Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2022, 10:41 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Cargo Doors Leaking

Hello all,

I pulled the cargo doors today, water was coming in behind the flange and through the rubber door gasket on to the cargo storage floor.

After pulling the frames to inspect, Winnebago just used some sort of caulking to seal/adhere the frames to the exterior wall. They also coated the inside 90 deg corner with caulking all around and over the hinge rivets.

What advice can you all provide in reinstallation. Should I use Butyl tape on the exterior flange or just caulk it with ProFlex, Sikalex or something similar. as did Winnebago. No sure why they loaded the inside 90 deg corner of the aluminum frame with sealant, can do the same.

Once installed, I will caulk around the outer lip, just to be sure no water goes in behind the flange.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would want to look carefully to make sure that is the true cause as many leaks are found at the joint between the door and the frame, rather than between the frame and body.
One way to telll if water is getting in between the door seal and body is to look for the minerals left as water dries.

Is there a trail of minerals on the door where the seal is letting it in?

You may be correct but the door seals take a lot more beaing and wear due to the movement and I have found them to be a real problem to make the door close well and still seal well over time.
I find rubber weatherstripping wears out pretty quick.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:14 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Richard, the rubber seal between the door and the frame were definatly worn. They had flattened out and provided little tension. The RV was exposed to southern exposure and never serviced so the caulking around all the trim and body had broken down.

I may have been able to just re caulk the rim of the frames, but decided to go one step further to be sure as these get the most use.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Good enough! Just wanted to warn if not doing the looking first?

Seems like I sometimes get an idea and find out later that I was chasing the wrong thing!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

On my Forza I had leaking behind rear wheels getting that boxes carpet wet . Found that wheels thru water up against box seam and Winnebago did not seal with enough caulking at the box meets frame . Put tape in wheel well area and then used undercoating to seal tape . Have had no leaking since .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:21 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

These thing being mass produced, there is always something that need fixed. Thus the reason for PDI lol.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:45 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I had a flooding of my outdoor kitchen area during a rain storm last winter. I ended up putting a really bright light in there at night went out and it shown through all the areas where water was getting in. I bought some rubber gasket and added it on top of the factory gasket solve my problem.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12528398-B788-426C-8506-90E3CB1CC103.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	183202  

Tags
door, leak