Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New minnie

Just purchased a like new 2014 Minnie 2101fbs, still sitting at dealer under a foot of snow, can't wait to use in spring. Anyone with similar unit could you let me know how it works for you. It will be just the wife and I traveling in it .
Eaglch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have owned a 2106 DS for 2 years and love it. The 2106 is the newer version of the 2101. It is just myself and my wife along with a dog. So a very similar situation to yours. We have had zero issues that required a professional repair. I have, however, done a couple of upgrades. Replaced the shower head with an oxygenics head, and replaced the plastic toilet with a porcelain toilet. Also put up some towel bars.

The 2 things that I would change if I could are the tankless hot water heater and the size of the grey water tank. The hot water heater works but is too sensitive to water flow so it can oscillate on/off if the water flow is not within a pretty narrow range. We have worked around the size of the 25 gallon grey water tank with a tote but it would be nice to not have to deal with that every 2-3 days.

Hoping you get an early spring.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We were supposed to pickup our 2018 2106FBS tomorrow but I've postponed it until Friday due to the snow that is supposed to start overnight. As I don't have any practical experience I can't talk much about how it is to use. I can say it has some definite quality of life improvements over our current trailer. The first big one is the walk around bed so there is no more crawling over each other to get out in the middle of the night. After that the full bath is very welcome over the wet bath in our current trailer. I think overall it is a great floor plan for two people.

A change I intend to make as soon as time allows has to do with the 30A service. We camp year round and use an electric space heater during the cold months. Because I don't like to have to turn stuff on and off to keep from popping the breaker I will be adding a 20A inlet and outlet that I can plug into the 15/20 amp circuit on the pedestal. This will let me run the space heater without having to worry if the water heater and fridge are also running from shore power. Other than that we will live with it for a while to see what we want to change.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I would recommend using the space heater on a trip or two before going to the trouble of running a new circuit. We use an electric space heater in our 2106 and have never had a problem. The water heater should be on gas and the fridge draws next to nothing compared to a residential unit. Enjoy your new trailer. We settled on a 2106 for the exact same reasons you did.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Ours has a tank type water heater so once it is up to temp the gas goes off and we stay on electric. I rather use the CG electric and save gas. While I haven't memorized where the outlets are in the trailer I've found there is never seems to be any where you really want one to be. The last one I installed took about 30 minutes.

Looking out at the snow coming down. Makes me glad it should be largely melted away tomorrow. It also makes me more anxious to get going on our early February trip and get away from, for us, these atypical cold temps.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had my 2106DS over an year now. Some things I did was buy plastic container with lids to hold my hoses and other things in the storage compartment. I also move the fire extinguisher from by the bed to other side of the entrance door so we would be bumping it. Also add a couple a metal shelves since storage is a minimal.
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Did you add the metal shelves to the bathroom closet? We have been thinking about installing shelves in there. Any pictures?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I bought metal shelves from Lowes and cut them down to fix. I also cut the back side of the anchors flush to hold the shelves. I also included a couple a extra pictures of a cutting board mount that I made and using command hooks to hold up towels. Sorry about the pictures. I will have to find another way to load them.
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Surge protection

Hi just picked up our 2101 1fbs today and loving it, purchased a 30 amp hard wired surge protector. Anyone have advice on where they installed theirs, and possible picture

Thanks
Old 02-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations. Sorry can't help with the hard wired unit as I use a portable. I saw here recently on the site that someone installed theirs in the shallow cabinet under the stove. It is next to the converter so should be easy to wire in.

Here is the link to the winnieowners thread: http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...or-350798.html and to the external post with picture: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/winn...ml#post3603087
Old 02-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Surge protection

Thanks so much I will check out!
Old 03-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglch View Post
Just purchased a like new 2014 Minnie 2101fbs, still sitting at dealer under a foot of snow, can't wait to use in spring. Anyone with similar unit could you let me know how it works for you. It will be just the wife and I traveling in it .
I have had our 2106FBS for three weeks now. Took it on its maiden voyage last week. Went from Texas to ABQ, to LAS to PSP. Two nights each place. We experienced 70-80 degrees to 32-40 degrees with snow and rain. We had to purchase a space heater in ABQ because of the cold. One little space heater and we were toasty warm. No issues pulling it either. Some of the mountain passes were a slow go though. Our son slept on the sofa bed. He is 6’1”. Other than the space between the cushions he did ok. Hope you are able to enjoy yours soon.
kitsonkt is offline   Reply With Quote