Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2023, 08:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Which Hitch Lock?

What are the preferred methods of locking the hitch on your trailer? What should we consider? I expect to use a simple key padlock while actually towing, but when we unhitch at a campground and ,eave the trailer to go exploring what does everyone use to prevent a thief from driving off with your trailer?

Thanks for suggestions.

Jim
RVJimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I use a Trimax UMAX100 Premium Universal Dual Purpose Coupler Lock . Ive used this on my previous camper as well as our 2022 1708FB. Very happy with it. Link to Amazon here:
https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-UMAX10...%2C192&sr=8-14
Old 03-29-2023, 12:53 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have the Blaylock, love its security with the cylindrical lock.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cou...s/BLTL-34.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cou...ady/63227.html
Old 03-29-2023, 03:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Hmmm, in the 8 years I owned a TT I never once locked the hitch. Not in storage. Not at a campground. Not while towing.

But then we don't lock the front door of our motorhome when camping now, either.

A. I'm not the least bit worried about RV theft
B. I have insurance should anything unexpected happen

Do thefts happen? I'm sure. But I'm more likely to be hit by lightening... twice. So, I don't worry about low risk things like someone stealing my RV. Now... my RV's catalytic converter? That's a different story.

Someone here called me a fool for not locking my Progressive Industries PT50 EMS a few years ago - 3-yrs later and I'm still not locking it and it's still not been stolen and I'm still not worried about it. Still foolish? Yes, definitely.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

A professional thief can defeat any hitch lock on the market. Your trailer can be stolen even if you have a Ft Knox lock. All they have to do is chain up your tongue to a truck and haul your tailer away. A cheap hitch lock discourages a casual thief, and keeps honest people honest. For the professional? That’s why you have insurance.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I’m going to go a little sideways on this thread and highlight some of the things addressed in creativeparts last post. With regards to insurance – know what your policy covers. In 2021 we were rear ended while towing our popup. I learned the hard way that your insurance policy will cover the basic cost of the RV - not any modifications or equipment. In my case I should have fought with the other persons insurance to try to recoup some of the cost of modifications I had in the trailer.
I did speak with my Insurance Agent regarding the extra $10K I sunk in our new 1708FB. I have the option to modify that policy, however my premiums will also increase. The only reason I’m even posting this is to try and save folks the headache if something bad were to happen. Odds are against it, but the consequences can be tuff to shoulder.
The only reason I lock my trailer hitch is because I had a friend who did have is TT stolen right off his property. For me, a $50 lock isn’t a guarantee, but it does keep honest folks honest, and gives me a bit of peace of mind.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I really trust this Proven Lock Model 2516. It is so strong that only the very determined with tools and time will get it off. The safety chains store inside the lock. https://www.provenlocks.com/products/model-2516

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:14 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Well, for the most part, we boondock and are generally pretty far off the beaten path. Sometimes we are the only TT in the campground. We also do a lot of day hikes and are gone 8 - 10 hours a day.

In these instances, we lock our hitch with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NUNFKS6...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

During the odd times we are in a State Park, or sardine can campground, we don't bother to lock it up. While traveling, we lock with a simple paddle lock, just to keep someone with nothing to do from flipping the hitch level up.
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If we come back from an excursion and our trailer is gone, maybe somebody did us a favor.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:59 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We used 'trailer wheel locks' on our rigs - lots of options available. Some guys used a heavy duty chain passed through both wheels and over the axle. Still - a determined thief with time and tools will figure it out - but generally will just move on to the next rig.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:28 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

"Still - a determined thief with time and tools will figure it out - but generally will just move on to the next rig."

Very true. Most thieves are looking for the low-hanging fruit. Frankly, I am more worries about the stuff around camp or someone breaking into the TT while we are gone. No respect for other people's property. It is sad what has happened to this country.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:41 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Hunter View Post
" Frankly, I am more worries about the stuff around camp or someone breaking into the TT while we are gone. No respect for other people's property. It is sad what has happened to this country.
I think this is a concern for many of us campers. We do all our living and cooking outdoors. Camp Chairs, Tables, Camp Stoves, Lanterns, Fire Pit and floaties would be a free for all for any thief.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:37 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Hitch locks

There is a lock that has a cast piece that includes a ball which fits into the tongue and incorporates a shackle that locks in. Good concept however a ball peen hammer shatters the casting easily in one blow..
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I don't own a TT but I do have $80,000 Yamaha 242L Limited Boat. The hitch is NEVER locked. This is our 4th boat and we have mainly stored them at home, but we also have stored them at Marina and at Campgrounds.

I have never heard of boats, RVs or TT being stolen. I am sure it happens, but never had it come up to worry about.

Regardless, I would think any of the choices cited above would be more than adequate. It sounds like it would be good Peace of Mind for some, but I have seen people insist to put deadbolts locks in their homes and the thieves just break the glass right next to the door and turn the key to open the door. Some put the entire family at risk as they use dead bolts locks that require a key and the key is removed; then during an emergency like a fire, family members may get stuck because they could find the key and could not get out.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:15 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I have never heard of boats, RVs or TT being stolen. I am sure it happens, but never had it come up to worry about.
I was at a resort several years ago when a boat trailer came up missing from the back boat trailer parking area when the owner decided to leave and take his boat out of the water. He was leaving the same time we were and was standing there scratching his head when we left with our trailer to retrieve our boat.

It happens. We never heard what happen, if it was stolen or a case of mistaken identity, as we never went back to that resort.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:18 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Hunter View Post
I was at a resort several years ago when a boat trailer came up missing from the back boat trailer parking area when the owner decided to leave and take his boat out of the water. He was leaving the same time we were and was standing there scratching his head when we left with our trailer to retrieve our boat.

It happens. We never heard what happen, if it was stolen or a case of mistaken identity, as we never went back to that resort.
How right you are, but I never thought about boat trailers Ironically when we put our boat in the water, the hitch pin is the style that has a key lock so the trailer is secured with steel on the SUV. Can't think of where our trailer is left alone freestanding without the boat on it?

But I understand some things are stolen. In fact; overnight I remembered about a year or so ago, someone was floating a video where some thieves had managed to get inside a gated RV storage facilities and drove off with 3 RVs. Not sure how they started them; but the video show them ramming through the gate.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:24 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
But I understand some things are stolen. In fact; overnight I remembered about a year or so ago, someone was floating a video where some thieves had managed to get inside a gated RV storage facilities and drove off with 3 RVs. Not sure how they started them; but the video show them ramming through the gate.
Have you seen the YouTube video of the guys stealing a cargo trailer full of "Big Boy Toys?"

The resort I was at is mostly a fishing resort where people launch their boat and either beach it, or moor it at a dock for the week. With that said, my son never leaves his $80k bass boat in the water. However, when it is on the trailer, it is attached to his truck, so he can get launched before first light.