Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-23-2022, 12:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Prodigy P2 Brake Controller issues

I'm experiencing some issues with my brake controller setup. I have an overload error that only occasionally shows up. When it does show if I let off the break pedal and reapply it goes away. From what I've read so far, it's a short somewhere. I had my shop redo the brakes and look for any frayed wires. They said all looks good, magnets too. One thing I have noticed after they did this brake job, and resurfaced the drums I couldn't get the brakes to lock up no matter what setting on the controller. I had them re-adjust the brakes and it still will not lock up if I choose to so that I can set the controller. Manual manipulation or brake pedal. Not sure what's going on there. Also, if I set the manual lever on the controller to say 10.0 setting and then apply my brakes hard I can't get the controller to say above 4.0, like as if not enough signal is getting to the controller from the brake pedal.

Next issue is the controller is acting a bit strange with regards to it's levelness. The mfg says the controller can be setup at all kinds of angles, but what I'm now seeing says otherwise. The controller is mounted on the bottom of my dash board, probably at about a 30 degree angle in the bracket. In trying to see if my overload issue was a loose wire on the plug I started moving around the plug wires and applying brakes. I was seeing the lower than expected volt number on the controller, but when I pulled the controller out of the bracket and made the controller more level it all of sudden shot up to a higher volt reading. So for some reason the controller is not working correctly at the 30 degree mounting, but if I pull it out and make it more level it seems to increase gain.

I do have a second exact controller and it's doing the same thing. So unless both controllers are bad I'm at a loss to figure out why the 30 degree angle is not working and further is this all related together somehow?

Anyone come across something like this before?
Old 06-10-2022, 02:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Second issue is non issue. Spoke to manufacturer and they told me it's normal behavior.

But I'm still getting an over-load error on the brake controller every so often. It's not consistent, like noticing on way back from a trip, but not on the way.

My only options I can think of is to have my mechanics replace all the wiring from the controller to the truck 7-way plug and replace the plug as well. If that doesn't fix it then I've read to take the brake wiring that runs inside the trailer axles and run them on the outside to see if they are damage in any way.

Nobody else ever had a brake controller with an overload error?
Old 06-10-2022, 06:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes View Post
Second issue is non issue. Spoke to manufacturer and they told me it's normal behavior.

But I'm still getting an over-load error on the brake controller every so often. It's not consistent, like noticing on way back from a trip, but not on the way.

My only options I can think of is to have my mechanics replace all the wiring from the controller to the truck 7-way plug and replace the plug as well. If that doesn't fix it then I've read to take the brake wiring that runs inside the trailer axles and run them on the outside to see if they are damage in any way.

Nobody else ever had a brake controller with an overload error?
My P2 was always giving an OL error. I called them and was told it will do this if there is a bad connection so I replaced the 19 year old 7 way with a new one, harness included, plug & play (2002 F350). My second issue was it would just apply the brakes sometimes on it's own. I decided to replace it with the newer P3 model but have not done that yet as we bought a motorhome instead of a TT so I am not towing anything at the present time.
Problem is I don't use it very often so after replacing the old 7 way I can't tell you if it fixed anything. Maybe you could inspect all the wiring and if it looks good try a P3? In my case the wiring was chopped up by whoever spliced in a 7 way for a fiver so the new harness got rid of all that mess.
Sorry I couldn't help more but like I said if it were me I'd just get a P3 and go from there.

Tags
brake