and I purchased it . I drove2 hours home and parked it . Today I noticed the lighting and gerator werent working . Tried fuses and breakers. Im lost . PLEASE HELP !!!! We got it use for the holidays and I dont have long . lol

Call Winnebago:

Contact

They have back to 1990 on line and probably have yours available.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Are you talking about the 12 volt side of things??? Did you by chance turn the main switch off that controls the 12 volt system on the coach? It could be possible that the coach (house) batteries are drained. How old are they? Did you try plugging the rv into a 120volt power source and let the batteries charge a bit?
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Cool

I looked and there arent any batyeries in the aux compartment . But all electrical worked on the 2 hour trip home , just not the next day . Today Im going to try and put in batteriesto see if that will allow me to start my generator. I didnt switch the aux battery switch off but I tried to switch it to aux just to be sure , but does nothing . Keep in mind it all worked the night I purchased it somehow the way it is now. I emailed Winnaebago and got some manuals sent but I have to print them out before I can go through them . My priblem is something very simple but Im new at rv's and its taking some effort to figure it out . lol
Old 10-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I tried a deep cycle battery from my boat . Im onky getting a ckick from the cilonoid in the battery compartment wich I figure is normal but still no power . I tried pushing the aux batt button to make sure its on and the switch doesnt do anything but click the cilonoid in aux batt compartment . It all worked the way it is for the entire 2 hour trip home. Is there something Im missing since Im new to this ? Im not even getting power to my generator ti start it qnymore ! Im 100% lost !!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I havrnt plugged it in yet because I dont have a 30amp service wired . Is there a trick to run it from q drop chord maybe . Figured as long as you didnt run heat or ac it mite work ?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You may have a Battery switch somewhere. My MH has a house battery switch located in the battery compartment. This is a manual switch. Near the entrance to the MH I have a row of switches for lights, etc. one of the switches is labelled battery and controls a relay to disconnect the batteries when dry camping to conserve battery life when you aren't in need of 12 volts to run lights, etc.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My little panel by the door doesnt have a button for power shutoff . WhenI press the aux button it does ckick the silonoid but does nothing else.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

On the trip home it was all working fine somehow with out any aux batteries under the step. Now Ive added a deep cycle and still nothing but the click . It must have been running before off the engine battery somehow. Not sure.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I havrnt plugged it in yet because I dont have a 30amp service wired . Is there a trick to run it from q drop chord maybe . Figured as long as you didnt run heat or ac it mite work ?
You can plug in to shore power but you will need an adulator 30amp to regular house 110 plug. You may have one of these in the motor home somewhere. That should give you power to basic items, not the AC. Will the motor home engine start.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Yea. All the dash and engine powers fine. No priblems there. just from driver seats to the back .
Old 10-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the Winnebago family – the company has excellent resources online.
Brochure archive
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/index.php
Operator Manuals
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/operatormanuals.php
Manuals & Diagrams
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/
Links on the page above to
If you go here Service Parts List with your model year and the last 5 digits of your Winnebago serial # (not the VIN, the Winnebago number) you can get a listing of all the parts used to build your specific RV
Parts Catalog

Plumbing Diagrams
Wiring Diagrams
R.V. Parts and Accessories Catalog -
How to Identify a Motor home -
Sealants Callout Sheets
Operator Manuals
Paint Code Manuals
Audio Video Guides
Supplier Links
Click here
Service Tips:
Service Tips
It's also a good idea to register you as the new owner. Link below
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/secondowner/index.php
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Yea. All the dash and engine powers fine. No priblems there. just from driver seats to the back .
Anything else to report?
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Just got all my power working . Seems my aux battery switch has a bad spit it the movement of. the switch . A lil bit of wiggle in seem to make its contacts work . Gonna order a new one tommorow . Coulda been worse .

Tags
winnebago, wiring, wiring diagram