Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-12-2023, 06:28 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

The tire recall recorded message at the Winnebago customer service line says “This repair has to be performed by a Winnebago dealer” my guess is they won’t ship.

My selling dealer removed the bracket before delivery and can already see any other dealer wanting to see the original before giving me the replacement. hence I went ahead and bought one to keep me going (tire weighs 59LBS btw)

So I just send a message to [email protected]
asking if any dealer should do this recall and FYI my local dealer won’t return calls/email about it, what’s up with that.

Customer service thinking at most RV brands is at bird brain level.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:12 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I'm at 3rd week with faulty battery, the communication is so piss poor that I'm ready to hire a lawyer.
Old 06-13-2023, 12:04 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Local dealer called back! maybe my email to WB stirred something loose. they said they would order the part but may be a while yet. Recalls they’ll do no problem they said.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 06:08 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Photo of new carrier?

If anyone has a photo of the new tire carrier could you post it thanks.
- steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 06:30 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I have not been notified of this recall yet. Ours was built in March 2022. I’m curious if they have sent out all notifications yet.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 05:38 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Prior to the recall my tire holder and tire left the trailer while on a interstate. Luck on my side I guess as I was able to stop and recover the mess without any additional grief. Called customer service without any success. So the China spare now rides in the truck bed.

Now to add further insult, another recall (dated 06/09) just received that the solar panel is now at risk of also falling off because the "mounting hardware could come loose and lead to a full detachment."

Still trying to reach out to the nearest dealer, Fort Meyers, but service dept does not answer and goes to "Leave a Msg" and so far no return call.

So I will continue to fill up their answering machine and and probably need to prepare my old body that another trip to the roof is in my future. The first trip being when the bath vent fan began flapping in the wind due to drywall screws not screwed in the the roof truss.
Stillmovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 03:37 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
I have not been notified of this recall yet. Ours was built in March 2022. I’m curious if they have sent out all notifications yet.
Here is a cut-and-paste from the spare tire mount recall letter: Winnebago Towables has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on certain 2021 through 2023 Winnebago Micro Minnie model series. These vehicles were manufactured August 20, 2020, through April 10, 2023.

I don't know if all the notifications have been sent.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:08 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

I have not received a recall notice for this but I found the NTSB information on it.
Microminnie Tire Carrier Recall Info

Still no information on the new design. I hope they accommodated use of the frame mounted receiver.

-steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7477.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	186368  
Old 07-08-2023, 07:03 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

I had my spare tire carrier replaced due to the recall yesterday at the dealer.

It is exactly like the original one except that the bolts for attaching the spare tire to the carrier are different.

The old bolts were carriage bolts with a spring clip retainer and were able to move around a bit.

The new version has hex head bolts which are welded to the carrier.

So, I'm a bit confused about the recall notice stating that welds were breaking on the carrier.
Did my local dealer put the wrong replacement part on?
Old 07-08-2023, 08:19 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Welding the bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewizard View Post
It is exactly like the original one except that the bolts for attaching the spare tire to the carrier are different.

The old bolts were carriage bolts with a spring clip retainer and were able to move around a bit.

The new version has hex head bolts which are welded to the carrier.?
This “fix” doesn’t seem to address the description of the problem?

- steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7521.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	186582  
Old 07-08-2023, 08:42 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

I think the "new" spare tire carrier is indeed shorter than the old one by an inch or two so I guess the issue has been addressed. My quick eyeball measurement at the dealer saw little difference other than how the bolts were attached to the carrier.
Old 07-08-2023, 01:25 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Tired of waiting

Keeping the spare in the 5’ Tacoma bed just takes up too much room. And who knows how long before we see a WTOW replacement?
So, I broke down and ordered the $35 one on Amazon and installed it today.

It seems well made and sturdy. The steel plates are definitely thicker than the original. Its not tall, which should be more rugged than the original, but it does place the spare lower. I had to cheat the mount to the left to clear the 2” rear (bike carrier) receiver.

I’ll go with the WTOW replacement if it looks like a better solution, but for now I’ve regained utility in the truck bed.

- steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7522.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	186586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4156.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	186587  

Name:	IMG_4157.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	186588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4158.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	186589  

Name:	IMG_4153.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	186590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4155.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	186591  

Old 07-10-2023, 10:45 AM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMinnie View Post
Anyone have a picture handy of the original shipped bracket ? my trailer did not come with spare tire carrier due to recall
I'll take one when I get a chance and post it here.

I finally did replace the Westlake spare with a size the same as the GoodYear Endurance tires I had put on the rig last year. Just got a trailer tire from Discount Tire Direct near me in the same size.

Seems to be considerably lighter that the Westlake, which looked to be an off-road tire which I can't understand why because the rigs wheels don't have any power to them.

I did beef up the hitch in question with some carriage bolts and for the time being it will work until I get to the dealer which has my replacement on hand. Won't be pulling the RV there just for that mod. It will be when I'm passing by on the way to a campsite.
Frankf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 01:23 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

We were shipped the replacement parts for the hitch recall as well as the new cabinet hardware for that recall. I guess we use the old u-bolts as no new ones were sent. As for the new cabinet hardware... the mounting holes are completely different. I am definitely not drilling all those new holes. Anyone else get the replacement hardware?
Old 07-25-2023, 06:16 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoSteve View Post
tt1951 & MicroMinnie-
Do you happen to know if winnebago will ship the part to owners?
Thanks, Steve
I asked the dealer and he said no as they have to verify installment of the new part and keep the old one.

I added a couple of bolts to the existing one for the time being. I have also replaced that off road tire with a normal rv/trailer tire. If the original rim and tire weighted 58 lbs, I'll have to weigh mine with the new tire.

Frankf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 11:56 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankf View Post
I asked the dealer and he said no as they have to verify installment of the new part and keep the old one.

I added a couple of bolts to the existing one for the time being. I have also replaced that off road tire with a normal rv/trailer tire. If the original rim and tire weighted 58 lbs, I'll have to weigh mine with the new tire.

I had the same question? It was pointed out to me that the recall letter states that it must be applied by a dealer.
Old 08-22-2023, 04:02 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoSteve View Post
If anyone has a photo of the new tire carrier could you post it thanks.
- steve
We had the recall replacement spare tire mount installed by a dealer. The gussets are larger, and the tire mounting bolts (fine thread) are welded in place.

The dealer, after some administrative struggling that involved WBGO, scheduled the replacement to be done on a pull-through basis - took about a half hour.

There is a state park we have been wanting to visit near the dealer so we made a trip out of it. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth a 200 mile roundtrip. Anyway, we can say we stisfied the recall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1930.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	187050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1933.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	187051  

Tags
recall